Recent sales figures.

I remember some Akerfeldt interview where he says something that implies they don't get more than a 1000$ every month per person... Can anyone recall it?

Yes, aso in the interview mike said about having to sleep on someones couch and being strong minded to do what you wanted to do, but i'd like to think that financially there circumstances have improved somewhat, i mean roadrunner deal for starters and the there has never been so much merchandise available as well as albums, re-releases, bonus editions and alot mor touring?

I remember reading somewhere Mike just said roadrunner was paying them 'enough' or something..

Yes, aso in the interview mike said about having to sleep on someones couch and being strong minded to do what you wanted to do, but i'd like to think that financially there circumstances have improved somewhat, i mean roadrunner deal for starters and the there has never been so much merchandise available as well as albums, re-releases, bonus editions and alot mor touring?

Sleeping on the couch was just before the recording of still life. He was crashing in Jonas's apartment for a few months and pretty much wrote all the album there. I also read somewhere that his record collection was huge even back then, so much so that the cupboards in the apartment were filled up with his vinyls.:loco:

How can they support themselves on that kind of pay? They've got to be making more than that...

thats just the records company paycheck, add merch and cd/dvd sale to that plus touring % and thats it... i wouldnt worry about how they support themselves - could always sell some of there prs guitars ;)

thats just the records company paycheck, add merch and cd/dvd sale to that plus touring % and thats it... i wouldnt worry about how they support themselves - could always sell some of there prs guitars ;)

Akerfeldt himself said that they were barely getting through during this period we were talking about (when they'd only get 1000$ dollars every month or so). I don't think they had much merchandise sale back then. Now they've become a brand rather than just a band and things should be much easier for them.

^I have two, even though I don't consider it their best album... Let's see how many copies of Watershed I'm going to buy.

If I remember correctly, that statement of a 1000 dollars a month was already under the Roadrunner deal. I think they get this basic wage, but then it is supplemented by all the income from sales of merchandise, which varies monthly obviously.
Not that it is really any of our business ...

Is it just me or does 70 000 copies sold seem very low? Even a couple of years ago ... considering how many people show up for the gigs in every city they go to, and considering how many people with Opeth shirts you see nowadays (and even back then). 70 000 copies on a billion people (taking acount of Western world only) seems very very little. There are a lot more Opeth fans out there, and you have to add to that the people who bought an Opeth album because they read good reviews but didn't like it..

i am guessing that the 70,000 number is US sales. i remember someone in another board(dont remember which one) putting up soundscan numbers and BWP was in the 70K range or so and GR was in the 64K range. Worldwide numbers should be different.

I thought since GR lots of new opeth fans began collecting older album so Orch./Morn./SL sales should be more than 40K or 50K?:S

If I remember correctly, that statement of a 1000 dollars a month was already under the Roadrunner deal. I think they get this basic wage, but then it is supplemented by all the income from sales of merchandise, which varies monthly obviously.
Not that it is really any of our business ...

Is it just me or does 70 000 copies sold seem very low? Even a couple of years ago ... considering how many people show up for the gigs in every city they go to, and considering how many people with Opeth shirts you see nowadays (and even back then). 70 000 copies on a billion people (taking acount of Western world only) seems very very little. There are a lot more Opeth fans out there, and you have to add to that the people who bought an Opeth album because they read good reviews but didn't like it..

Yes that makes sense. I think it'd be pretty scary if you don't get a basic wage every month. Sales are unpredictable. And yes 70,000 seem very low. Like someone said I think many new fans (since GR) would be buying their old stuff too, cause Opeth seems to be the kind of band that you are either totally in or out. Like I did anyway. I started with BWP and then on one day I decided to go out (was living in London at the time) and buy all of their records. Left quite a hole in my pocket but was worth it.

Opeth seems to be the kind of band that you are either totally in or out.

If only Marmalade tasted like Opeth. That was my case too though I know a few people who only like a couple songs but can't handle others, which makes no sense to me but fair enough. Most people I've spoken to who really are into them own roughly about 5 albums atleast though. I've also noticed that even with new fans, they are encouraged to buy previous albums so even if little, I'm sure that contributes to sales.

I'm pretty sure he said they get 1000EUR a month, which is more than $1000. That's still pretty low I guess, but then again bands make much more money touring than selling albums, and tour their asses of they did, and probably will do, in the future. Also, the sales of merchandise must bring more income.