Ghost Reveries appreciation thread *FUCKING DOT*

wut wut

ROADS ICY ROADS
Apr 22, 2008
Ever since registering here and looking through various threads, I see constant bitching about Ghost Reveries from just about everybody. WTF?

Am I the only person here who thinks it's Opeth's best album so far? Opinions are opinions, but one thing is certain: GR is undeniably the best showcase for Martin Lopez's drumming. So, even if you don't like the album, you have to give it that much at least. I thought he was a great drummer before GR, but not 'legendary' great. On GR, he put out one of the best drumming performances EVER. This album launched him into legendary status, for me.

And all of the awesome songs... Hounds... Mire... Forest... Conjuration. That last one I feel gets way too much flak from people. It's an awesome song, 5:27-7:00 gives me chills every time at the sheer fucking brutality in Mike's vocals. The one song that EVERYBODY seems to love is, funnily enough, my least favorite song on the album: Ghost of Perdition. But even that kicks ass.

And the softer songs beat out any of the softer songs on Opeth's other metal albums, save for Melinda and Credence. Not counting Damnation for this, of course.

So, anybody agree with me?

I think it's amazing, but I still don't think it can beat BWP and SL. But it's definetly up there, and I don't understand the critics either, but I suppose it's a metter of taste. But I definetly think it's their most mature album so far (and something would be really wrong if it wasn't) but I suppose watershed will be even more so.

But yes, it's an amazing album, I don't even understand the complaints about the grand conjuration, that song is awesome, even though it's not the best from the album.

I wouldn't say it's my favorite Opeth record, but it is a pretty close second. It does, however, have my favorite-ever Opeth tune, which is The Baying of the Hounds.
Overall an amazing experience.

yup, i too have no idea why GR gets so much negativity on this board. its a matter of opinion and choice i guess. i find to be one of their best and its mike's best album as far as vocals go.

Ever since registering here and looking through various threads, I see constant bitching about Ghost Reveries from just about everybody. WTF?

Am I the only person here who thinks it's Opeth's best album so far? Opinions are opinions, but one thing is certain: GR is undeniably the best showcase for Martin Lopez's drumming. So, even if you don't like the album, you have to give it that much at least. I thought he was a great drummer before GR, but not 'legendary' great. On GR, he put out one of the best drumming performances EVER. This album launched him into legendary status, for me.

And all of the awesome songs... Hounds... Mire... Forest... Conjuration. That last one I feel gets way too much flak from people. It's an awesome song, 5:27-7:00 gives me chills every time at the sheer fucking brutality in Mike's vocals. The one song that EVERYBODY seems to love is, funnily enough, my least favorite song on the album: Ghost of Perdition. But even that kicks ass.

And the softer songs beat out any of the softer songs on Opeth's other metal albums, save for Melinda and Credence. Not counting Damnation for this, of course.

My favorite album, too.
-Production and Sound: Perfect
-Mike´s vocals: breathtaking
-Lopez´s drums: Crushing

I don´t even want to start writing about how much i love the songs on this album. Everythings just perfect. The contrasts, heavy-chilly... just kills me everytime I hear it. I freakin love it!!! It´s one of the best albums I´ve ever heard in my life.
But listening to the new stuff makes me think watershed will even outshine GR.(For my taste)
And I have to say i love the Surround mix of the album. It seems that everybody complains about that mix, but i never got why...? I think it sounds so damn nice... (Just thinking about the added echo in the mellow Harlequin Forest part...:worship:)

I don't hear many people bitching about GR; I think most agree that it is a great album. But I agree with you that Ghost of Perdition is way overrated and TCG gets too much flak. It's a really great song. I don't know if I would say it's my favorite on the album, but the first time I heard the CD, it just sounded like the "centerpiece" if that makes any sense. It was kind of like the climax and the rest of the album revolved around it.

"Ghost of Perdition" overrated?? wtf

My favorite song on Ghost Reveries is "Hours of Wealth". My least favorite is "TGC". I would rather TGC not be right after "Hours of Wealth" on the album, it ruins the mood...

I don't get why so many people dislike this album either. It's my favorite album next to Blackwater Park. The songs are just so damn well written. The contrasts and different moods, great riffs, Mikaels best vokals so far and damn well produced as well.

Iv'e heard a lot of people saying it's too happy sounding. What the F@ck?
It's probably not as sinister and evil sounding as Deliverence for instance, but to say it sounds happy? I don't get it.

Btw... The Harlequin Forest outro freakin' owns!!!

Yay, GR love. I know you folks had to be out there!

GR hate seems to be isolated to this board. It got a 4 and 1/2 stars average at amazon.com, like almost every other Opeth album, and many of the "Top Reviewers" there gave it 5 stars. It got top marks with professional critics as well. That's why I was so surprised to see the hate here, of all places.

My favorite song on Ghost Reveries is "Hours of Wealth". My least favorite is "TGC". I would rather TGC not be right after "Hours of Wealth" on the album, it ruins the mood...

I disagree 100%. The way I got myself to fully appreciate TCG is to think of it as a continuation of Hours of Wealth. The way the last jazzy notes of the latter fate out only to be replaced by the evil riffage of TGC is awesome imo.

Lyrically, TGC also kind of sheds light on the protagonist's "task" "once I arise".

Not as good a combination as, say, Madrigal and The Amen Corner but still fucking awesome.

I think GoP and IY are great tunes, but the rest doesnt stick out. Dont get me wrong its good songs but not extraordinary as hopefully most of watershed will be.

It's my favourite Opeth album, well, tied with Deliverance maybe..It's certainly the best sound of all of them...fat, warm and clear. Incredible drumming from Martin Lopez and some of the best songs, BOTH, Harlequin Forest, GOP...