Timo, Timo, Timo (Stratovarius related) LOL!!

Metaldrumz

Jul 18, 2002
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=115101

Timo Tolkki (REVOLUTION RENAISANCE, STRATOVARIUS) has announced that he will record another album with former STRATOVARIUS members Tuomo Lassila (drums) and Anti Ikonen (keyboards). Tentatively titled "Return To Dremspace", the CD is slated for a September 2009 release. The fans will decide the name of the project in some sort of contest. Tolkki says, "If the fans decide that it should be called STRATOVARIUS, then it will. Then I will face the consequences, but that will be one interesting trial, I tell you that."

Regarding the musical direction of the CD, Tolkki said, "It has been 15 years from [STRATOVARIUS' 'Dreamspace'] album, so it will be interesting, for sure... It's not a 'remake,' but a brand new album. A closure for [what] I consider to be the end of STRATOVARIUS. It completes the cycle and returns to the beginning."

Tolkki drew up and signed an official waiver on May 20, 2008 giving up all rights to the STRATOVARIUS name. The remaining STRATOVARIUS members — Timo Kotipelto (vocals), Jens Johansson (keyboards) and Lauri Porra (bass) — have since announced plans to carry on with new guitarist Matias Kupiainen.

I definitely don't think it should be called Stratovarius, and I'll drop any respect I have left for Tolkki if he tries to use it after signing the waiver... but DAMN am I stoked for the album! Dreamspace was my favorite Strato album by far, and I consider it to be the peak of the band's creativity.

I'm hoping the name argument is just another Tolkki publicity stunt.

Sounds like he is trying to "bait" fans into voting for the name to be stratovarius. He loves the controversy. Why even have a vote? You cant give up a name and then use it as a option in a vote. What is he thinking...

Sounds like he is trying to "bate" fans into voting for the name to be stratovarius. He loves the controversy. Why even have a vote? You cant give up a name and then use it as a option in a vote. What is he thinking...
Seems obvious what he's thinking. I think he's definitely trying to bait the fans into naming the proposed album Stratovarius, BUT, honestly, how would anyone know exactly what the fans voted for? He'll try to name it that regardless. I think it's eating him up that he's given up the name and the others are continuing on w/o him.

Stratovarius proper just announced the name of the new album (Polaris), more tour dates and festival appearances, the name of the first single ("Deep Unknown") AND they just filmed the video for it. He just can't stand to have all the attention on them, so here we go with this. Why can't he just focus on RR? I thought it had real potential. Bringing back those guys, some who've done nothing musically since, is just a stunt and will undoubtedly result in a sub par effort, if it's ever done at all. Really, I just wish TT would let it go, but that's apparently impossible.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=115101

Timo Tolkki (REVOLUTION RENAISANCE, STRATOVARIUS) has announced that he will record another album with former STRATOVARIUS members Tuomo Lassila (drums) and Anti Ikonen (keyboards). Tentatively titled "Return To Dremspace", the CD is slated for a September 2009 release. The fans will decide the name of the project in some sort of contest. Tolkki says, "If the fans decide that it should be called STRATOVARIUS, then it will. Then I will face the consequences, but that will be one interesting trial, I tell you that."

Regarding the musical direction of the CD, Tolkki said, "It has been 15 years from [STRATOVARIUS' 'Dreamspace'] album, so it will be interesting, for sure... It's not a 'remake,' but a brand new album. A closure for [what] I consider to be the end of STRATOVARIUS. It completes the cycle and returns to the beginning."

Tolkki drew up and signed an official waiver on May 20, 2008 giving up all rights to the STRATOVARIUS name. The remaining STRATOVARIUS members — Timo Kotipelto (vocals), Jens Johansson (keyboards) and Lauri Porra (bass) — have since announced plans to carry on with new guitarist Matias Kupiainen.

You get the impression this guy wants to be the Gene Simmons of power metal, at least in terms of self-promotion. He's just too damned erratic to make it work.

I bet it sounds like everything else he's done :) Sorry, but they bored me to tears live and if I shuffle all their songs on my mp3 player I couldn't tell you which song was on what album with the exception of a few. Not that it's a bad thing, when I buy a Slayer album I want a Slayer album, but with them you can tell they've stretched a little each release.

I don't think the Stratovarius coffin or condom will have as much market appeal as the KISS ones.. lol.

I wonder what disorder Timo Tolkki has been diagnosed with. His histrionics are very tiring. The man needs to get on his meds and take them regularly. Then maybe we'll see some clarity (and good music) out of him once again.

Why is anyone surprised with this news? Last year he said that he was going to do this.

+1

This isn't a news, Timo Tolkki talked about making a "last" CD with the old members last spring, (and it was on the Blabbermouth news, June 2008) long before the other Stratoguys had made any decisisions whether they'd continue under the Stratovarius moniker or call it quits after Timo had released his waiver to grant the name and all rights to the remaining members.

Timo also knows how to handle unusual marketing methods, :p so, putting up a public poll about the bandname will definitely set the word out more efficiently than a dozen paid adverts. In the end he can still choose a name for the band (Ikonen-Lassila-Tolkki-whoever) playing on the CD as he pleases but can't use "Stratovarius" without legal consequences.

But honestly, he doesn't have to go for it, everybody and their mothers will know it's the old Stratovarius lineup anyway. And if the music will be anything in the veins of the "good old Strato days", then the CD will sell better than sliced bread.

I remember reading this a while back. This whole thing is gonna get "interesting" to say the least...

The remaining STRATOVARIUS members — Timo Kotipelto (vocals), Jens Johansson (keyboards) and Lauri Porra (bass) — have since announced plans to carry on with new guitarist Matias Kupiainen.

what about Jorg?????

what about Jorg?????
He's still with them. Here he is getting ready for the video shoot a couple days ago. And here he is drumming for the video. No worries. :)

I'm just wondering about value in this original Strato line-up album idea. Many people seem excited, but could this really turn out to be a good thing musically? I'm curious. All I can see that Tuomo Lassila has done since, is the Worlds Apart album with Conquest in 2000 that didn't see to get much attention and a demo with Chrism in 2005 that I didn't hear about at all.

As for Antti Ikonen, I can't find that he's done anything. Can someone please enlighten me about what these two guys have been doing musically? I mean, reformation projects for nostalgia's sake alone can be disastrous musically if everyone's not up to chops, and in the end, does more damage than good in the public eye.

I'm just wondering about value in this original Strato line-up album idea. Many people seem excited, but could this really turn out to be a good thing musically? I'm curious.
I'm not really sure if this "resurrection project" :p is a good idea, but Tolkki seems to be sticking to it, so why not if the others agree to work and record it with him.

All I can see that Tuomo Lassila has done since, is the Worlds Apart album with Conquest in 2000 that didn't see to get much attention and a demo with Chrism in 2005 that I didn't hear about at all. As for Antti Ikonen, I can't find that he's done anything. Can someone please enlighten me about what these two guys have been doing musically?
Antti Ikonen seems to have disappeared from the scene to do something else, can't find anything about him on any Finnish music website.

Tuomo Lassila went to study music at the Sibelius Academy after he left/was ousted from Strato and spcialized on percussion, got his diploma in 1997 and joined the Lohja City Orchestra. (scroll to the bottom of the page) and he also teaches drums and percussion in several music schools in southern Finland. He's worked as a full time professional in the classical field of music for over a decade now.

I mean, reformation projects for nostalgia's sake alone can be disastrous musically if everyone's not up to chops, and in the end, does more damage than good in the public eye.
Hey, Tolkki promised to sing the lead vocs himself, that alone with his guitar playing must be worth parting with some 15 €/$, won't it? :err: