orlando 10/21

thanks guys :) i'm glad you're digging the tunes.

Those tracks were recorded after i'd been playing drums for one year, and we're currently working on new stuff (albeit slowly, we're all working a lot!) via the internet.

Opeth was great though, I yelled out "whats up with the firebird shirts?" once and mike ignored it, but I really wanted to know!

On another note, whats up with all the tiny kids? I mustve seen at least a hundred 12 year olds, most up on the rail, but some trying to mosh. It was disturbing to think that Opeth is getting MTV kids as fans because of the stupid PH video.

Hey, I think you were right behind me.
And yes, it's nice, I suppose, to see kids at shows because they're getting into some really good music but they also ruin the atmosphere when they try to mosh the fuck out of every song. That was getting so annoying.

The mix was alright, i could hear Axe's kit very well, and it was a pleasure to watch him play (especially The Drapery Falls, he really added a lot to that song in the middle section). Mike's guitar tone was a bit dull and muddy compared to Akkeson's, and it affected the clarity of notes during his solos. I could barely hear Mendez at all, and that was a shame. I kinda had to imagine what he was playing, based on his fretboard work. My favorite addition of Per's is during Demon of the Fall, right when the "Run Away" part begins. He uses a Hammond sound, and sweeps up the keyboard right as the section explodes in your face...

Pretty good assessment overall. I dunno if it's because Mike's getting most of his tone from the Boss rig into the clean channel of the Laney, or if it was just the mix, but Fred's badass JVM Marshall grind was slaying his tone! Time to use that sweet Laney drive channel a little more, Mike! Agreed about Mendez, he was really the only guy I couldn't hear well enough. Axe was just incredible, the dude is just a straight-up sick mofo, everybody around us (I was the big dude in the black Frank Zappa t-shirt, in case anyone noticed) was trippin' on the guy! Per is just too cool, my new official King of the Headbangers! How the guy manages to do that throughout the whole show, not miss a note and not end up in a fuckin' neckbrace is impressive!

1,000 times better than the ProgNation show where I couldn't hear the vocals for shit, and the Firebird shirts were the shit, btw! I think the real question should be why Fred was the only guy NOT wearing one?! Inquiring minds want to know...

I liked Baroness. Yeah, they got kinda samey after a while, but they had some really cool riffs and harmony stuff goin' on, to the point where I actually picked up one of their cds, but then again, everybody there was waiting for the main event, and opening for a band like Opeth is a tough gig for anybody.

Great show overall though, and one that makes me really look forward to what this band can progress into if they can just keep this lineup stable for a while.

:headbang:

Agreed, definitely. I was kind of excited that they werent some lame nu metal band, and maybe there would be a decent opener for once... after 2 songs they all sounded the same, so that wore off.

Opeth was great though, I yelled out "whats up with the firebird shirts?" once and mike ignored it, but I really wanted to know! There has to be a hilarious back story as to why per, mike, and mendez all had the same shirt. Then some of the drunk fratboys asked a few times asking the question and it was ruined. These same guys yelled throughout the show, and it was pretty annoying. Eh, what are you going to do.

On another note, whats up with all the tiny kids? I mustve seen at least a hundred 12 year olds, most up on the rail, but some trying to mosh. It was disturbing to think that Opeth is getting MTV kids as fans because of the stupid PH video.

And I want to shout out to a forum member I met here, his name started with a D I think, I cant remember because it was loud and now Im really tired. Good meeting you, man! Hope your friends got there on time.
Okay, so no fratboys, no 12 year olds, and no moshers. Yeah, there should only be people like snake101st at the show. Open your mind and let different people enjoy the awesomeness :headbang:

My friend called me yesterday from the HOB and I was jealous. I wished I could live in Orlando again just for that day :loco: But hey, I got to see them in Sweden recently. I loved that HOB though!

Agreed, definitely. I was kind of excited that they werent some lame nu metal band, and maybe there would be a decent opener for once... after 2 songs they all sounded the same, so that wore off.

