OT: Anyone from Pennsylvania?

Catharsis70

Apr 28, 2005
My family is considering a relocation with work. I have only ever been through the state with a day or two in the Pittsburgh area. The company is located in Briar Creek. Anyone have any insight into schools, housing, health care within an hour of this area? Thanks in advance for any help.

Catharsis,

I live in Eastern PA, outside of York.

PA is different but here are the basics...

3.07 % flat income tax - county/town taxes are separate filings.
No food tax or medicine tax
No clothing tax

BUT... if you buy a home you will get a shock at the school taxes which can run upwards of 1800 to 5000 a year dependent upon district.

positive is that the money is for the schools. We have a great small school district where i live.

Beer is either in 6 packs from the bar
or Cases from the distibutor

hard liquor comes from your state run store.

Thanks for the insight. Were Trying to figure out now what areas are more rural than others. We are thrilled at the idea of small town living but dont want to have an hour drive to major shopping etc.

Most of your larger towns and cities in PA are supported by smaller nearby communities. Im more familiar with Southeastern PA since that is where i live. I am in a small community, and im just 6 miles from major shopping. Western PA around Pittsburgh would offer the same sort of style of planning, and i'd stay north to east of west of since thats what i recall hanging out in.

Word thanks again. The job itself will be in Berwick Im told. Small town low population. Looking for good communities in that area.