First week sales of Ghost Reveries - more than impressive!

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
From Blabbermouth. Not exactly Mariah Carey numbers, but I'm pretty blown away by this report.

OPETH's 'Ghost Reveries' Enters BILLBOARD Chart At No. 64! - Sep. 7, 2005 OPETH's latest album, "Ghost Reveries", has sold just under 15,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release (according to Nielsen SoundScan) to debut at position No. 64 on next week's The Billboard 200 chart. This is substantially more than the first-week tally of the band's previous album, "Damnation", which shifted a little over 5,000 copies upon its release in 2003.

"Ghost Reveries" has entered the national charts in the following countries:

#11: Finland
#21: Norway
#35: Australia
#62: U.K.
#64: USA

As previously reported, OPETH's video for the track "The Grand Conjuration", featuring a special guest appearance by STRAPPING YOUNG LAD drummer Gene Hoglan, has been posted online at Roadrun.com. The song comes off "Ghost Reveries", which was mastered on June 16 at the Cutting Room facilities in Stockholm and features a running time of 66 minutes.

OPETH utilized the services of Hoglan during the bulk of the recently completed Sounds of the Underground tour after the group's regular skinsman, Martin Lopez, went back to Sweden for treatment of a rare blood disorder he's had for most of his life. The band have since enlisted Martin Axenrot (BLOODBATH, WITCHERY, NIFELHEIM) to take over Lopez' duties until he's fully recovered.

A full OPETH biography, discography and global gig guide can be found at Rockdetector.com.

Also, excerpted from the above post/interview, here are the sales of the other albums in America, all of which are higher than I thought anyway.

Orchid (1995): 22,306
Morningrise (1996): 23,332
My Arms, Your Hearse (1998): 28,867
Still Life (1999): 23,377
Blackwater Park (2001): 63,251
Deliverance (2002): 47,510
Damnation (2003): 49,951

I hate to say it, but those figures are probably more of a testament to the marketing power of RR rather than the album being kickass. :(

Sanzen said:
I hate to say it, but those figures are probably more of a testament to the marketing power of RR rather than the album being kickass. :(

I think it's a credit to the reputability and past successes of the band.

Johan said:
I think it's a credit to the reputability and past successes of the band.

That only doesn't account for a first-week sales jump of 10,000 units. It's nothing against the band - this is probably one of the big reasons they signed with Roadrunner.

Sanzen said:
That only doesn't account for a first-week sales jump of 10,000 units. It's nothing against the band - this is probably one of the big reasons they signed with Roadrunner.

On the contrary, who but the already existing fans buy the album in the first week? Not many I'd wager.

Sanzen said:
You're a fucking idiot.

I think They are pretty high...
If they could sell 63K copies of Blackwater Park with the promotion of Music for nations and no Video.
Now with a video Opeth will get much more exposure without considering if the video was good or bad. any publicity is good publicity. Besides Roadrunner know how to promote thier albums.Look at what they did with Slipknot.
If it was up to me I'd give opeth a platinum.

Man In Black said:
You're a fucking idiot.

So now we can't even mention Roadrunner? Stop running your mouthpiece and think - when before did you see advertisment on an Opeth album like this? never.

To completely dismiss Roadrunner as being a big reason for this jump in sales is stupid and close-minded, Man in Black. WHY ARE YOU SO MYSTERIOUS.

Sweden - Opeth entered the Swedish Midweek charts at number 4 after two days of sales. - opeth.com

Those numbers for Still Life sure don't look right. MAYH has sold more? Now this is the USA right? I would have thought SL would have sold as many as BWP.

gatedropper said:
Those numbers for Still Life sure don't look right. MAYH has sold more? Now this is the USA right? I would have thought SL would have sold as many as BWP.
This is probably due to SL only being available as an import when originally released

the official site has been updated with all the charts. GR is number 84 in Denmark, I seriously never thought Opeth stood a chance on the Danish charts.

Sanzen said:
So now we can't even mention Roadrunner? Stop running your mouthpiece and think - when before did you see advertisment on an Opeth album like this? never.

To completely dismiss Roadrunner as being a big reason for this jump in sales is stupid and close-minded, Man in Black. WHY ARE YOU SO MYSTERIOUS.

lol, he called you a moron bacause that is EXACTLY WHY Opeth signed to RR, to make their album more availiable to people. Seriously, what other reason do they have for signing to RR?????

WTF is wrong with you?

Botfly said:
lol, he called you a moron bacause that is EXACTLY WHY Opeth signed to RR, to make their album more availiable to people. Seriously, what other reason do they have for signing to RR?????

Why, maybe stuff like a much larger advance, worldwide label support, and more money for touring/recording, Captain Recording Industry!

WTF is wrong with you?

well hell buddy, I guess I just forgot to READ HIS MIND USING THE INTERNET TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE FUCK HE WAS TALKING ABOUT.

shit dude, you're as stupid as him. :(