Opeth was great though, I yelled out "whats up with the firebird shirts?" once and mike ignored it, but I really wanted to know! There has to be a hilarious back story as to why per, mike, and mendez all had the same shirt. Then some of the drunk fratboys asked a few times asking the question and it was ruined. These same guys yelled throughout the show, and it was pretty annoying. Eh, what are you going to do.

And I want to shout out to a forum member I met here, his name started with a D I think, I cant remember because it was loud and now Im really tired. Good meeting you, man! Hope your friends got there on time.

Same here...I couldn't hear you, either. Name's Rich. Get this.....my cell was out in my truck, so i couldn't see where the hell they were. Anyway, no show for them. The idiots left the tickets in the other car, because originally, they were going in a different vehicle. This said car, was being used by one of my friend's wife, and she went to see her sister, in a town about an hour away. They didn't realize that the tickets were in the other car's dash compartment, (we live in Port Richey, 1.5 hours away from HOB) until they were an hour down the road! I've told them time and again, we should always go in the same car, every show, but they wanted to "smoke" on the way. Which is fine, I don't smoke it, but I don't need the stuff in my car. So, they stubbornly refused to not smoke it for a few damn hours. The only time I shouted, was when Mikael was through introducing (sarcastically, of course) the band. I was the initial guy who yelled..."but who are you?" Like I said the day before, I was the guy with the MAYH long sleeve....during Baroness, waiting for my friends near the main entrance.

I was there last night, and I agree there was a ton of 12-17 year olds there. Some kids, probably like 13 or 14, were on the rails right in front of me. Needless to say they didn't stay there long.

From what I recall, there were no pits or anything. My gf was coming back from smoking and could see the whole crowd and said our little section on the right front was the only one banging/moving around. Lame.

Does anyone have any video's or pics from the show? I'd like to see some if you have any to share.

it sucks i couldnt attend this show cuz of SeaWorld but i remember like 3 years ago back in St.Petersburg...best Opeth concert ive ever been to. No rails and no security unlike HOB so i even go to touch Mike's PRS lol...and Mendez still worked his beautiful long hair.

I remember it was the time that pedophile bus driver got busted lololol...., and the morning after, Eddie Guerrero died...never gonna forget that.

during Baroness, waiting for my friends near the main entrance.

Yep, that was me!

Man, that sucks about the friends not making it, especially all because of something stupid like smoking. At least you went, though! Your "and who are you?" comment cracked me up, especially after Mike said something to the effect of being so famous that he doesnt have to explain it. Keep in touch, man, its always good to see other florida Opethians!

To FRUGiHOYi, dont make comments unless you completely understand a situation or what the person is saying. I simply said the frat guys (I guess they were) yelling all the time during Mike's "stand up comedy" time was kind of annoying, especially because they kept saying the same things over and over. Theres a difference between being bitter at people like that due to their obnoxious behavior (dont even get me started on the off-beat clapping during EVERY slow part of EVERY song), and wanting to close off concerts or whatever you said at the end.

The comment about 12 year olds wasnt meant in a bad way necessarily, but it is annoying to have people start kiddy mosh pits by going on temper tantrums every 2 seconds, I mean I understand if a kid likes a band and goes, I used to be one of those kids... but thats different from kids watching MTV and seeing the PH video and getting the wrong idea of the amazing Opeth (i.e. thinking theyre another generic metal band).

I dont even know why Im responding to this stuff, the internet is the worst place to discuss things at.

Roadking: I saw you I think! Were you near the middle, the HUGE (big is an understatement if youre who I think you are, lol, not in a mean way, I just mean I wouldnt want to get in a pit with you haha) guy with black hair?

Anyways, good show guys, cant wait for next time!

I still want to know the firebird shirt story.... Mikael? :p

P.S. Anyone else think a new smiley should be added for this forum, the Swedish Royalty wave? That was classic.

