Orphaned Land will support Metallica

Morticia NL.

Orphaned sister
Hot news: Orphaned Land will support Metallica for their show in the Ramat Gan stadium on May 22nd 2010. :kickass:

http://www.orphaned-disciples.org/site/lang/en/2010/03/31/support-for-metallica-in-israel/

metallica4.jpg

This is awesome for widespread recognition.

I'd really want to be there because I can tell everyone I went to a Metallica concert but walked away before they played :p

Stylish Ananth. You play it cool :p
I hope it will lead to new fans discovering OL. And I count on you guys here in the forums of your local metal community. Please try and make the big websites in your country run the news. And always give them the link to the OL website with it.

OK, I risk to be bashed on a heavy metal forum by saying this, but Metallica somehow never interested me at all. A few fine songs (Sad But True is a cracker, Until It Sleeps is decent) but most of their stuff IMO is mediocre. May I say it out loud without being lynched by the majority of the metal community that Orphaned Land are by far superior to Metallica and that the honest role would be Metallica being the support act?

Not that I dislike old school metal or so. I like Black Sabbath (before Ozzy started doing drugs), Judas Priest are great, ... Iron Maiden and Metallica are the pioneers I never got into, while AC/DC in my opinion is just silly. Sorry to all Metallica fans out there, but IMO they come nowhere close to Orphaned Land.

Of course this is great as O-L. can spread their fame by doing this (Mezarkabul opened for Metallica during their Istanbul show a while ago) but somehow I fear Orphaned Land fans wanting to see the show will have a hard time finding tickets or will be overpaying because obviously Metallica on the same evening will increase the price.

Summarised: good promotion for Orphaned Land, but in all honesty, Metallica are mediocre compared to O.L.

PS I: I truly dislike Metallica's vocalist. Somehow comes across as a very aggressive dude although probably I am a bit biased because he openly supports the death penalty while I'm an activist against that. So maybe I'm biased there.

PS II: Metallica's cover of "Whiskey in the Jar" is an insult to Thin Lizzy and Phil Lynott must roll over in his grave for that one.

PS III: "Nothing else matters" ranks amongst the most overrated songs of its era.

[/RANT] :)

PS: if I were living in Israel I'd still buy the ticket but leave after Orphaned Land have finished.

PS: if I were living in Israel I'd still buy the ticket but leave after Orphaned Land have finished.

I agree with you on all counts :) Except that I used to listen to Maiden for most of my 'metal' years and occaisonally still do and of course, I used to listen to Metallica when I was a kid but they are indeed lucky to be able to close for Orphaned Land.

It's just that some bands grasp you from the first moment, and some bands simply don't get your interest somehow. Not always explainable, it's an emotion thing I guess. Metallica is one of those bands that, without denying their impact on their style of music, I just don't get into. A few great tracks don't make a great band. The first time I listened to God Machine, Orphaned Land, ... they just grabbed me and never let go of that grip again. With Metallica I just don't feel that urge to re-listen to their songs all the time and to check the entire discography. In my opinion they are overrated.

Orphaned Land should be the headliner here, Metallica the support act. This event as it's being organised now puts O.L. in a place they don't deserve to be in: a warm up before the crowd really pays attention. They deserve much better than that. It's like asking the Rolling Stones to do the support act for Lady Gaga...

I'd go to the event nonetheless but probably would leave after Orphaned Land finished their set. I'm glad their European dates are mostly one-band shows in a smaller hall. Being surrounded by only other O.L. fans and having O.L. as headliner is still the nicest option :)

Yeah, I would really love that "family" atmosphere too. The crowd at B.B. King seemed small but was quite an educated crowd and that's something I'd like being around with as against some self-labeled metal badass. I just have that deja vu feeling that I'm going to see them sometime not too far away in the future.

OK, I risk to be bashed on a heavy metal forum by saying this, but Metallica somehow never interested me at all. A few fine songs (Sad But True is a cracker, Until It Sleeps is decent) but most of their stuff IMO is mediocre. May I say it out loud without being lynched by the majority of the metal community that Orphaned Land are by far superior to Metallica and that the honest role would be Metallica being the support act?

Well, you risk more to be bashed on a General Metal forum than on a forum where fans mostly like their metal to be more experimental.

Sorry to all Metallica fans out there, but IMO they come nowhere close to Orphaned Land.

While both bands are metal, the styles differ, Metallica is a Thrash Metal band, Orphaned Land started as an Oriental Doom/Death band then moved more onto the Prog/Experimental territory. I'd rather compare Metallica to Megadeth, Slayer, etc.. while Orphaned Land I'll compare to bands like Melechesh, Opeth, Agalloch etc...

Orphaned Land should be the headliner here, Metallica the support act. This event as it's being organised now puts O.L. in a place they don't deserve to be in: a warm up before the crowd really pays attention. They deserve much better than that. It's like asking the Rolling Stones to do the support act for Lady Gaga...

