Opeth sales

Good question. I don't have a clue, but I'm sure recent albums outsell the older ones.

I believe Ghost Reveries was the 1st to be in the top 100 of Billboard in the US. It debuted at 64. Not sure how many copies were sold though.

I'm just interested to see how popular Opeth actually is. Cause they deserve to be very popular, and I have hopes for them to make Metal and Progressive music popular again (I mean real Metal). I bet Damnation sold much more than the other albums.

well with each release they get more recongnition, exposure, tours etc. Unless they sign to a major label, I don't think they'll get any bigger than Shadows Fall (04'-present) with Century Media.

opeth8 said:
Good question. I don't have a clue, but I'm sure recent albums outsell the older ones.

I believe Ghost Reveries was the 1st to be in the top 100 of Billboard in the US. It debuted at 64. Not sure how many copies were sold though.
yes but w/only 15K in sales so I doubt it's even cracked 100K at this point.

arzachel said:
yes but w/only 15K in sales so I doubt it's even cracked 100K at this point.

Damnation debuted at 5k in sales, so it was quite a leap. I'd agree that 100k probably hasn't been achieved, but given their worldwide popularity, I can't imagine it's far from reach.

GR is their best seller. I cannot remember where I read it but I think it was from an interveiw with Mike. So the move to RR has definitly made their sales grow. Im not to sure that their popularity has increased much. I know people who buy metal from RR as their majority and most of the time they just buy the albums that RR promote and dont really get into the band. A few of my freinds do this and I know alot more who do just that.

It would be great for Opeth to be very popular because they would influence more bands and therefore metal would gain more credibility in the eyes of other genereas.

Excuse the spelling mistakes.

in a terrorizer interview mikael said that orchid "only" sold 10-15000 copies and was their most obscure record. does this mean that the more popular ones like bwp and gr have sold much more?

NineFeetUnderground said:
roadrunner isnt really a "major" label. columbia, sony, arista, atlantic, etc. THOSE are "major" labels.
It's not but it's distributed by Universal, which is a major.

Pethical said:
in a terrorizer interview mikael said that orchid "only" sold 10-15000 copies and was their most obscure record. does this mean that the more popular ones like bwp and gr have sold much more?

Naw, their more popular albums sold less than their less popular obscure ones :D

Supposedly Porcupine Tree have sold over 400,000 records: link, so I'm sure Opeth have sold quite a bit.

Someone posted a Swedish interview conducted from Mike's apartment where they had the actual sales numbers. The one's I remember were 23,000 for Still Life and 68,000 for Blackwater Park. Damnation and Deliverance were slightly lower, in the 50s. No info on GR.

If you get a chance, search for that article in this forum (you might have to look at every interview thread to find it). It was one of the most poignant interviews I've ever read, metal or otherwise.