Opeth CD sales

I'd be interested to see the totals. I know BWP sold way more than Still Life, though those people may have bought backwards by now.

Dunno how much they sell but I have never found any Opeth record but BWP in a "regular" cd store around here... (considering that I even found some weird relapse grind-noise stuff...)

Originally posted by Moonlapse
Well the band get just enough to make ends meet, and Mikael has a day job... so you do the math :) hehe.

Serious? Where does he work? I can barely believe that with royalties from 5 albums coming the guys in Opeth need to work a day job to put food on the table. Maybe its because they are so damned good, but Opeth doesn't seem like a struggling band to me.

I really want to see the sales numbers now. I know the numbers are kept track of somewhere (saw the site once) but I can't remember where.

Yeah, he works at record store in Stockholm called Mellotronen (sp?). I remember him saying that his boss plays in some well-known prog band. Someone also posted a picture of the outside of the record store once.

I doubt he NEEDS to work there. BWP must have sold more than 50,000 copies. 50,000 really isn't that much.

Plus I'm sure they're pretty damn big over in Sweden. What would be considered underground metal in the US is more popular in Europe (so I've heard). I've heard that Dimmu Borgir has even played at the swedish grammy's!

who cares about record sales, it doesnt make the band good. Listen to opeth and stop worrying about such petty things. And millions hardly you must be new to the underground scene correct? They ain't mainstream so dont think about millions.

Originally posted by CladInDarkness
who cares about record sales, it doesnt make the band good. Listen to opeth and stop worrying about such petty things. And millions hardly you must be new to the underground scene correct? They ain't mainstream so dont think about millions.
right...ever heard of irony?
It would just be interesting to know how many CDs a band like Opeth sells, as I don't have any idea.If it's true that they sold about 50000 of BWP then it's really less than I expected.

I don't even have any idea. I know it wouldn't be 500,000 or anything but I haven't a clue. Aren't there sites with this info?

I think it was in an interview. I thought of metal sludge also, but they only list the gold/platinum stuff. First, that only counts the US. Second, they would definately not be in either category.

Lee B posted the sales figures of the earlier albums once. But I can't say I remember what they were.

Originally posted by Izzy Junior
I doubt he NEEDS to work there. BWP must have sold more than 50,000 copies. 50,000 really isn't that much.

50,000 is a VERY LARGE AMOUNT of albums sold.

And whoever said that Horror Show is CM's biggest seller...

Stuck Mojo sold almost 70,000 copies of Rising in the US alone. I'd bet some bands did greater numbers than that in Europe.

Originally posted by Stealth-Turtle
http://www.metal-sludge.com/SludgeScanChart.htm

I couldn't find them on the monthly listenings there, but I *know* they're in one of them, because I remember reading what each album sold about a year ago.

I think BWP was in the 80,000 - 90,000 range, but don't quote me. :p

Roar.

I looked everywhere for a site that had a database of all-time CD sales and this one was the closest I found as well. Its actually pretty interesting to read some of that stuff. If those figures are accurate (they are not 100% accurate due to the method the data is gathered, but the site claims it's the industry standard), bands sell a lot fewer albums than I thought they did. :eek:

@Hondo: its not true that its only gold albums. I saw Nevermore, In Flames, and bunch of other 'underground' metal bands in there (with patheticly small numbers too). But I think it does only count U.S. sales, which explains that. And you do need to keep in mind the realease dates while reading the data.

I skimmed through all the listings and I didn't see Opeth, although it's possible I missed it. I'm going to email the person that does the site and tell them to do all 5 Opeth albums next month.

Originally posted by Infinite Reach

@Hondo: its not true that its only gold albums. I saw Nevermore, In Flames, and bunch of other 'underground' metal bands in there (with patheticly small numbers too). But I think it does only count U.S. sales, which explains that. And you do need to keep in mind the realease dates while reading the data.

Oh, I thought it was only the major numbers. Either way.. yeah, it's only US, and most bands sell a lot around the world. I guess you'd have to ask the band.