OT: Crowd-surfing.

Lopes said:
Something that a friend of mine did at a Nevermore show a couple of years ago in Hollywood at the Knitting Factory. It was during the band that went on right before Lamb of God, and my friend likes to mosh but a bunch of little punks were doing their spin kick bullshit and clipped him.

That was a big mistake because my friend is a black belt in Tae Kwon Doe and just likes to fight, so he just jacks the guy up and they hit the ground with my friend still socking him in the skull. Needless to say, a near riot breaks out with us throwing hardcore kids around like they're rag dolls.

Good times.

Reminds me of the Dave Chappelle skit "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong"

"What Darius didn't know was that Chris was a tenth degree blackblet who started trouble, just so he could practice his karate and street fighting in scenarios."

Good times indeed

things get rowdy at metal shows, if you can't handle it then stay in the back

sorry...but i just find this to be a common sense thing, if i don't wanna be bothered by people i'll find me a nice spot toward the middle or back of the room

Moonlapse said:
I hate crowd surfers. Essentially ruined the Bodom gig for me. The trick is to powerslam them into the ground whilst the security isn't looking. I'm so sick of those scum.

Thankfully when I saw Opeth, there was none of that. Still, I'm not sure whether I have the fortitude to be up against the railing any more. The idiots at gigs piss me off way too much.

The crowd at Bodom were just dickheads all 'round. I went to see a fucking band play, not struggle for my life amidst a sea of 'tards. :mad:

cobrahead1030 said:
things get rowdy at metal shows, if you can't handle it then stay in the back

sorry...but i just find this to be a common sense thing, if i don't wanna be bothered by people i'll find me a nice spot toward the middle or back of the room

Acutally I've had two friends who have been ALL THE WAY in the back, FAR away from the "dancers" and they STILL get attacked. Instance 1: A friend of mine was in the far back corner, I mean FAR BACk, and some random douche decides to break out some Tekken shit, and hits her above the eye. Instance 2: Another friend, WAY IN THE BACK, away from the dancing/pit, and another random retard gets the Holy Ghost of Bruce Lee in him, and kicks my friend in the chest. So my friend grabs the guy and starts yelling at him, and the guy just cowers. Yeah, I hate hardcore dancing. What ever happened to the good ol' Mosh Pit?

Moonlapse said:
Yeah, that gig was way fucked.

Right near the beginning, when half the fuckin' room hit the ground... random girl next to me got owned (next time I saw her was towards the end when I managed to get up to the barrier... she'd been pulled out), and trying to get her up off the floor was quite difficult when other people were standing on her, trying to get a better spot. And that was far from the only case... any person I tried to help up had dickheads stepping all over them. I managed to stay on my feet (somehow), but by the end of the show I still felt like I'd just had the absolute shit kicked out of me. :mad:

After the gig, I found out that one of the guys I was there with (lost sight at the time everyone hit the floor) also got taken down. This guy is fucking huge. Not just a strong build or anything; this guy's tall, and he's fat. Knocking him down to the floor would be like knocking over a concrete pillar. Yet somehow, the sheer dickheaddery of that crowd managed to achieve this feat. :err:

It's one thing for things to get "rowdy". I expect there to be a bit of movement 'n' whatnot... but when half the room gets thrown to the floor, and none of them can get up because other people are too busy standing on them... well that's not rowdy, that's just plain fucking stupid. :loco:

I heard of Machine Head shows, where the circle pit reached from the first row to nearly the last one in a ~800 ppl venue... :loco:

Shoes flying around (however) seems to be normal at Machine Head gigs too... :lol:

Yeah that Bodom gig in Melbourne was completely fucked. Spoke to my lecturer who was also at the show and he said that as soon as Pathogen finished, the people that were at the baqck of the Corner where he was standing had moved about 5 meters towards the stage!

