OT: Stratovarius

Rose Immortal

Spirit of Hope
Jun 19, 2004
I was wondering if there are any Stratovarius albums worth hearing. I really enjoyed Timo Kotipelto's vocal performance on Ayreon's Universal Migrator and I'm wondering how the rest of the band sounds.

I have actually seen the following albums on the shelf at a local store...are any of these good?

Elements Pt. 1
Elements Pt. 2
Intermission

Stratovarius is a good band. My favorite album is "Visions" (also probably their most popular). "Episode" is also good, as is "Destiny". I like the albums that you mentioned they had in your music store, but if you are just getting into them I would say get "Visions" first.

Rose Immortal said:
I was wondering if there are any Stratovarius albums worth hearing. I really enjoyed Timo Kotipelto's vocal performance on Ayreon's Universal Migrator and I'm wondering how the rest of the band sounds.
Well, "Out Of The White Hole" is Kotipelto's best vocal performance by far in my opinion, so definitely listen to some Stratovarius before buying anything. He just doesn't get vocal lines of that quality there.

DoktorShred said:
Well he does, so i don't know what you've been listening to. If you don't like his voice just say it, but don't give false information.

I don't have a problem with the voice, or even the accent really. He just strains and goes flat on the high notes. The chorus of Black Diamond is a good example.

PS: I like Alpha & Omega.

I recommend older Stratovarius albums. Tolkki may not sing as well as Kotipelto, but songs are otherwise better. I think Stratovarius repeats itself nowadays, too many songs sound similar to others.