Opeth sucks big time!!

narcisco

Apr 8, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Opeth are the most singularly overated band in metal history. Their meandering tri-tone infused songs are so stuck to a dull formula it is beyond belief. Nice but badly played acoustic guitar followed by pre-requisite growling have reduced them to the ultimate cliche of prog-death. I mean honestly how can anyone listen to a vocalist who sings in an adequate clean voice then subject themselve to the montrosity that follows.
There is no technical leads. Rather benign pentatonic harmonies that simply do not cut it.
Drumming is OK. Bass playing is rudimentary. The guitar on which this whole sad excuse for progressiveness is based is unfocused. Soft section, metal section oh I am bored.
Give us something new Opeth.

" A hypothetical critique that I composed". But generally a reflection of what is out there.

Respond with your defence or even agreement.

By the way I love what Opeth does but also realise their limitations until I heard Deliverance of course, lol.

rather then argue what an idiot you are, what bands do you absolutely love? I'll evaluate them, seeing as your going to get flamed bigtime for that post.

Reactions: DE
narcisco said:
" A hypothetical critique that I composed". But generally a reflection of what is out there.

Respond with your defence or even agreement.

Ok I just read that again, he's basically asking for defensive responses against the opinions of the majority of people out there that would not like Opeth's music. Should have made it more clear what you were trying to say there :)

Man you guys are dumb. If you read the post this critique is an amalgamation of what is out there. I love Opeth. It is your duty to defend this criticism. I guess again I have over estimated the intelligence of Opeth fans to actually read and understand. Is their any hope !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, In Opeth's defense, I'll say three things:

1) If you listen to and pay attention to any of opeth's music, the tritone is not by any means an integral part of their sound. they use it fairly occasionally, to add a contrast to the melodic sections that domainate the music. If you listen to thrash, you see real usage of the tritone interval...

2) Again, if you'd listen to the leads, you'd realize they are much more than simple pentatonic meandering. Ok, I'll give you the satisfaction of agreeing that they do throw in the odd "bluesy" section in their leads, but they do so with conviction. And, by the way, these pentatonic sections are few and far between compared to the melodic sections, and the brilliant but twisted sections that maintain melody between key changes.

3) Music is a subjective experience. Many people love Opeth, many don't. But don't bash a band with unsubstantiated facts. Opinions are fine, but realize that they are just opinions.

Reactions: nergal_S
Ahhh, now I see what you're saying......But the answers still apply. It seems most people reasons as to why Opeth "suck" are generally lame, and have no substance. I can understand the whole song structure complaint though, since some people just can't handle songs that don't have a verse/chorus/verse/chorus...etc... structure. I guess it all depends on what kind of perspective you take on what a "good" band should be....Again, comes down to opinion.

OK that is great. I don't actually agree with anything that I stated in that hypothetical review. I just made it up. But they are essentially what the critics of Opeth say. Please realise this.

Like I said, you probably should have made it a bit more clear what you were trying to get across with your post. But anyway if you wrote that critique up yourself and you like Opeth, surely you must understand the reasons why you like them? Why did you ask for defense if you already like them?

narcisco said:
Is their any hope !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder the same thing when the correct spelling is 'there' :)

As much as I respect the SSMT site I can hardly believe what Chedsey says about Opeth. Doesn't really matter though, music is entirely subjective and you should listen to whatever you decide you like. You should not have to follow someone else's opinion just because they use a lot of big words. I'm not saying reviews are a bad thing, but I tend to prefer to listen to music first before hearing what others have to say about it.

Well the reason I made that up is that I thought the Opeth community could stand a little bit of introspection and criticism. I now have my doubts. Look man the meaning of a forum is to promote discussion. I guess that was my aim. If people cannot stand a little bit of satire and intelligent discussion about a band I love, well that is seriously a flawed and sad scenario.
The results so far are mixed. But hopefully the majority will get the joke.
Man Opeth are not in a vacuum. Some people despise this music. some of us love it. I love it and I guess I just want to talk about it. My girlfriend hates it and almost everyone in the wider community has suspicions. Maybe I want to know why? From another perspective.

Look just be smart. And love your Opeth.

Fair enough, I guess I'm just a little negative towards the whole 'explaining why Opeth is good' thing as I constantly tried to get my friends to listen to them which did not succeed. I actually like the fact now that nobody I know really likes them, it gives me the feeling that I have this beautiful and unique music just for me, if that makes sense. Anyway sorry if it sounded like I was putting you down, I wasn't trying to do that at all. Just wondered why you were looking for criticism to support Opeth's music, in Opeth's own forum.

You raise an excellent point about why should we justify that Opeth is good. My line of thought is much more abstract. It is the meaning of metal and why this band is good is the point. Opeth themselves need no justification as to their brilliance. That has never been questioned even right from my first post.
Do they rate as profound musical missionaries that have invented a soundscape that is new and unique. I belive they have. That is the question and one I thought was obvious. But read first think later...........