Other recent female-vocal releases -- opinions?

The Stormbird

New Metal Member
Oct 6, 2007
Since I haven't been around for a long time, and some of you are new to me, I just thought I'd throw this out to get an idea of what people think of recent releases in female-vocal metal.

As for me, I have really been digging the latest Sirenia album, Nine Destinies and a Downfall, with their new vocalist Monica Pederson. Even though it lacks the brilliance and heaviness of earlier albums, I still like it a lot. Even if it is a bit more mainstream, it's very catchy and it rocks.

I could say pretty much the same thing about the latest Theatre of Tragedy album, Storm, with their new vocalist Nell Sigland (from The Crest). It also sounds designed to appeal to more of a mainstream audience, but hell, I like it.

The latest from Tristania, Illumination, was a disappointment for me, much like the preceding Ashes. There are maybe a couple good songs, but the rest..... ugh!

Epica.... uhhh yeah.... haven't liked any of their stuff since their debut.

After Forever..... haven't liked anything since Decipher.

Haven't given the latest Within Temptation album a thorough listen yet, but my first impression was that it wasn't that great.

Same goes for The Gathering's Home -- didn't impress me, but I've only listened to it once so far.

Don't even get me started on the last Lacuna Coil.... that could get ugly.

And there's some new album by some band that starts with an N, I think.....from some Scandinavian country, I believe..... still working my way through that one.

So, what do YOU think of the latest releases from the last year or two?

I like Sirenia's Nine Destinies and a Downfall, though i wouldn't expect to see it in top 10 when i do my regular year end round up in a few months. It took me a while to warm up to Monica. For a while i felt that her voice was weak, though i did love the chorus to "Seven Keys and Nine Doors".

I haven't given the ToT's Storm a shot, so i can't comment. Tristania's Illumination on the other hand, i have given a shot, and i have to agree that it was a disappointment. I suppose if you were completely new to Tristania, it might be a decent album, but knowing what we know, it's hard to not to feel a sense of loss.

Epica: I love Epica. They are one of my favorites these days. Each album takes a few listens to warm up to, but that's always the way with good music. I loved "Consign To Oblivion" and now i can say the same about "The Divine Conspiracy". My favorites are probably Chasing The Dragon (which for me has a bit of a "Feint" quality) and Never Enough (which although fairly accessible just has great energy and a great feel to it), although i don't think any track is one i skip.

After Forever: Well there has been a definite changes since Decipher. For starters, Mark Jansen left in 2002 to form Epica, that could explain alot of it. For me, while i have always *loved* Floor's voice, i never quite got into After Forever, and Invisible Circles was entirely too depressing for me. It wasn't until Joost van den Broek signed on that i truly began to feel strongly about AF. I'm sure there are people out there who will talk shit about the changes, and some of them may even be legitimate, but for me this shift has just completely worked. I absolutely LOVED 2005's Remagine and this years self-title is no slouch either.

Within Temptation: I had a bit of a critical eye towards The Silent Force but there was no denying how good it was. For me, The Heart of Everything isn't quite as good as The Silent Force, and i have made even more commercial/evanescence-path-walking comparisons with "What Have You Done" (including Keith Caputo of Life of Agony), but at the end of the day i still very much enjoy the album.

The Gathering: Besides the fact that they have been pretty out there for the last decade, and besides the fact that Anneke has left this year, i still haven't really cared for them or given them much attention since 1995's Mandylion. That was their "great work", and since then, i've given them a sampling every so often, but something about it hasn't quite worked for me (though admittedly, i have never given Nighttime Birds a listen.. i probably should).

Heh yeah Lacuna Coil could get ugly. I said my piece when i put Karmacode on my "most disappointing albums of 2006" list. (you can read my entire top/disappointing of 2006 list here )

That "N" group, oh yeah you know i hate them. It's no wonder you aren't allowed to say the "N" name in full, they are THAT bad. :p (do i really need to point out the sarcasm in this statement?)

Invisible Circles has been growing on me, but I'm with Tramz... I love her voice but just haven't ever really gotten into them.

Within Temptation.... Heart of Everything is very easy to singalong too.... I am addicted.... as much as it leans toward commercial compared to the other stuff.... oh, such addiction. The lyrics were also very fitting for a recent stage in my life.

The Gathering: Besides the fact that they have been pretty out there for the last decade, and besides the fact that Anneke has left this year, i still haven't really cared for them or given them much attention since 1995's Mandylion. That was their "great work", and since then, i've given them a sampling every so often, but something about it hasn't quite worked for me (though admittedly, i have never given Nighttime Birds a listen.. i probably should).

Nighttime Birds is pretty good, I'd recommend you give it a whirl. Another one I'm quite fond of is 2003's Souvenirs (damn, it doesn't feel that old already). I had hoped Home would follow in a similar vein, and I think it tried to, but it just didn't work for me.