The thing is that most of the times(because not always) the supporting acts are local, younger or way lesser known bands, and that's their opportunity to get more attention, so, most metalheads will consider an insult for Metallica to open for Orphaned Land(I don't consider it, but seeing that Metallica has way more fans than OL, and lots of them doesn't even know about OL)

They have a handful of great tracks. The problem is that they have more than a handful of mediocre tracks. Like I said, "Nothing Else Matters" IMO ranks amongst the most overrated songs of its era (although "Smells Like Teen Spirit" will remain at nr 1 in that chart -- sorry, but IMO Nirvana were a terrible band), and that is supposed to be like their signature song?

I respect their impact on the musical style they're in, there's no denying in that. However, IMO they don't even come close to Orphaned Land. I'm not exactly a metalhead, there's just a few metal bands that in my opinion are really superb. early Black Sabbath, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Orphaned Land, and (if you wish to call it metal rather than prog rock/noise rock) God Machine and Rush. The latter two are up for debate when it comes to giving them the metal tag because Rush have done multiple styles in their long career and God Machine isn't the typical metal band neither, but anyway.

Then there's the category of decent enough bands which I listen to now and then without calling myself a fan (Nightwish is a good example of a decent band that however also doesn't grasp me by the throat, Lacuna Coil idem dito) and then there's the likes of Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc where I recognise their impact on the style but where I just fail to stand listening to an entire album.

Of course tagging per genre has something silly because it's not like bands are supposed to stick within the narrow cage of one style. For example I would not consider Marilyn Manson, Rammstein or Type O Negative as typical metal bands, whereas mostly they will be tagged as such. Even with God Machine (to name a band that I do adore) it's up for debate if you can really call it metal.

If I had to organise a metal festival and were unrestricted in whom to invite I'd probably opt for Nightwish, A Perfect Circle, Tool (sorry for having to do two sets Maynard!), Salem, and Orphaned Land. Unfortunately without God Machine since the band got defunct when their bass player died :(

Hm, I used to be a Metallica fan since I was 16, then shifted to gothic/doomish, folk, jazz, fusion, neo-classical etc. stuff somewhere around 2004.

I think they are a mighty icon of metal, whatever commercial success they gained over time since turning more into mainstream with Load. Hehe, don't say Nothing Else Matters is boring before you hear almost 50 unique and hilarious covers of the song.

BTW, you said smthng about Hetfield supporting death penalty. But isn't the Ride The Lightning song he wrote very much against capital punishment?
"Who made you God to say, "I'll take your life from you"" etc.

Metallica concerts are very often filmed, so we have a chance of having a decent quality video or audio recording of Orphaned Land's part of the show as well ;)

I think it's a very nice chance for OL to get to play to people who maybe haven't heard them before.
Personally, I'd rate OL way over Metallica, but you can't deny their influence on a lot of metal, and their first few CD's are still pretty good today.
And you definitely can't deny their mass appeal, so it's a very good deal for OL.

I was saying the same thing until recently about Metallica, that they are over and it was emphasized by some reports I read on shows of the past years...
Then I went to the sonisphere in Eindhoven last year, not expecting anything from them but I wanted to see some other bands. In the end Metallica blew me away as they did 15 years ago. The tracklist was amazing, they played very well, and it was just a big party all over the place...

Ghâshûl;9002098 said:
I think it's a very nice chance for OL to get to play to people who maybe haven't heard them before.
Personally, I'd rate OL way over Metallica, but you can't deny their influence on a lot of metal, and their first few CD's are still pretty good today.
And you definitely can't deny their mass appeal, so it's a very good deal for OL.

I agree with you. For me Metallica was my introduction to "real metal". It was when Master of Puppets was new and in those days the sound was just so fresh and different. None of my friends were listening to metal, just rock and I remember sitting in someone's car and the guy playing that Metallica album and me asking "what the hell is that?" I loved it right away, it was like nothing I ever heard before that moment. Melodical, yet powerful.
I am not much into their later stuff, but Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are still icons to me (Justice a bit less). Metallica paved the way for other bands, even if I don't care about what they do at the present day, I still respect them for that. And if this show gets OL some new fans and attention that is awesome because they totally deserve it.
I would probably also only go to celebrate my friends playing in a huge stadium and stand there with tears in my eyes, because I think they so deserve this chance to break onto a bigger audience and get more publicity.

The God Machine gave me that similar feeling, being blown away from the first second I heard it, like something sucking you into a deep swamp you don't even want to get out of anymore. They're way heavier than Metallica by the way, even when I'd not even claim God Machine are metal (more like very heavy prog/noise rock)

When we talk about real metal, I'd say next to Orphaned Land, the true god of metal is Maynard James Keenan.

But hey, not intending to tell Metallica fans they're wrong or so. Tastes differ, and luckily they do or it'd be boring. I also want to emphasise I got nothing against Metallica, I just don't find them very interesting. But I don't dislike them or so.

PS to Postmodernist: Hetfield told in some interview he supports the death penalty, despite that one song indeed being open for interpretation indeed. Some of my own writings are anti-death penalty. It's a very sensitive subject to me as I'm a campaigner against the death penalty and member of an abolition campaigners group. So regardless of the good singer he is, I kinda started to dislike Hetfield for openly supporting the death penalty... Although yeah, that one song can be interpretated as anti death penalty as well. I surely hope nobody will ever misinterpretate my writings as supporting it ; IMO it's one of the worst barbarisms existing and should be abolished globally. Anyway, sorry for going off topic for just a minute.