@ snake101st...Yeah, I remember you saying you'd have a SL shirt, and looking the part of "Steven Wilson". So I knew that had to be you! kinda look a little like him...I don't remember you hanging out afterwards, to chat with the band. I've talked to them plenty of times, but never got to really talk to Fredrik, since he became a member. I briefly chatted with him years ago, when he was in Arch Enemy, and saw them with Opeth on Gigantour 2. He got a great response on his solo work, interpretation of Peter's solos, his introduction from Mikael, and I liked what he did with Hope Leaves. Fredrik took the time with everyone there, really cool of him. Oh yeah, I posted here a few years ago how the HOB would regret not having metal, then they brought it back, because you know the fuckers realized we're the only ones (metal fans) that fucking go there in the first place. Typical for them to not let High on Fire play, because of their...band name!....?:erk: You guys heard Mikael, when he ridiculed HOB for that, right? The funniest part, was when he started clapping his hands, and waving at all the people behind the bar, after his remarks on the HOB.

Tuesday was my first time i've ever seen Opeth in concert. Had a blast, my best friend pretty much got in free which is awesome, but I feel sorry for the guy who's friends didn't show up. I was luck to have them play 2 of my 3 current favorite songs, still hopeing for blackwater park next time i see them.

My friend had a blast, he really enjoyed it. I think i converted him lol

I have to agree though, there was a lot more kids where there than i was expecting.

Hey, don't feel bad for me, feel bad for those idiots. I love my friends, but, I've stopped being the one that always arranges, and takes care of everything. I hate being late, or purposely getting somewhere at the last minute, so it's their problem. I offered to drive, which saves them gas, but they "needed" to inhale some weed before the show. I'm never going to take the chance of being the one that gets pulled over, and the police finding THEIR stuff in my truck. One of them had the gall last night, to try to make me feel bad for leaving my cell phone in my truck, when I got to the show. Like it would have mattered....there wasn't anything I could do about them forgetting their tickets in the wife's car. I've gone to a few shows over the years by myself anyway. I'm there for whatever band is playing, that's what matters to me. The only thing that sucked was not having a few drinks, but oh well....great show as expected!

opeth was amazing as always! tnatsw, woo. i really thought there would be more people.
my brother, boyfriend, and myself were all on the rail and i was right in front of mikael.
you guys are probably referring to me as the 12 year old because i was the shortest! ;)
but there were these girls behind us who wouldn't shut the fuck up..
i honestly thought i was going to kill them because they kept ramming me into the rail.

So Ramses, you were the one that gave my friend the ticket? Pretty awesome of you, thanks. Maybe next time your friends will take your word for it. Oh well he had a blast, even for not really being a fan before the concert. Last night he called me while I was in class flooding me witih questions about different songs by Opeth.

First off, let me say that was an amazing show. It was probably the least crowded show i've seen at HOB, but it was one of the best. I wish the crowd had more energy though. I was on the rail right in front of Fred and my brother and I caught 5 guitar picks throughout the night...(he even through one into my cup by accident, haha). Mike was hilarious. Some of the amusing things he said throughout the night were the Swedish royalty wave cupping balls comment, how he said he would please all the hot women in the crowd orally and expect the same in return. My favorite comment came with the introduction to Deliverance where he said this song is about Kevin Costner and all of the other shitty actors who don't know they're shit...lol. The highlights for me were Bleak and Deliverance. I managed to get some good pictures with my iphone, so here they are.
n5121209_41088546_1108.jpg

n5121209_41088549_1975.jpg

n5121209_41088551_2541.jpg

n5121209_41088555_3690.jpg

n5121209_41088558_4602.jpg

n5121209_41088560_5213.jpg

n5121209_41088561_5514.jpg

n5121209_41088562_5842.jpg

n5121209_41088563_6132.jpg

n5121209_41088566_7092.jpg

n5121209_41088567_7405.jpg

n5121209_41088568_7725.jpg