New possible spins on upcoming Opeth record...

Ivywell said:
Honestly , i think all they need to do is be themselves

Yes. Exactly. In the long run, I haven't been disappointed with any one second on any Opeth record since I discovered them back in '96. I say in the long run 'cause some stuff have definitely not stuck on the first listen, and sometimes not even on the 30th(!). This was the case with Ghost Reveries, the first times I listened to it it had its moments but all in all I got a very bleak and unsatisfactory feeling of the album. But, wise from previous encounters with new Opeth releases, I gave it time. But no. It just didn't happen. I listened to the album for weeks but it didn't get much better. But then, a late night as I was sitting in front of a sudoku and listening to GR on headphones, all of a sudden everything clicked into place. Everything made perfect sense - not one tone, pause, cymbal, bend, bass line, growl, elongated chord, word, semi-dist lick or anything/everything could've been done in any other way - everything was perfect. I had this moment of clarity that some people refer to as "Hallelujah moments" (which I - being the non-religious type I am - find a nauseating term) and could not help but listen to the whole record again - twice.

Oh my, this got out of hand... Well, as you probably understand, I love Ghost Reveries as much as I love all the previous Opeth records. Maybe even a bit more 'cause every time Opeth gives me the challenge and pleasure of digesting and merging myself with new musical creations of theirs without me detecting any signs of harmful, displeasing or misplaced stagnation, they have certainly outdone themselves again - and if you outdo the best...well, you figure it out :)

So far all of their records have brought the shivers and the tears as well as the "Yeaaahhh!!"s and the "Arrrghhh!!!"s :)rock:), and I can't believe that these feats could've been done without Opeth being sincere to themselves and making the music they love, cherish and evolve from. And as long as they keep doing just that, there're no worries for us.

So, in conclusion I'd like to bow my head to the above quote once more: all they need to do is to be themselves.

Rock on.

Dreadful said:
I don't care which genre or direction the band takes, as long as it's different than the other records. I don't want another blackwater park or another morningrise. If they start writing like 3-4 minute "simple" songs with keyboard/mellotron layers...that's cool with me. As long as it's a good

Well I´m thinking 5-7 min heavy songs. TGC and Wreath could prolly have been done in 7 rather 10-11 min.

CadenZ said:
Yes. Exactly. In the long run, I haven't been disappointed with any one second on any Opeth record since I discovered them back in '96. I say in the long run 'cause some stuff have definitely not stuck on the first listen, and sometimes not even on the 30th(!). This was the case with Ghost Reveries, the first times I listened to it it had its moments but all in all I got a very bleak and unsatisfactory feeling of the album. But, wise from previous encounters with new Opeth releases, I gave it time. But no. It just didn't happen. I listened to the album for weeks but it didn't get much better. But then, a late night as I was sitting in front of a sudoku and listening to GR on headphones, all of a sudden everything clicked into place. Everything made perfect sense - not one tone, pause, cymbal, bend, bass line, growl, elongated chord, word, semi-dist lick or anything/everything could've been done in any other way - everything was perfect. I had this moment of clarity that some people refer to as "Hallelujah moments" (which I - being the non-religious type I am - find a nauseating term) and could not help but listen to the whole record again - twice.

Oh my, this got out of hand... Well, as you probably understand, I love Ghost Reveries as much as I love all the previous Opeth records. Maybe even a bit more 'cause every time Opeth gives me the challenge and pleasure of digesting and merging myself with new musical creations of theirs without me detecting any signs of harmful, displeasing or misplaced stagnation, they have certainly outdone themselves again - and if you outdo the best...well, you figure it out :)

So far all of their records have brought the shivers and the tears as well as the "Yeaaahhh!!"s and the "Arrrghhh!!!"s :)rock:), and I can't believe that these feats could've been done without Opeth being sincere to themselves and making the music they love, cherish and evolve from. And as long as they keep doing just that, there're no worries for us.

So, in conclusion I'd like to bow my head to the above quote once more: all they need to do is to be themselves.

Rock on.

Haha, you got to be Lucia!

The Usurper said:
Haha, you got to be Lucia!

Yup! The third year music teacher students at Piteå Music High School traditionally perform the Lucia concert, and we decided - unanimously - to have a male Lucia. The concert is meant to be conducted in a humouristic fashion, so a tall unshaved dude with a Mjolnir around his neck that sings the lowest bass lines seemed an appropriate choice ;)