Otyg and folk dancing

.........It just popped up into my mind right now. I tried out some dancing and found that....

Originally posted by Karldin
När Älvadrottningen Kröns - Waltz

....didn't quite fit. It's 3/4, but not the typical waltz "heavy-light-light"; it's more even. But I could very well dance some folk-dance from where I'm from, called "Halling-springar" to it. That was quite some fun!

Man! What the hell happened to this thread?! Hehe...

Well, I just wanted to say that when I was out and
about on Norway's national day (out to get some
icecream for those who care) there was a group of
people folk dancing. Quite cool watching, but since
my boy was all stressed I didn't get to see much....

Anyway, cool of you to bring this one up Morgie! :eek:))

I don't have any talent in dancing, but I do have som idea in rythmns, since I am a muscian myself and have made some folk songs...

( http://fia.akershus-f.kommune.no/doksenter/folkemusikk/kommuner/enebakk.htm
Btw, the link has been changed since the last time someone typed it... )

When it comes to folkdancing and Otyg, I don't think Otyg is the right music dancing to. It's far to progressive and change rythmns all the time... Like "När älvadrottningen kröns". It's divided into two different rythmns. You've got this classical Waltz rythmn, which goes like: One, two, three, one, two, three...
And you've got a 6/6 rythmn(is it called that?) in the chorus that goes like, "One, two, three, four, five six, one, two, three, four, five six"... Listen to the bassbeat and the hits on the ride, and you'll probably get how the rythmn goes..

And there is also a "Bridge" or something which is also is a 6/6 rythmn...

So that song doesn't go like a normal Waltz song...

Then you've got that "Reinleder" rythmn, or what you called it. (never heard it before. hehe. Guess I'm not scholared)
It has a 4/4 rythmn. You can count: One, two, three, four, one, two, three, four, on the ride.
But there is also a "Bridge" here. And the rythmn totally change. I think it's a 8/8 rythmn or something.
So I guess you've got to stop dancing when your at this place. hehe...

Then it was the song "Mossfrun Kölnar". It starts with a tradtional 4/4 rythmn. But this song has a flute solo, and the rythmn goes over in a 6/6 rythmn. So even this song is not tradtional and suitable for "Leikaringen" to dance. hehe...

Then it was the song "Lövjerskan". It has a 3/3 rythmn through out the song, and is probably suited for dancing. I don't know, but this has at least the same "rythmn". This song has a sort of Jazz thing with it self i think..

Well, as Vintersorg has stated earlier, he doesn't care about musical-rules, and that's why we also find many things very unexpected in also Otyg. It's very fun listening to and maybe it's therefore many love his music..

I just have to add that, when I speak about rythmn I speak about something which is called "Takt" on Norwegian. I don't exactly know what it's called in English...