Opeth Staple Songs...tired of hearing em live?

I've never gotten to see them live and I can't on this tour either :(

The current setlist looks pretty good to me, I especially like seeing Face of Melinda on it. I do wish Ghost of Perdition was on. The Drapery Falls is another essential one. And I think Bleak should make it. Windowpane would be good too, now that they have a keyboard player they should make use by playing some Damnation tracks (which are great).

I think the problem is that Opeth have too many good songs. They could play any random 10 and it would be a great setlist. To get a balance between new, staple, and different tracks is very hard. It is also hard for them to have a constantly changing setlist as their songs are so epic.

It is a good point that whilst playing for their established fans they will have to play songs that people who are seeing Opeth for the first time will recognise, and that is all the more important with the new record.

I'm going to see them at least 3 times during the upcoming UK tour, and those 3 gigs are in the space of 4 days, if the setlist changes between gigs thats great, if not still great. I could listen to the same Opeth set for the rest of my life and not get bored, and whilst I would love to hear some songs they didnt play, I wouldn't know what to get rid of. I've never seen anyone complaining when DOF/TDF are being played, and there is a reason that they are the staple songs - they are universally held as two of their best songs. Everyone has a different opinion, so thats why its hard fo everyone to agree. Also its aboot the songs Opeth want to play, if they play songs they want to they'll put more into it and therefore give a better performance.

Finally, Opeth could play Agadoo and it'd be awesome, so at the end of the day they can't please everyone, but they do pretty fooking well.

Frostangelstorm said:
Why? Those are two of Opeth's best albums.

i agree, but i can see why they dont play anything from them live, just because of the fact that Lopez and Mendez didn't play on those records, and possibly because the albums are older as well. Mikael says he can't stand some of the songs on Morningrise because that style was so played out in sweden.

Leper Affinity is played quite often, but that songs amazing...

Hypnos said:
my ideal setlist would be:

April Ethereal
When
Harvest
Ghost Of Perdition
Baying Of The Hounds
Twilight Is My Robe
Advent
Godhead's Lament
Dirge For November

id have to agree with this guy on the setlist. thats fucking amazing in my opinion, maybe include Forest of October in there though.

As anyone who, IMO, would call themselves an Opeth fan should know there are certain legal issues preventing Opeth from playing alot of their stuff from the first three albums. Seeing that those albums Orchid, Morningrise, and My Arms Your Hearse were released on Century Black and after that Opeth got dropped from that label and picked up by Koch. Century Black are dicks and kept the rights to all songs on those first three albums but, in true metal fashion, Opeth chooses to disregard that law and play Demon of the Fall live because it's a very popular song amongst Opeth fans. When I saw Opeth I had no complaints of the song selection, save one, I wished for more off of Still Life, as that my favorite Opeth album. Still to see such masters of their craft perform such complicated pieces of music live and FLAWLESS is enough of a treat. Quit bitchin' and enjoy the damn band. They've never released a bad album, or wrote a bad song. I view Opeth as modern legends ranked equally among Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Slayer. They've consistently released quality music that shames 99.9 percent of all other music today. They've successfully combined the heavy/death elements of metal along with the prog to create something completely unique. I'll always respect Opeth for their skill and talent.

"As anyone who, IMO, would call themselves an Opeth fan should know there are certain legal issues preventing Opeth from playing alot of their stuff from the first three albums."

:err:
Didn't that just concern the Lamentations DVD recording? I've never heard about a band or an artist not being allowed to play material released on their former labels live.

"Quit bitchin' and enjoy the damn band. They've never released a bad album, or wrote a bad song."
Good for you if you like everything they've done. But that is quite subjective.

hoyn said:
"As anyone who, IMO, would call themselves an Opeth fan should know there are certain legal issues preventing Opeth from playing alot of their stuff from the first three albums."

:err:
Didn't that just concern the Lamentations DVD recording? I've never heard about a band or an artist not being allowed to play material released on their former labels live.

"Quit bitchin' and enjoy the damn band. They've never released a bad album, or wrote a bad song."
Good for you if you like everything they've done. But that is quite subjective.

Actually, no that wasn't just in regards to the Lamentations DVD, that's total overall. As I said Century Blacks are DICKS. I was just amazed that anyone would have any complaints about Opeth. Whether you like a song or not doesn't mean that it isn't an amazing piece of music. I mean no other band has done what Opeth has. Even I have my preferred songs for them to play and some that aren't my favorites but that still doesn't change the fact the even the songs I don't like are genius. I guess I could analyze best this way, yes you may be tired of hearing Stairway to Heaven, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's a great, legendary song and things such as that will stand the test of time. So bottom line being that even if they don't play all the songs you want them to, just stand and enjoy the band perform because they're all masterful musicians and seeing them live is unlike any band you'll ever see.