Opinions about these bands

Abominator - pretty good blackened death metal.
Ad Hominem - good, albeit somewhat unoriginal NSBM
Alastor - very good blackened thrash, I like them a lot
Anorexia Nervosa - symphonic black metal. but it is still realy black metal, and not like Cradle or Dimmu
Arkona - run of the mill Polish black metal, like so many other bm bands. basically just another bm band.
Belfegor - Polish norsecore. I don't mind it though.
Centinex - melodic death, not unlike some of the heavier Gothenburg bands.
Countess - good melodic symphonic black metal.
Cryptic Carnage - boring melodic gothic/death metal, with significant use of keyboards

Empyrium- Very nature based, melodic, moody metal with a lot of folk influence. The last two albums are all folk.

Megiddo- Good black metal with lots of thrash influence. Nothing mindblowing though...

Nagelfar- I know I have an album downloaded but i cant remeber a thing about it. Not a good sign...

Sacramentum- While technically good, this band seems lack heart, or at the very least the production does, so their albums feel lifeless and fail to draw me in.

Theory in Practice- Really techinical stuff with tacky Mario Bros type keyboards. They're the type of cheesy I can't tolerate.

Vinterriket- Good dark ambient. Soomewhat along the lines of Burum's ambient works...

Weakling- Good black metal, not the most brillant thing in the world, but somewhat creative and definitely effective...

Xasthur- Dark suicidal black metal. Defintely one of the top black metal acts of the moment. Give Noctural Poisoning or To Violate the Oblivious a shot

A few more bands:

Thor's Hammer
Maniac Butcher
Butterfly Temple
Hate Forest
Nargaroth
Temnozor
Ancient Rites
Asmegin
Havohej
Mutiilation
Wolfnacht
Sigrblot
Torture Squad
Skyforger
Gospel of the Horns
Ashtar

Thor's Hammer isn't bad, granted, I only own The Fate Worse than Death, which is extremely raw, atmospheric NSBM. Worth looking into.

I strongly recommend picking up anything from you can find by Hate Forest - especially Scythia and Purity. Hate Forest conjures dark and freezing moods, along with intense ferocity and hatred. Great Slavic BM.

Ancient Rites' first album is noteworthy melodic(not gothenfucked)death metal.

Mutiilation is manadatory depressive black metal. The band many new 'suicidal black metal' bands are trying, but failing, to replicate. Check out Vampires of Black Imperial Blood and Remains... Both very memorable releases.

Thor's Hammer - Cool, raw NSBM

Hate Forest - Hate-filled BM, I'm not really a fan

Nargaroth - Meh, good at times but generally ridiculous or just generic.

Temnozor - A good folkish NSBM band if I remember correctly.

Ancient Rites - Compulsory death metal, get Blasfemia Eternal and Diabolic Serenades

Havohej/Profanatica - A very innovative early BM band that arguably peaked with "Dethrone the Son of God"

Mutiilation - What Somberlain said. Essential.

Wolfnacht - Their last two have been Absurd-esque NS releases, but their first (Heidentum) is recommended. I've reviewed it at M-A if you're interested.

Sigrblot - Supposed to be good but I've not heard them.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Thor's Hammer - Cool, raw NSBM
One band I'm curious about. I like the Capricornus album. WOuld you say Thor's Hammer is similar to Capricornus or, say, Kristallnacht?

Hate Forest- Good stuff, though i havn't delved too far into it yet.

Nargaroth- Excellent black metal from Germany. Hyberstyld is essenial.

Mutiilation- Raw depressing black metal from France. Give Vampires... or Remains... a shot, both are brillant.

I only know two of the bands mentioned. I'm not a true metalhead by any means. Anyways...

Ancient Rites-One of my favorite bands actually. Fans of Viking Metal buy Fatherland and Dim Carcosa. Fans of Black and Death Metal buy Blasfemia Eternal and The Diabolic Serenades. It takes a few listens to become used to Gunther Theys' vocals, but overall his style of singing is pretty good. There's a ton of cool guitar riffs mixed into a medieval theme.

Score: 10/10

Anorexia Nervosa-This is my favorite band from France. Actually it's the only band I know that is from France, other than Belenos. Anyways, the vocalist sounds like a lower pitched version of Dani Filth. Which is pretty good. Although he sounds like a goat from time to time when he is using clean vocals. The production is so-so, and the guitar riffs are also so-so. The drumming however is amazing, and so is the overall atmosphere. Some of the songs seem a bit repetitive though. I urge fans of Cradle of Filth (and bands like that) to check them out. They look like they would be a Goth Metal band, but in fact this is excellent Melodic Black Metal. My favorite songs from them are Stabat Mater Dolorosa and Mother Anorexia.

Score: 7.5/10

Gallantry over Docility said:
Rehtaf Ruo - Incredibly unique band. Very inaccessable, but they conjure up one of the darkest atmospheres ever put onto CD. Get Boiled in Goat's Blood

:lol: