Stratovarius news

Has anyone heard his work outside of Strato, it freakin' BLOWS!!!

The only good thing he does IS his solos, lol...

you know, I wonder if Jens Johansson can actualy find someone to work with who ISNT a asshole..I mean, I know Allen isnt, but you know..mabie, hmm, MJR could do some side work..hmm, mabie a redoing of Guitar Chapter with him on keys sounds really cool..hmm...

RobbM said:
Has anyone heard his work outside of Strato, it freakin' BLOWS!!!

The only good thing he does IS his solos, lol...

you know, I wonder if Jens Johansson can actualy find someone to work with who ISNT a asshole..I mean, I know Allen isnt, but you know..mabie, hmm, MJR could do some side work..hmm, mabie a redoing of Guitar Chapter with him on keys sounds really cool..hmm...
haven't you heard Johansson - The last viking ? great stuff IMO :)

I guess I can kind of see the point of view of people who talk negatively about Yngwie and Timo, but personally, I think that that view is rather inaccurate. I feel like I understand where Yngwie and Timo are coming from.

Especially in Yngwie's case, he has something specific that he wants to do, and he hires people to do what he needs them to do. People who work well with him long term are people who buy into the same vision, and are okay with a supporting role. People who don't work well with him long term are those who have a different vision, and want to contribute creative input that is not in line with Yngwie's direction. Why should Yngwie play music that he doesn't want to play? And people who don't want to play Yngwie's music should know better than to accept a position in Yngwie's support band.

I also like Yngwie's straightforward comments. It's actually rather refreshing in the midst of the putrid pool of political correctness that the world has become.

I've never met Yngwie myself, but I know people who know him, and they all have good things to say about him as a person. The only bad things I hear are rumors and hearsay. Nothing firsthand.

Now the trendy thing is to bash Timo. It's a rerun of all the trendy, lemming-like Yngwie bashing that has been going on for years. Timo's right to be angry about people stealing his music. (And yes, it is stealing!) Why would he have anything nice to say about thieves? I wouldn't feel very well-disposed toward thieves that came into my house and stole my possessions. Why should Timo have to?

Anyway, it's just sad to see people jumping on the bandwagon of trying to bring people down. It's a sad commentary on the state of the world. Whether it be the problems with Stratovarius or the whole Michael Jackson thing, the way people are reacting is saying a lot more about those people than it's saying about Strato, MJ, etc.

Well, that's my rant against negativism! :)

I think the difference between Yngwie and Timo is that Yngwie is a solo artist. That implies right there that everything revolves around his creative vision. Stratovarius is a band. A band implies that at least two or more members all contribute to the creative process. Tolkki reminds me of Jon Schaffer in how he views his "band" and personally, I think they both come off as arrogant. Why call it Stratovarius or Iced Earth if only one member matters and everyone else is expendable? Just call it The Timo Tolkki Band or The Jon Schaffer Band. Or go the Yngwie route and call it "Timo Tolkki's Stratovarius" or something.

And about the file sharing thing. Yes Tolkki has a right to be upset about people downloading his music, but his way of expressing himself about it certainly alienated some fans (same with what Lars did). Telling your fans if you download their music he doesn't want you as a fan? Thats a bit harsh don't you think? Why not instead of threatening your "fans" with lawsuits, why not give them more incentive to buy the album? Why not host FULL mp3 samples on your website so they don't have to get them illegally and you get to display to them the songs you want to represent the band? And secondly, maybe the reason fans are weary of purchasing before hearing is because your writing has gotten boring and stale? Someone mentioned that Kotipelto's songs were rejected from Elements because Tolkki thought they were "too different." Translation: Kotipelto is trying to move the band's sound foward yet Tolkki refuses to do this. And its this repetition of how each album sounds so similar that has made many fans grow bored of Strato (myself included). When you keep repeating yourself stylistically it tends to do one of two things: a) the writing is hit or miss and b) even the good songs on later albums lose momentum a bit because even if its good its like...well we've heard this sort of thing already.

I also don't necessarily think that you need to deviate from your style to move ahead musically. Some bands do (ie Dream Theater), but bands like Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Angra, and especially Symphony X have struck such a strong balance between maturing musically yet still retaining a signature sound so theres a certain amount of familiarity yet its still fresh when you listen to new albums.

Anyway, that was a bit off topic, tho still relevant, since its possible that if Tolkki was interested in moving Stratovarius' sound foward and letting the other members (especially Kotipelto - who's solo album was just great) contribute to the creative process that they wouldn't be in such a tough spot right now.

i wanted to point out that i never said anything about tolkki having the "it's my band" attitude. That's fine if he has that. I think it's bullshit because it's not his band, it was the band of the 3 founding members that he kicked out, but that's not my point. My point was that it was very unprofessional to bring this to public light in the first place. If he would have reached some sort of finality with his band members before going off like this, then that's fine... i still think it's bullshit, but at least i would be a little more understanding. It's the WAY he did it that is fucked up. He brought it upon himself. Michael Jackson didn't really choose for this whole thing to be brought to the public... tolkki did.

As for the stealing thing, we have gone over the mp3 filesharing thing a million times... most people wouldn't be into metal without filesharing, at least not half the bands. I would know about very few bands without mp3's and such. Stealing whole albums, yes, there is validity in that. But a few songs? no.

Hmmm... I don't know what to say. As soon as large sums of money get involved, I think there's trouble with bands. I've seen quite a few good groups go down the drain over money problems, and even ruin friendships in the process. Now to me, good friendships and working relationship with musicians are worth more than money. But anyhow, about Timo, I have noticed that he's taking a similar stance as Jon Schaffer. Although I love the music of Iced Earth and Stratovarius, it seems problematic to me how they go through musicians like toilet paper.

