Ghost Reveries: Concept

EternalMetal

Mar 31, 2004
Is Ghost Reveries a concept album? I know the album doesnt state so, noe have I seen anyone say it was, but the reoccuring lyrical lines in songs indicates a tying together of the songs. What are your thoughts?

xXBraveMurderDay said:
Only three of the songs are part of the concept.
Where'd you get this idea? I'm almost positive that everything except Isolation Years is conceptual. I'm not sure how TGC fits in, but everything up to that is pretty clear.

This has been covered a zillion times already. Mikael says it's not a concept album. So no. There may be an overall theme (like on BWP) but it's not a concept album in the way that MAYH is.

From what I remember, Mike said only Isolation Years and Ghost of Perdition don't fit the concept...

EternalMetal said:
Is Ghost Reveries a concept album? I know the album doesnt state so, noe have I seen anyone say it was, but the reoccuring lyrical lines in songs indicates a tying together of the songs. What are your thoughts?

You've been here since 2004. How did you miss the 5,000,000 threads that have already been made about this???

- the TMSFGJAEUPGWMSFFWELCFBTPMN

:Wreath: said:
From what I remember, Mike said only Isolation Years and Ghost of Perdition don't fit the concept...

Actually, he publically stated in interviews only that he started writing a concept with awesome songs like GoP and BotH, but then wrote Isolation Years which he also really liked so he decided not to make it exclusively a concept album. When he stated a live show that it 'wasn't really' a concept album he was referring to the fact that he put some non-concept songs on there. But, when reading the lyrics, if we know that the first two songs are a concept then it's obvious that the rest of them until IY are.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
You've been here since 2004. How did you miss the 5,000,000 threads that have already been made about this???

I dont frequent the Ultimate Metal Forum like I used to. I go to school full time and have a busy life. I dont have time to go on every forum I post at all the time.

And it obviously looks like it was never covered. Nobody has a real answer for me. So I think its a pretty pertinant topic. I hate when people say to use the search and "OMG THIZ HAZ BEN COV#RED LIEK A MION TIMEZ!!!11" when all of the other topics mainly said the same thing, and that ultimately almost everyone is unsure or has incorrect knowledge about it.

It seems as though everyone has the opinion that it has a theme, but is not a concept. A theme is a concept though. And it was definitely meant to have somewhat of a concept, because the lyrics definitely tie together in the songs, and certain lines are repeated. If there was no form of concept, the repeating of the lyrics would indicate a lack of creativity, and I dont think that is the case.

EternalMetal said:
And it obviously looks like it was never covered. Nobody has a real answer for me. So I think its a pretty pertinant topic.

It was covered and I did answer you. It isn't a concept.

http://www.ontariometal.net/Interviews/opeth-int.htm

"Peter: Lyric-wise, it's not a concept album. Music-wise, well… I guess there's always a concept behind an album. But there's no obvious concept here, it's not like My Arms, Your Hearse. So... (thinks for a minute) I guess it's not at all a concept album. (laughs)"

I'm sure Mikael mentioned it too at some point but I can't find the interview. And I disagree that a theme and a concept album are the same thing. If an album has a theme it just means all of the songs are about a certain topic (the theme) whereas a concept album is generally considered to be the telling of a complete story that progresses as the album goes on from track to track, like MAYH and Still Life.

i'm not really sure how any one can say that this album in not conceptual. all the songs, except isolation years, pertain to a central storyline.

ghost of perdition - a mother dies while demonic forces inhabit her and brings forth a sort of anti-christ.

baying of the hounds - this guy who is destined to become the "anti-christ" is being persuaded by the devil to join him.

beneath the mire - the "anti-christ" joins the devil and lives with him as a satanic saint.

atonement - he has a sudden epiphany and decides he wants to repent.

harlequin forest - unfortunately he can't escape his past and feels nothing but contempt for his light-seeking peers.

hours of wealth - he decides the best thing for him to do is to exile himself from everything until he knows exactly what to do.

grand conjuration - he decides to let the devil back in him and to become the anti-christ figure.

also there is continueing lyrical themes. in baying of the hounds the lyrics mention drowning desires "beneath the mire." which is the title of the next song. harlequin forest makes a referance to hounds baying behind him, similar to the baying of the hounds. and there is a sickness of the main character that shows up in the songs beneath the mire, harlequin forest and hours of wealth. there's also a fog or smoke that is mention to envolope him in the songs beneath the mire, atonement and the grand conjuration.

i've read somewhere that mikael said that it was a concept album except for isolation years. although i can't find where i read that. i think the only way anyone can say this is not a concept album is on a technicality because of isolation years.

CAIRATH said:
This has been covered a zillion times already. Mikael says it's not a concept album. So no. There may be an overall theme (like on BWP) but it's not a concept album in the way that MAYH is.
MAYH.. AND Still Life.. and yah.. seriously.. look shit up...

brotherman said:
i'm not really sure how any one can say that this album in not conceptual. all the songs, except isolation years, pertain to a central storyline.

ghost of perdition - a mother dies while demonic forces inhabit her and brings forth a sort of anti-christ.

baying of the hounds - this guy who is destined to become the "anti-christ" is being persuaded by the devil to join him.

beneath the mire - the "anti-christ" joins the devil and lives with him as a satanic saint.

atonement - he has a sudden epiphany and decides he wants to repent.

harlequin forest - unfortunately he can't escape his past and feels nothing but contempt for his light-seeking peers.

hours of wealth - he decides the best thing for him to do is to exile himself from everything until he knows exactly what to do.

grand conjuration - he decides to let the devil back in him and to become the anti-christ figure.

also there is continueing lyrical themes. in baying of the hounds the lyrics mention drowning desires "beneath the mire." which is the title of the next song. harlequin forest makes a referance to hounds baying behind him, similar to the baying of the hounds. and there is a sickness of the main character that shows up in the songs beneath the mire, harlequin forest and hours of wealth. there's also a fog or smoke that is mention to envolope him in the songs beneath the mire, atonement and the grand conjuration.

i've read somewhere that mikael said that it was a concept album except for isolation years. although i can't find where i read that. i think the only way anyone can say this is not a concept album is on a technicality because of isolation years.

biggest mound of dog shit ever.

brotherman said:

Yeah no.. it started off as a concept album, then the idea got shoved aside(maybe for an upcoming album?) so yeah, there started to be one but there Is None. Mike himself said that it started to be one then he decided otherwise when making another song...
and, good call blimey!

Tubbs Mcgee said:

tubbs maby hes not a geek like you and live on this forum

" I had intended to do a occult concept piece lyrically and got off to a great start with some downright evil lyrics like "The baying of the hounds" and "Ghost of perdition", then I did "Isolation years" which had nothing to do with the intended concept but I liked it so much I decided to ease up on the concept idea in favour of this one lyric. "
-taken straight from opeth.com

"of this one lyric."

for anyone who can speak english its clear that everything but isolation years is conceptual. like i said if you say this is not a concept album then you're being technical minded.

take an english class, read the lyrics and stop being retarded.