I love the new Epica...it's become far and away my fave Epica disc. The complexity, melodies, grunts, riffs, orchestral & choral layers, great lyrical content and concept, epicness (yes, it's a word because I just used it ;))...oh, and Simone isn't half bad either. Many :worship: and :kickass: to the band on this stunning work of art.

So I got the deluxe editon this week...I've gotten digibooks before, but none quite like this. It's taller...dimension are closer to an actual book. Could use some more color, but the black & white theme is interesting, kind of sets it apart.

The%20divine%20conspiracy%20deluxe%20edition.jpg

Here's my take...

Sirenia: I haven't listened to the new album that much, but I do like it.

Tristania: Anyone within 5 seconds of meeting me knows how much I hated Ashes, so I actually thought this was a step up. I can't listen to it much anymore now that Vibeke's gone, but thankfully Ashes was not her swan song.

ToT/Epica/The Gathering/After Forever: Not a fan.

Lacuna Coil: Yes, it could get ugly because I actually liked Karmacode. It's a high-energy album; not something I listen to nearly enough as much as the earlier stuff, but I've heard worse from other bands. Hearing the tracks from that album live was also great. I don't know what it is about Lacuna Coil, but they are so much better as a live band. Not that their studio albums sound bad, but...I can't explain it.

Within Temptation: Do I really need to say how much I love this band? They haven't put out an album yet that's disappointed me. I know a lot of people say the new album is "commercial", and I understand it to an extent, but I hardly think we can start calling them a pop band anytime soon. Then again, I often think it's "trendy" for people to automatically hate new stuff from a band. Like they seem like less of fans if they admit liking newer stuff.

As for me, I have really been digging the latest Sirenia album, Nine Destinies and a Downfall, with their new vocalist Monica Pederson. Even though it lacks the brilliance and heaviness of earlier albums, I still like it a lot. Even if it is a bit more mainstream, it's very catchy and it rocks.
I agree with your assessment...there are some really fine melodies on this album, and the only thing I miss is more of Morten's vocals.

Nightwish's Dark Passion Play-Love it! Best album of the year!

After Forever self-titled-I think it's great. I am happy that Floor does not do those annoying scales as much as she used to. (Well, not the scales or her skill, but when and where she does them.) "Transitory" is one of my favorite songs right now!

Epica-I find Simone Simons amazing but I think they are overbloated at times.

Lacuna Coil's Karmacode has an awesome single but the rest of the album is weak. It's doesn't grab like Comalies does.

Within Temptation-I LOVE The Silent Force! I heard everyone saying about how awesome Mother Earth is, I finally bought it and it doesn't grab me...yet. I like The Heart of Everything a lot but Sharon 86'ed her angelic voice for a grittier style that does not befit her very well.

Arch Enemy's newest cd is my favorite when it comes to females in the metal industry.
I'm not fond of Sirenia, or Tristania & I've never heard of epica. I like a few of Within Tempations songs but I'm not very pleased. I don't really like Lacuna Coil.
As as aspiring female vocalist, I have a lot of respect for them but I feel that female gutturalist don't get enough rage in their voices. I think they're very monotone & can't really do much with their voice.
Also, most bands with female vocalist, I feel are watered down... All except Arch Enemy.

Nightwish's Dark Passion Play-Love it! Best album of the year!

After Forever self-titled-I think it's great. I am happy that Floor does not do those annoying scales as much as she used to. (Well, not the scales or her skill, but when and where she does them.) "Transitory" is one of my favorite songs right now!

Epica-I find Simone Simons amazing but I think they are overbloated at times.

Lacuna Coil's Karmacode has an awesome single but the rest of the album is weak. It's doesn't grab like Comalies does.

Within Temptation-I LOVE The Silent Force! I heard everyone saying about how awesome Mother Earth is, I finally bought it and it doesn't grab me...yet. I like The Heart of Everything a lot but Sharon 86'ed her angelic voice for a grittier style that does not befit her very well.

I agree with you about WT - The Silent Force, that has to be the bestalbum they have ever done IMO

I also agree about AF -S/T that is an awesome album, the best of last year and the best AF have ever done IMO And Transitory is also my current favourite song :headbang:

I actually quite like LC -Karmacode but i notice most people don't :lol:

I really like Epica - The Divine Conspiracy, though releases before that i'm not too keen on

I like Diablo Swing Orchestra, Amberian Dawn (purely for Heidi's voice) and the new Epica is pretty mint. Simone had really come on leaps and bounds since I first heard her.
I'm on the fence about Pythia. I thought I'd like it as I love the Mediaeval Baebes and the singer was in that, but I dunno about the album. I haven't really heard an English female fronted band that I've really loved to be quite honest.

i have so many albums im into right now ranging from

epica - design your universe
Gwyllion - The Edge Of All I Know
The Gathering - City From Above (EP)
Holyhell - Holyhell - realy liking this album so check out the myspace page for some samples, im sure you will like it
http://www.myspace.com/holyhellofficial

Emerald Mind - Tales Of Soveena
Elis - Catharsis

among many others im always listening to

Mick :)