Otep anyone?

Haha c'mon...play nicely, now. :lol:

I don't like Otep either, but at least he's balls enough to admit that he still likes em (only if even a little). The fact that he is cruising the Opeth board says SOMETHING of his taste.

And hey, don't we all have our guilty pleasures? :D

Originally posted by IanDork107
I don't think it's appropriate to talk of otep on an Opeth board. That's like calling Korn great on a Katatonia board, entirely wrong and uncalled for.

Err, please shut up.

Thanks.

I don't care if people like nu-metal, but I personally think Otep are the worst nu-metal band I've ever heard. I listened to a song, and here is what it sounded like to me:

guitar-Slipknot
vocals-Kittie
drums-any band that has a drummer with no talent (extremely simple beats)
bass-there was bass?

Originally posted by LordHypnos
Otep? try No-Tep

This is the funniest thing I've ever heard. It's not inherently funny... there's just something about it.

As for the subject at hand... I'm afraid that Otep do, indeed, suck. I remember reading a story about how their singer was beat up and I found that humorous, but that's about it.

The thing I don't like about numetal is this:

Take Atheist for example. I got Piece of Time long ago, and I listened to it while I drove. I liked it more and more and more. One time it just clicked and I was in love. I listened to it even more and it got better and better. It clicked even more today, and I listened to that album about four times today, i'll probably listen more.

That does not happen with numetal, numetal is like at first it can be catchy, and you might like it a bit. Then with each listen it just gets more boring.

I made generalasations, I am just talking about most numetal, I know there are exceptions, so don't jump on me for generalising.

Nu-metal is very obvious. I think real greatness comes from being able to have something that expresses a feeling, but not directly. Otep is trying to be angry and it is impossible to miss (trying). If you listen to Opeth they can express so much emotion (not just anger) while playing death metal (death/doom/whatever). And I don't just mean the acousitic parts in Opeth. Listening to Testament (or other great bands) they can change the whole mood of a song in one guitar melody.

Originally posted by TrueBeliever
If you listen to Opeth they can express so much emotion (not just anger) while playing death metal (death/doom/whatever).

Very good point. Indeed, with the strum of a chord, Opeth can mold emotional landscapes like clay statues.