Ghost Reveries: Concept

Fredy_Brown said:
Just like you imagined...read the lyrics and you will get astory about a man and woman...
it starts by Somewhat damaged....they met yeach other
then there is a story about their divorce
ending by Underneath It All...he will never forget
Ripe (with decay) is him laying on the flor after the all

I am not friend with verbatim explanation of the story, so I just made a line, you can find your own.

Some people say, that there are two stories (CD1 and CD2) but I think this is a bullhit, Reznor said that he always intent a double CD to express his intention clearly.

Critical song is Starfuckers, inc. I personally don´t like it and I don´t know what role plays Marilyn Manson and Marilyn Monroe in that story, it has been never said, I am one of those that don´t want to have S. on the CD, cause it´s simly doesn´t make a sence. Reznor just added some idea that he obviously had during pre-The Fragile. I guess it has something to do with Mechanical Animals and nothing records and the fact that Manson started posthuman records.

He explicitly stated that "We're in this together" and "The Fragile" (the song) were about his grandmother (who was dying at the time and who'd looked after him all his life), so I don't think that really follows mang :E

it starts by Somewhat damaged....they met yeach other

uh...ROFL

yeah, this atrocity is about people meeting each other:

Lick around divine debris
Taste the wealth of hate in me
Shedding skin succumb defeat
This machine is obsolete

Made the choice to go away
Drink the fountain of decay
Tear a hole exquisite red
Fuck the rest and stab it dead

Broken bruised forgotten sore
Too fucked up to care anymore
Poisoned to my rotten core

yeah. it's not even close to being a concept album. TDS has a clear story, but only about half of the songs on The Fragile even seem to be about anything at all.

Anyway, back on topic.

I think the album was initially intended to be a concept album but they (Mike) couldn't make the storyline work smoothly, so now we hear all sort of explanations that they never even wanted GR to be a concept album. :erk: :Spin: :wave: :erk:

froghawk said:
uh...ROFL

This machine is obsolete

yeah. it's not even close to being a concept album. TDS has a clear story, but only about half of the songs on The Fragile even seem to be about anything at all.

Anyway, back on topic.

Man those lyrics are lame.

^true that. Trent Reznor is a fucking awful lyricist, despite how much people hail him otherwise for The Downward Spiral.

wankerness said:
He explicitly stated that "We're in this together" and "The Fragile" (the song) were about his grandmother (who was dying at the time and who'd looked after him all his life), so I don't think that really follows mang :E
The Fragile is not about his grandmother. The person from The Fragile is the same person like from The Perfect Drug.

froghawk said:
uh...ROFL

This machine is obsolete

So impressed with all you do
Tried so hard to be like you
Flew too high and burnt the wing
Lost my faith in everything

In the back off the side far away is a place where I hide where I
Stay tried to say tried to ask I needed to all alone by myself where
Were you?
How could I ever think it's funny how everything that
Swore it wouldn't change is different now just like you
Would always say we'll make it through then my head fell apart
And where were you?
How could I ever think it's funny how everything you swore would
Never change is different now like you said you and me make it
Through didn't quite fell apart
Where the fuck were you

The Fragile is more concept album than TDS, even Reznor said it.

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Ghost Reveries is based on an episode of Scooby Doo. It turns out the amusement park owner did it.

Oh shit, I saw that one. It all makes sense now :lol:

lol now I just imagined Mikael growling 'If it wasnt for those meddlesome kids' and i feel like a loser..

actually its a matter of how you interpret it personally so stop flying insults around :)

daz436 said:
actually its a matter of how you interpret it personally so stop flying insults around :)

erm no, actually its a FACT that all the songs on ghost reveries are part of a concept apart from of course Isolation Years..
You don't have to be a genius either to figure it out, just read the lyrics!

So, you could in a way look at it as a concept album with Isolation years as a bonus track.

You could even tie Isoaltion Years in very loosely but that would be stretching it...

The lyrics are often so metaphorical that they can be interpreted in lots of different ways depending on how you read into it.

So 'erm, no actually', blimey is entitled to think that what [insert other guy's name here] said is a load of shit just as much as the other guy is allowed to think what he believes is a load of shit. So don't go down the useless argument road and accept that fact. It doesn't take a genius to work out that its futile and fruitless.

daz436 said:
The lyrics are often so metaphorical that they can be interpreted in lots of different ways depending on how you read into it.

So 'erm, no actually', blimey is entitled to think that what [insert other guy's name here] said is a load of shit just as much as the other guy is allowed to think what he believes is a load of shit. So don't go down the useless argument road and accept that fact. It doesn't take a genius to work out that its futile and fruitless.

If it was a matter of opinion then yes your right...

But it's not so your not :D

How music is interpreted (any part of the music - including lyrics) blatantly is a matter of opinion lol... songs mean different things to different people, its about time you understood that we dont live in a volksgemeinschaft.

Benighted1 said:
actually he is right dip shit
LMAO.

You're telling me that he correctly interpreted Mikael Akerfeldt's metaphorical lyrics in an album that Mikael ALREADY STATED was NOT a concept album?

Hahaha. This is why I'm never wrong.

blimey said:
LMAO.

You're telling me that he correctly interpreted Mikael Akerfeldt's metaphorical lyrics in an album that Mikael ALREADY STATED was NOT a concept album?

Hahaha. This is why I'm never wrong.

True BUT its a fact that all the songs apart from Isolations years were part of a concept, interpret them anyway you want to though..

opps quoting the wrong person, meant to quote the post above...

daz436 said:
How music is interpreted (any part of the music - including lyrics) blatantly is a matter of opinion lol... songs mean different things to different people, its about time you understood that we dont live in a volksgemeinschaft.

Don't give me that crap. This album was written by one person. The meaning of the concept is what he wrote it to be. You may not know what he intended, and thus interpret it differently...but there really is a 'true' meaning here.

And who is to say that 'brotherman' hit the nail on the head? Maybe you just interpreted it the same way as him, you dont seem to understand my point. Mikael wrote the lyrics for some of the album into a concept (im semi-quoting him to say 'a couple of tracks' are linked into a concept), and Unless you can show me where Mikael himself describes the concept exactly like 'brotherman' did then theres no way you can tell anyone that its exactly right, or exactly wrong.

Try and realise what I'm saying before dismissing it as crap, thanks.