Orchestration

ShadowsWithin

Oct 27, 2005
Portland, ME
John what kind of Synths are you using for the orchestral pieces I know you use a Korg M1 but I doubt you use the stock sounds out of it, what Synth Modules do you use? or do you use a program?

John what kind of Synths are you using for the orchestral pieces I know you use a Korg M1 but I doubt you use the stock sounds out of it, what Synth Modules do you use? or do you use a program?

hey man,

sorry it took a while, I'm on tour now,

will spent some time to give you a full answer but yes you are right,
I’m not using presets. I bought an orchestral M1 card ages ago and I use bassoons, harps, clarinets and fff French horns (doubled with some f.horns from the sound canvas).

hope this helps for now. I will try and give you a better idea after the tour

cheers

Hey man,

As promised here is a list of sounds and orchestral configuration that I used for The Empires of the worlds

Piccolo/Flutes= Sound Canvas (preset sounds)
Oboes= M1 (Orchestral card-preset sound)
Clarinets=M1 (Orchestral Card-preset sound)
Bassoons and Double Bassoon= M1 (Orchestral Card-preset sound)

Horns= M1 (Modified a sound called TOTO horns and worked also as trombones and bass trombone/Tuba) + sound canvas Horns Section
Trumpets= M1 used a sound given to me , very brassy, plastic on it's own but it's cool when combined with other sounds+ MU100R Brass sounds, preset sound
Trombones=M1 modified TOTO horn sound+ Trombones from the MU100R, preset sound
Tuba=M1 (the sound I mentioned before)

Piano= A3000 sampler(came with the sampler)
Harps= M1 (Orchestral card-preset sound)
Timpani=Sound Canvas-preset sound
Percussions (orchestral bass drum , orchestral cymbal etc.)= Sound Canvas

Strings:
Slow Attack strings: Canvas-Slow Strings-Preset Sound+ A3000 detuned strings-came with the sampler + A3000 normal strings, same thing
Marcato strings= M1 (Chamber strings was given to me)+Marcato strings from MU 100R-preset sound- and normal strings from the sound canvas-preset sound.
Pizzicato strings (rarely used) Sound Canvas-preset sound

For Cannibalised I got Horns, trombones and percussions from the Vienna library and using them with the Giga Studio. Also got some new strings sounds slow attack,marcato, solo and pizz but I will stick with the same woodwinds for the mo

Hope this helps

thats cool, i have a hard time believe somthing that nice can come out of a
M1 cause i've tried one and wasn't too impressed, but apparently it can, ill have to give it another spin, althoguh i cant layer very well let alone come up with my own orchestration :erk:

you should try out the Roland JV-2080, apparently its one of the most sought after for scores and whatnot. i use my 1080 for synth stuff like Children Of Bodom but its got some bad ass sounds.

thats cool, i have a hard time believe somthing that nice can come out of a
M1 cause i've tried one and wasn't too impressed, but apparently it can, ill have to give it another spin, althoguh i cant layer very well let alone come up with my own orchestration :erk:

you should try out the Roland JV-2080, apparently its one of the most sought after for scores and whatnot. i use my 1080 for synth stuff like Children Of Bodom but its got some bad ass sounds.

Well at the time I could only work with Keyboards so you have to really work those modules to get good stuff out of them. It's also down to the production. How you blend them together etc.

2080? Will have a look. Thing is, after soft samplers came on the market I realized that there isn't that much point in looking for modules anymore.
There are so many awesome libraries out there.

The JV 1080 is a top quality sound module. Have you tried the orchestral extension? It's very good!

yeah got it 3 weeks ago, been using the harpsichord like mad, im not good at layering/orchestration so i havent been able to use the other patches :erk:

still using Cello for Trans-Siberian covers and harpsichord/Choir for Stratovarius. but havent found much else the pianos sound muffled and tnot full.

yeah got it 3 weeks ago, been using the harpsichord like mad, im not good at layering/orchestration so i havent been able to use the other patches :erk:

still using Cello for Trans-Siberian covers and harpsichord/Choir for Stratovarius. but havent found much else the pianos sound muffled and tnot full.

Fair enouph, I think there is a piano extention card that sounds great.

I would invest on a good PC and get a cheap but good softsynth. There are tons of great sounds out there. JV is great though and would deffinetly use it if I had it with the orchestral card.

Yo have you heard Dimmus stuff like Progenies, im trying to get that kind of full orchestra sound out of my JV, kinda like the benigning of Absolution on Empires. what combinations do you use.

Yo have you heard Dimmus stuff like Progenies, im trying to get that kind of full orchestra sound out of my JV, kinda like the benigning of Absolution on Empires. what combinations do you use.

You mean Dimmu Borgir?

They use orchestra as far as I know. I heard some nightmare stories how the producer had to cut and quantize the orchestra as they found it very difficult to lock on the tempo. That must have been a nightmare.

If you talk about the very beginning then it's male/female choir. the strings double the choir. It's a standard technique on orchestration. Then there is a melody that is played by the cellos and double basses, bassoons. Accented by timpani and bass trombone. That's from what I can remember.

So in general it's choir doubled with strings and occasionally with french horns that they either double a harmony or play a counter melody, and for the bass register: trombones/tuba/accented by percussions. I also use bassoons that double the double basses/bones/tuba. I didn't use oboes, e.horns and clarinets. But used flutes and piccolo flutes for some fast passages.

Other than that the orchestration moves all the time. so it's hard to tell what I did in terms of layering unless I do a complete analysis.

I hope this helps though

Yeah i know they used an orchestra, im just wondering how they replicate that sound live, I immagine they use click tracks but im wondering how he get that really attacky full orchestra out of his keyboards.

Yeah i know they used an orchestra, im just wondering how they replicate that sound live, I immagine they use click tracks but im wondering how he get that really attacky full orchestra out of his keyboards.

It's probably sampled orchestral heavy brass sounds or something like that.
They must be using backing tracks though. Other wise the keyboard player will have to grow another eight arms :)

I've seen Dimmu live a few years ago, they just went for the good old keyboard, no tapes or orchestra samples or anything. It can sound a bit weaker than on the cd (NOWAI /\ÔÔ/\ !??), but I appreciated the fact that the guy was actually playing, not just standing there with his "I am evil" face and his finger stuck on the same key during the whole song.

Did you guys ever hear Hollenthon's "With vilest of worms to dwell" CD ? Check that out of a good use of sampled classical music... Definitely stood the test of time for me (it was released in 2001). It is, as they say, the dog's bollocks. Rly. /\^^\m/.