Opinions would be great

M-1000

Nov 22, 2011
EDIT: Please listen to the second link (9th post), I no longer need feedback on the original link. Thanks.

I'm fairly new at recording, and I recently did a local band, everything from tracking to mastering.

Overall I think this mix sounds pretty good, but I am not happy with the guitar tone. I had to crank them up too loud in the mix just to be able to distinguish the notes that are being played. I am considering re-tracking guitars.

Any opinions would be most appreciated, as this will be the beginning of my portfolio for more projects. Thanks!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21732450/Still, I Rise_Black and Decker.mp3

34 views and no feedback? Come on guys...help a brother out...Good and/or bad, I just need honest opinions here.

Hey man,

I think there isn't enough low.
Kick need more 80h/100h and need to be more loud.
Snare is low.
Toms the same.

I think guitar are good !

This is my opinion !
Keep it up !

ps: what did you use for guitar?

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree that the drums are low, which is why I was thinking the guitars were too loud. If I just turned the drums up instead of turning guitars down, I think the vocals would get drowned out. Does that make sense?

Guitar chain was this:

M-1000>Classic OD pedal>Mesa/Boogie DC-5>B-52 4X12>Audix i5 miked 3 inches off the grill slightly off center of the cap.

Rhythms are quad tracked, and on the breakdowns I'm using a DI guitar signal into an amp sim (in addition to 3 tracks of the amp)

All the drums are the real deal- I did use sample reinforcement, but I used samples that I made myself of that same kit.

I also have concerns that everything is over-compressed in the mastering stage. Mastering is a new step for me. I may have gotten caught up in the loudness-war and over done it a bit. This averages around -6 RMS, but the reference track I was given RMSed as high as -4 without sounding as compressed as mine (probably because Joey Sturgis is a lot better than me :p )

In my opinion you have to turned up only the drums and get some low in EQ. Don't touch guitars!
Try it !

I also have concerns that everything is over-compressed in the mastering stage. Mastering is a new step for me. I may have gotten caught up in the loudness-war and over done it a bit. This averages around -6 RMS, but the reference track I was given RMSed as high as -4 without sounding as compressed as mine (probably because Joey Sturgis is a lot better than me :p )

Mastering it's not hard at all if you do a good mix ;)

For me the biggest challenge is not getting sucked into the loudness war.

But I should be sitting down to make amendments to this mix tonight, so if anyone has any feedback at all, that would be really helpful.