OT/ BLS: Shot To Hell

tommyv

Evil Monkey Paw
Apr 20, 2006
Plymouth MA. USA
www.thecia.net
Spinning it right now. Much better than "MAFIA" but nuthing groundbreaking going on, just a solid molten slab of BLS :headbang:
I love Zakk and all (and not in a Gay man love way either) but he's got to lay off the fuckin sappy piano ballads on every freakin Disk!!!........Jezzus H Christ!!

Ok, other than that it's good shyte, mind you I'm only half way through my first spin.

out,
t

tommyv said:
but he's got to lay off the fuckin sappy piano ballads on every freakin Disk!!!........Jezzus H Christ!!
Second to that. Just stick to the hard rockers, Zakk, the ballads are just lame. Honestly, I've found even the rockin' songs to be boring and redundant. Take the 3 best songs off this album and Mafia, and you'd have a semi-decent EP. Not worth buying the whole album IMO

Deege said:
His records have been downhill since Stronger Than Death, aside from one or two excellent songs here and there...

You have got to be kidding. 1919 Eternal and Blessed Hellride are two of the best metal albums I've purchased in the last 3-4 years. Expecially 1919 Eternal---god there are some KILLER riffs on that record. Mafia was a bit of a letdown in my opinion (about 50% killer/50% not so killer) but that's only because it followed Blessed Hellride which was solid from start to finish.

I've heard about 7 songs from the new record and I've heard some really great stuff, although it's definitely not an in-your-face metal record like his earlier stuff. He does do a good job with those Elton John/Skynyrd mellow songs I think. No one else in rock makes music like that in this day and age.

i hated the new one at first but this truly needs a few spins to soak up all the magic,its a brillaint record,probably my fave since blessed hellride....

i love the mix of soft and heavy,i finally get to see bls in 2 weeks time,should be killer

It's better than Mafia. Hell, anything's better than Mafia! However, even though I like most the ballads on this album, there's too many of them. Also, some of the heavy songs sound like fillers. Anyway, I think Shot to Hell is a good BLS album.

Holy Crap! There are 4 Piano pieces on this one..........WTF?!
Solid Disk now that I've made it through all the way (piano pieces excluded).
FAITH IS BLIND is just a fuckin brutal track, great riff on that one!
I think Zakk may be getting tired though and needs to either take a break from BLS or Ozzy?
I agree with ROZY157 too, no one is doing what Zakk is anymore, so Big "Power Metal Horns" (I'm copyrighting that you bastards :heh: ) to him!:headbang:

out,
t

Rozy157 said:
1919 Eternal and Blessed Hellride are two of the best metal albums I've purchased in the last 3-4 years. Expecially 1919 Eternal---god there are some KILLER riffs on that record.

I totally agree.

I have Shot to Hell ordered, so I don't have any comments on it yet.
But I also agree Zakk has to ditch these damn ballads, after the first listen I pretty much skip them every time.

what was the problem with mafia may i ask? I thought it was a pretty decent record. And before you diss me, i have every BLS and pride and glory album. I thought shot to hell was alright, but in my opinion mafia was pretty much balls to the wall. I can still listen to Fire it Up everyday. I just think, like some of you have stated, that Zakk is spreading himself to thin. And what is up with the weak ass openers that he always has for his headlining shows???? i mean Black Stone Cherry this time around and Brand New Sin last year. Damn. But i will not complain, any new BLS is better than 95% of the shit out there nowadays.

Representing the Chicago Chapter of the BLS family

S.D.M.F

SMP840 said:
And what is up with the weak ass openers that he always has for his headlining shows???? i mean Black Stone Cherry this time around and Brand New Sin last year.

I'm sure Roadrunner made that decision. Black Stone Cherry is one of their new bands and they want to get them as much exposure as possible.

SMP840 said:
what was the problem with mafia may i ask? I thought it was a pretty decent record. And before you diss me, i have every BLS and pride and glory album. I thought shot to hell was alright, but in my opinion mafia was pretty much balls to the wall. I can still listen to Fire it Up everyday. I just think, like some of you have stated, that Zakk is spreading himself to thin. And what is up with the weak ass openers that he always has for his headlining shows???? i mean Black Stone Cherry this time around and Brand New Sin last year. Damn. But i will not complain, any new BLS is better than 95% of the shit out there nowadays.

Representing the Chicago Chapter of the BLS family

S.D.M.F

To me Mafia sounds like someone pushed the Pro Tools button that makes generic metal. It was an obvious attempt to go mainstream and sell a lot of records. The only song I really like on Mafia is Too Tough To Die. I've been listening to BLS since the beginning and it sucks that I don't like the band as much as I used to just because of Mafia.

Shot to Hell sounds better and better all the time! My favs right now are Concrete Jungle, Hell is High and Lead Me to Your Door. I think Concrete Jungle is the best BLS song since Stillborn.

BTW, Brand New Sin kicks your ass!!

Wow! an actual constructive thread with fans of music discussing an Artist/ Album without (so far) reverting to name calling and the such, Amazing!

Sorry, I'm a little ticked off about something that happened on the CDC when I brought up this same Disk.
Why can't music fans just discuss shyte (like it or not) without getting all "fuck you and fuck him and he blows cause he said this, blah blah blah"....?
And Metal fans the most of all should be united, we get enough shyte from outside influences as it is.

ok, stepping off my Soapbox..........And again, thanx for a civil discussion about the new BLS.

out,
t

tommyv said:
And Metal fans the most of all should be united, we get enough shyte from outside influences as it is.
Damn straight! :headbang:
By the way, I really liked Mafia and I'm looking forward to hearing the new one.

Rozy157 said:
You have got to be kidding. 1919 Eternal and Blessed Hellride are two of the best metal albums I've purchased in the last 3-4 years. Expecially 1919 Eternal---god there are some KILLER riffs on that record. Mafia was a bit of a letdown in my opinion (about 50% killer/50% not so killer) but that's only because it followed Blessed Hellride which was solid from start to finish.

I've heard about 7 songs from the new record and I've heard some really great stuff, although it's definitely not an in-your-face metal record like his earlier stuff. He does do a good job with those Elton John/Skynyrd mellow songs I think. No one else in rock makes music like that in this day and age.
I love The Blessed Hellride too, and I consider 1919 Eternal to be Zakk's creative peak despite having the worst mix ever....can't hear the bass, cymbals too quiet, but drums too loud, guitars really thin, a few truly awful and feel-less drum tracks (Bleed For Me, Demise Of Sanity, L/B/B/D). The album sounds like a demo. Everytime I listen to it, it saddens me because it could have been great and leaves me wishing we'd get to hear a finished product. Zakk started singing the high pitched strained vocals on Hellride, which I liked when he did it on that record, but it SUCKS on everything afterwards. He sounds awful now, and he does it on nearly every song. This new record is better than Mafia because he doesn't sing like that on most of the mellow stuff. Plus he's been recycling his lyrics heavily from 1919 Eternal and onward. He's just not trying anymore after Hellride.