I don't mind people moshing as long as they don't attack others who want to see the band. I despise the idiots that think it's ok to start slinging fists and elbows when they are not even near the moshpit, and clearly no one around them (girls especially) wants any part of that shit. Even for a quasi-pacifist like me, in situations like that, the mental picture of a swift kick to the lowlife's nuts followed by a hard knee into the face suddenly seems quite lovely and comforting. I don't want to act on such urges though, so I stick with the more civilised push.

i do agree that there is a lack of etiquette at shows anymore

we've all had to live with this hardcore dancing thing that seemed to pop out of nowhere

now the few, real moshers around seem to be the ones with no respect for the people around them

but still, if you go to metal shows this is the kinda thing you should expect (for better or worse) be ready to have some stupid BS to avoid, and always be aware of your surroundings, and you can still have a good time :)

DNW said:
Right near the beginning, when half the fuckin' room hit the ground... random girl next to me got owned (next time I saw her was towards the end when I managed to get up to the barrier... she'd been pulled out), and trying to get her up off the floor was quite difficult when other people were standing on her, trying to get a better spot. And that was far from the only case... any person I tried to help up had dickheads stepping all over them. I managed to stay on my feet (somehow), but by the end of the show I still felt like I'd just had the absolute shit kicked out of me. :mad:

After the gig, I found out that one of the guys I was there with (lost sight at the time everyone hit the floor) also got taken down. This guy is fucking huge. Not just a strong build or anything; this guy's tall, and he's fat. Knocking him down to the floor would be like knocking over a concrete pillar. Yet somehow, the sheer dickheaddery of that crowd managed to achieve this feat. :err:

It's one thing for things to get "rowdy". I expect there to be a bit of movement 'n' whatnot... but when half the room gets thrown to the floor, and none of them can get up because other people are too busy standing on them... well that's not rowdy, that's just plain fucking stupid. :loco:

Mmm.

I don't know how us guys at the front (I was directly in front of Alexi and Roope, entire gig) managed to stick through without passing out. I know a lot of willpower on my part kept me conscious. It was mainly the thought that I'd walk outside with my mate and start decking random people out of sheer frustration... but we'd cooled off a bit when we got outside.

It was irritating. There were such massive rushes towards the stage, when it was completely obvious that nobody was gonna move anywhere. I don't know what people were out to achieve, but it was completely selfish.

It was probably the worst gig I've been to, just due to the crowd. I barely got to spectate the band at all.

Not even going into the multitude of crowd surfers who used my neck as a landing pad...

One time I was at a Fear Factory show (Obsolete tour) and some dumb shit wearing steel-toed boots was crowd surfing out of my view. I didn't notice him until his boot hit me in the head. Ouch. He disappeared into the circle pit behind me before I could return the favor.

Moonlapse said:
Mmm.

I don't know how us guys at the front (I was directly in front of Alexi and Roope, entire gig) managed to stick through without passing out. I know a lot of willpower on my part kept me conscious. It was mainly the thought that I'd walk outside with my mate and start decking random people out of sheer frustration... but we'd cooled off a bit when we got outside.

It was irritating. There were such massive rushes towards the stage, when it was completely obvious that nobody was gonna move anywhere. I don't know what people were out to achieve, but it was completely selfish.

It was probably the worst gig I've been to, just due to the crowd. I barely got to spectate the band at all.

Not even going into the multitude of crowd surfers who used my neck as a landing pad...

Hahaha... by the end (due to people giving up and getting pulled out) I managed to get up the front, pretty much right in front of Alexi. I was probably standing right next to you or something. :lol:

But yeah, I hardly remember anything of the actual band. When I finally got up the front, I pretty much just kept my arms between myself and the barrier and copped the beating. Occasionally I'd push back if I was being pummelled particularly hard, but otherwise I just used that as my chance to actually watch the fucking band for a change. :lol:

I am totally chill at metal shows, and I try to keep it to a 2 drink maximum because I want to enjoy/remember the show!

No offense to big sweaty ass drunken indians with Slayer shirts, but... I do not like big sweaty drunk ass indians in Slayer shirts. They seem to be the worst offenders in terms of invading the olfactory senses and showing the least amount of pit etiquette.

Crowd surfing never botherd me until I grew 6'+.... The 5% of us that stick above the rest of the front crowd always seem to get our heads kicked and banged from the surfers more than others.... There are times when I worry about my neck breaking.... I wish I was short......