OT: Limewire...Legal Or Not Legal?

ThraxMan

Metal Madman
Feb 15, 2002
Northern Michigan
Visit site
Is Limewire legal for downloading mp3's, videos, and other files? I have been very weary of using file sharing services in light of the countless lawsuits with Napster, Morpheus, KaZaa, etc...

ThraxMan

Nope its a legally ok for transfers of non-copyright material but they do no checks on what files are uploaded to it so no1 uses it for what it's ment to be hence. why its been goin so long

Don't use it as its full of spyware despite their guarantee's its not!

Try http://www.mp3search.ru/ for mp3s. It's a Russian site where you pay for mp3's, but they're dirt cheap...10 cents a song, 9 cents per song if you buy the whole album at once, but bonus songs if you put so much into your account all at once. You won't find really rare stuff, but their selection is pretty solid, I can usually find about 90% of what I'm looking for, and they take requests if something isn't there. Songs are always good quality, so I've found it worth the cost just in the time I save weeding out bogus files from file-sharing programs.

Plus, it's legal...in Russia, anyway :D As far as I know, it's legal for us to download from it anywhere in the world, the question is whether the site itself is legal. They CLAIM that artists/labels get a share from each song sold.

Old tits

I downloaded Limewire and looked it over. Maybe I am a wuss with a conscience but I just couldn't bring myself to download from it. There were constant reminders popping up about the legalities about the files you attempt to download. Looks like they have themselves covered. At one time I would have never gave it another thought but knowing what I know now I question this service. Anyways I uninstalled it.

ThraxMan

nafnikufesin said:
Plus, it's legal...in Russia, anyway :D As far as I know, it's legal for us to download from it anywhere in the world, the question is whether the site itself is legal. They CLAIM that artists/labels get a share from each song sold.

Old tits

I think, for the US, they consider it to be illegal. I'm not sure about Canada, though.

Personally, I buy actual CDs that I can listen to in the car. Then, I rip them myself. I don't trust having just a digital copy of anything (especially after I've been through one hard drive failure).

I highly doubt there is much legal activity on Limewire regardless of what is said. I'm not too concerned about the spyware and adware from Limewire as my pc is well protected.

ThraxMan

I tried downloading Limewire. One it wouldn't work on my computer and two Limewire made my buddies computers really laggy everytime they used it.

I use shareaza. Totally free, and I have found some hard to find stuff as well. I kinda do some cheating, so even if they DID want to come after me (yeah I downloaded a few metallica songs just to say I did it), they wont find me......heh heh heh. But, anyways, I like shareaze, one of my "computer geek" friends told me about it. No adware or anything like that.

Not to take the moral highground but I generally download a lot of music but I also end up buying most of it if I like it - the rest I just delete.

Its more to do with the fact that P2P has become my new radio. If I like what I hear after DLing I go buy it.

Gibba said:
Downloading copyrighted data using Limewire is illegal. Unless you're downloading Metallica! Mp3's Up Your Ass Lars!!:D

Actually the act of downloading copyrighted material from another persons computer(ip address) is perfectly legal BUT it is illegal for that person to allow another person to do so---in other words download all the music, movies you want just dont share it

Also--FUCK LARS