Luis said:
Oh yeah, Yngwie is a los artist and he used to bo a virtuoso, and he did one of the best guitars albums ever: "Rising Force" and he plays one million times better than Timo. What timo have done??? He doesnt even know how to hold a guitar.....

I didn't mean the fact that he is a solo artist is the only difference. I meant it as a response to saying that Tolkki has a right to act like that and comparing him to someone like Yngwie. Yngwie sort of has the right to make the other members of his band expendable because its the YNGWIE MALMSTEEN band, whereas Stratovarius is Stratovarius, not the Timo Tolkki band.

oh well, i just wanna hear Jens playing more amazing music, i have infinity and HATED it....what crap. Im glad Jens is probably leaving Strato as he was very restrained from what he can do. I know thats a very selfish comment tho, but seriously, Jens can do more.

If somebody says "this band is my band" then it never has been a band at all and it simply disqualifies Tolkki as person.

Moreover Stratovarius has never been more than a Finnish version of Helloween. Who cares about their boring songs anyway?

RobbM said:
In never knew he did a project with MJR, does anyone know where I could get some info on this, I gotta hear it...
Yes he did, Michael Romeo worked with Jens and Ander Johansson. The name of the Disc is "The Last Viking". Its full of neo-classical good songs and two ballads. My favorite track on the disc is "Forrest Song". Fans of Yngwie will enjoy this CD for sure ¡¡

Line up: Jens Johansson - Keyboards
Ander Johansson - Drums
Goran Edman (Ex Ygwie) - Vocals
Michael Romeo - Guitars and Bass

Hope this help

Timmo's right, it is his band. But anyone should be totally alowed to leave it and create their own stuff. I can't really force myself to make an opinion on this topic, i just got into this band and it's that time where i dont know enough about them/their history to even act like i do. I dont even completly understand the situation at hand, all i hope is that ill still be able to hear good things from all members, wether they are together or not.

I figured that from the beginning (Fright Night) everybody assumed that it was Timo T's band (like I did), so I'm really surprised that people are surprised that he said so. To me, Timo Tolkki is Stratovarius and Stratovarius is Timo Tolkki. The other guys are very good, of course, but from the beginning, the main flavor of Strato has always been the flavor of Timo Tolkki. (Whether somebody likes that flavor is of course a different question.) So when Timo said "It's my band" I had no reaction at all, because to me he was only stating the obvious.

It sounds like my perception is a bit different from a lot of others, so it's possible that it was just my perception.

I know i´m entering in a conflictuous situation but i got to expose my opinion.

Some people who are saying bad things about Tolkki and Stratovarius are people who doesn´t know well the band, for a long time Tolkki has been the primary composer of the band, but everyone contributes in the process, Kotipelto and Johanson has very cool compositions but Tolkki has the majority of compositions. It just came out this way naturally. I have read some interviews where the other band members comments about this and they have said clearly that there´s not a dictatorship inside the band. Anyone can find some nice pieces by Kotipelto and Johanson in Stratovarius albuns.
Maybe Timo has been a little rude and direct in his declaration but like someone said we don´t really know what´s going on... so i think we don´t have the right to make premature judgements.
About the Tolkki and Kotipelto solo albuns, i don´t think Tolkki is angry because some people says that Kotipelto album is better, that was not the intention, he wanted to release something different, not another metal album like he has done for years in Stratovarius, i´m not saying that his album is the best album of the year nor that it´s better than Kotipeltos, but in my opinion he was very courageous to make a very personal album and to expose his deepest ideas and emotions.
Now things like: "Stratovarius sucks!", "Tolkki is an asshole!", "SymX is much better than Strato!" is just so immature... Now THIS IS arrogant !!!
There´s no such a thing like "Rommeo is better than Tolkki!", he can use more technics and play faster but music IS NOT a competition!!! There´s just excellent musicians trying to express themselves through music in a personal way, putting out their deepest emotions and playing like they want to play.
I met Stratovarius music before than Symphony X but i like both, if you prefer SymX that´s allright but don´t say things like "Stratovarius is shit!", that´s STUPID! That´s my opinion.

Peace

Ricardo_Christyan said:
Anyone can find some nice pieces by Kotipelto and Johanson in Stratovarius albuns.

True, if by "some" you mean two, because theres only two to find, one by Kotipelto (Uncertainty on Episode) and one by Jens (Glory of the World on Infinite), unless you count b sides, then maybe theres 4 :p.

Yngvai X said:
True, if by "some" you mean two, because theres only two to find, one by Kotipelto (Uncertainty on Episode) and one by Jens (Glory of the World on Infinite), unless you count b sides, then maybe theres 4 :p.

Hehehe...right.... :p

But as i write the majority of compositions are signed by Tolkki. And Kotipelto has contributed with some lyrics too. Besides those you mentioned there is: "Dream with me" (Kotipelto), "Keep the flame" (Johasson) and "Run Away" (Johasson).

Hey, there´s more than four songs...... :D

Keep Rockin' :)

I love strato personally, and i know people are calling the most attention to Tolkki saying it's his band... i want to state once more (because i feel like it's getting burried under everything) that it's not about Tolkki claiming band ownership... i think it's bullshit, but the main point is that he is making a public deal about PRIVATE band matters... i don't htink that's cool and i think he is disrespecting his band mates a whole lot... that's my beef with it... mmm... .beef..... *drool*