Ghost Reveries is Opeth's best album

in limbow

wobmil ni
Sep 9, 2005
United States
Technically speaking, that is. Regardless of personal attatchment, nostalgia and other factors, GR is truly their best piece of work just in terms of maturity, sound/production, transitions, guitar work, etc. I used to bash Ghost Reveries all the time because I was more into their first few records. I still am- Morningrise is my personal favorite album- but subjectively speaking, GR is amazing. I'm still not that fond of Harlequin Forest (It's got some great parts but could be way shorter), but songs like GoP, BotH, Isolation Years... they're well put together, extremely emotionally affecting and beautiful, and lack the slight sloppiness older Opeth material had from time to time. I just wanted to finally acknowledge how impressive Ghost Reveries is as a whole and hope the only way for Opeth to go next is up. Thoughts/opinions?
Regardless of your own favorite Opeth album, do you think GR is a step in the right direction or not?

Technically speaking, that is. Regardless of personal attatchment, nostalgia and other factors, GR is truly their best piece of work just in terms of maturity, sound/production, transitions, guitar work, etc. I used to bash Ghost Reveries all the time because I was more into their first few records. I still am- Morningrise is my personal favorite album- but subjectively speaking, GR is amazing. I'm still not that fond of Harlequin Forest (It's got some great parts but could be way shorter), but songs like GoP, BotH, Isolation Years... they're well put together, extremely emotionally affecting and beautiful, and lack the slight sloppiness older Opeth material had from time to time. I just wanted to finally acknowledge how impressive Ghost Reveries is as a whole and hope the only way for Opeth to go next is up. Thoughts/opinions?
Regardless of your own favorite Opeth album, do you think GR is a step in the right direction or not?

I think it had some amazing moments. Yet, I do think the keyboard was given to much stage on this album. This is about the border you need to put on keyboard, cause we don't want them to become a key-based band.

Of course technicly and proffesionaly it's their best album. They've also reharsed way more on this one. Yet I'd say BWP is the best overall album.

One the best Opeth albums for sure imo, a huge improvement, i like it a bit more than Still Life, and for me it is tied with Blackwater Park as the best Opeth album. Damnation, Deliverance and MAYH are all great...not a fan of the 1st two albums though.

One the best Opeth albums for sure imo, a huge improvement, i like it a bit more than Still Life, and for me it is tied with Blackwater Park as the best Opeth album. Damnation, Deliverance and MAYH are all great...not a fan of the 1st two albums though.

orchid is.. nice
Not a great fan of morningrise

mayh, bwp, damnationdeliverance, gr,still life

are amazing

I agree with you about it being the best album in sound production etc. But I don't quite agree on Harlequin Forest. To me it's one of the best songs on the album.

I think it is definitely their most refined work. It's true, they've got the best production on GR and Mike's roars are pretty damn strong. I think as far as technical guitar work though, it may be right under Still Life - that album has got some really astounding and difficult arrangements.

Personally I love the production on the album, dare I say even more so than Blackwater Park..? Certainly more so than Deliverance in any case, I always thought that Deliverance sounded quite dry and parched, though it certainly did not distract from the music itself, if anything I think it added to it. I think it's great that each album has a different sound. To me, Ghost Reveries has their most robust sound to date and the musical ability displayed is astounding. Creatively, I would agree, it is certainly one of their finest achievements to date, though I still believe that in terms of technicality, Still Life remains unbeaten.

My favourite Opeth album? Well that changes periodically but if I were forced to give an answer I'd probably have to go with My Arms Your Hearse. Production is polar opposite to that of Ghost Reveries, it has a really raw, muddy sound, which at first put me off. That album I found the hardest to get into, but with repeated listens, it was ultimately the most rewarding.

My favourite Opeth album? Well that changes periodically but if I were forced to give an answer I'd probably have to go with My Arms Your Hearse. Production is polar opposite to that of Ghost Reveries, it has a really raw, muddy sound, which at first put me off. That album I found the hardest to get into, but with repeated listens, it was ultimately the most rewarding.

HERE HERE!!!!

MAYH FTW :worship:

I think it is definitely their most refined work. It's true, they've got the best production on GR and Mike's roars are pretty damn strong. I think as far as technical guitar work though, it may be right under Still Life - that album has got some really astounding and difficult arrangements.

+1ish... I agree that it has got some really good riffs, transitions etc, but in my opinion, Still Life ranks as #1 overall, transitions and everything, i still get chills hearing the first roar in The Moor. my fav albums are Still Life, MAYH, BWP, and Deliverance, right under those are Damnation, Orchid, Morningrise, GR, although that goes for the albums in whole, there are still epic tracks on each of the albums

Well, I love Ghost Reveries, but I love all of their albums. I agree that the production and quality of GR is the highest. I love Harlquin Forest too.
I think the best songs and the best overall feeling is on Morningrise and MAYH, my favourite of their albums. However, I'm most likely to listen to Blackwater Park these days

I love Ghost Reveries. I think it's an awesome album, and yes, I think it's definitely a step in the right direction, though it seems to me at times that Per's synthesizers are too dominant.

even if i like still life so much, i agree with you.. GR may be the best job they've ever done