OT Great men with long hair in the history of mankind

The biggest thing that has always bothered me about KISS is Gene Simmons. He seems like the biggest ass hat to ever walk the Earth. He's always trying to find some way to rip his fans off and make money.

As for Hendrix, I have a lot of respect for him and what he has done for guitar playing, but I don't like his music (I have heard most all of it, including the non radio friendly stuff) too experimental for my tastes. I hear it's great when you're stoned, though!

The biggest thing that has always bothered me about KISS is Gene Simmons. He seems like the biggest ass hat to ever walk the Earth. He's always trying to find some way to rip his fans off and make money.
Gene gets a pass from me because he's so outright honest about the fact that he only cares about making money and such... i can't fault the guy for calling it like it is.

I was a huge KISS fan when I was younger (up until I was about 12 or so). I had the posters, action figures, comic books, etc. I even saw them on their "farewell" tour in 2000....I skip the farewell tours that seem to happen on a yearly basis since then. They are entertaining and people eat it up, though I'm not sure why anymore. Gene has made an empire around the whole thing and probably has more money than any of us could imagine having. Ass? Clearly. I sure wouldn't mind some of his money though.

It's no secret that they are more of a stage act than a musical group...I don't think anyone would deny that.

I was a huge KISS fan when I was younger (up until I was about 12 or so). I had the posters, action figures, comic books, etc. I even saw them on their "farewell" tour in 2000....I skip the farewell tours that seem to happen on a yearly basis since then. They are entertaining and people eat it up, though I'm not sure why anymore. Gene has made an empire around the whole thing and probably has more money than any of us could imagine having. Ass? Clearly. I sure wouldn't mind some of his money though.

It's no secret that they are more of a stage act than a musical group...I don't think anyone would deny that.

Funny...I would think you too young to be into KISS like that. I was into them back in '76-'78. They're just a stupid, fun band...no reason to hate 'em.

I think the reunion tour craze is far more annoying and fan raping than farewell tours...although they are both usually complete bullshit.

Triple H m/

Triple-H---HHH--C10043417.jpeg

Triple_H.jpg

wow...that's when he was really juiced up.:OMG:

I am way too young to have been into them like that(I'm only 20), but I had found an old record of theirs in either my dad or my uncle's stuff and just thought the whole image was really cool and got into it from there. I wont deny that I still have some of the memorabillia and CD's (like you said...it's just fun stuff). I have a Peter Criss autographed drumhead that I'll never get rid off, some tour books, etc., and some of the McFarlane sculptures that were based on the comics (just because they look cool). I sold all the rest of the stuff a few years ago to put towards school....otherwise it all would still just be in a box getting dusty somewhere.

Funny...I would think you too young to be into KISS like that. I was into them back in '76-'78. They're just a stupid, fun band...no reason to hate 'em.

I think the reunion tour craze is far more annoying and fan raping than farewell tours...although they are both usually complete bullshit.

Actually, I listened to them when I was young as well. Around the time their psycho circus album came out. I lost interest after a few weeks and moved on to metallica and megadeth.:lol:

Farewell tours don't bother me so long as they actually are farewell tours. I don't think it's a bad idea for a band who knows they're going to be done to make sure their fans know that it's now or never and to sort of bow out gracefully rather than just dissappear. It's when they do the farewell tour....then a reunion tour....then another farewell tour, followed by a few festival headlines, and then another world tour that I completelly stop caring. Reunion tours kind of depend on the band for me.

( at Noble) ah, you still havent heard it then, but you are probably 50% right... lol

Kiss entertaining ? I suppose, but I remember when that shit came out, I had to ask myself... why would I want to take such a giant leap backwards in my musical taste. "I wanna rock n roll all night and party everyday" repeat 30 times... end song

Detriot Rock City is a good song, perhaps a few others but I will walk out of a bar if the band starts playing Kiss (or Foreigner) songs. Find someone in a bar playing Hendrix... rarely... why... cause very few can handle the guitar parts. "Wait Until Tommorow", "Bold as Love" (his best song), "One Rainy Wish", "Crosstown Traffic", "Manic Depression", "All Along the Watchtower" both "Vodoo Chile" s, "Machine Gun" and others I cant think of as well as over played songs like Purple Haze & Foxy Lady all great songs. This dude was not following an already laid down formula but at least I see those of you who give him that credit.

Thats just the thing with Kiss, they are teeny bopper music. By the time they came out I was too old to be sucked into the bullshit and have hated them since.

( at Noble) ah, you still havent heard it then, but you are probably 50% right... lol

No, not everything, but enough to know it probably wouldn't interest me unless he completely changes style on the stuff I haven't heard.

Also, your post reminded me of the movie Detroit Rock City, which was funny as hell. It was about the 4 kids who win tickets to a kiss concert. Anyone watched it before?

Completely agree. Plus the term "reunion" gets thrown around WAY too often. Anthrax and Testament are perfect examples of this... those bands never went away! Same with Maiden and Priest... these are not reunions, they just got back the guys that made the bands kick ass (though priest doesn't seem to be taking advantage, and halford's losing it).

At the Gates, Carcass, Assassin, Forbidden... all legitimate reunions. But i've heard that Carcass sucks now, haven't heard about ATG, i guess Forbidden was pretty tits and Assassin is assassin. I think a reunion is fine if the people still can perform their music (usually if they're with other bands and keep with music before coming back), but it's useless just to show people what they missed... or didn't.

And the Possessed reunion can suck my balls.

Speaking of Judas Priest: We where discussing, among team members of DPRP.net, whether or not the new Judas Priest album is "prog" enough for review. It's not that we discourage that kind of music, we just have to keep the readerships interests in mind. Do you think it's appropriate?

Speaking of Judas Priest: We where discussing, among team members of DPRP.net, whether or not the new Judas Priest album is "prog" enough for review. It's not that we discourage that kind of music, we just have to keep the readerships interests in mind. Do you think it's appropriate?

I would say just as a rule that Judas Priest doesn't belong on a prog rock site. I haven't heard the new one and understand it's not exactly like the other stuff, but i'd still say steer clear :lol: