Overall master volume before mastering!

Simon_Empyrios

empYrios guitar master
Aug 10, 2004
Rimini, Italy
www.empyrios.it
Hi guys, I've a doubt... maybe it's a stupid question but it's important for my work! I've almost finished the mixing of my band's album, and I must give my mixed tracks to a professional studio for the mastering process...now, this is the situation in which I am. My master bus volume often goes in clipping during the song, having some peaks. Must I turn down the overall volume in relation with the major peak? I mean, if the max peak in the song it's for example +4.7 dB, is it correct if I turn down the overall volume of -4.7 db before I mixdown in a stereo track? thanx as usual! Simon

Are you hearing anything??
If you can't hear clipping, I wouldn't worry too much. If its easy just to turn it down, do it. Quite often I'll get the odd red light, judging by the amount of distortion I hear on other peoples albums these days I guess it doesn't matter.

I agree with Andy, but if you mastering yourself, watch out!
Don’t go to 0dB! Take a max like –0,1. Some DA convertors in CDplayers hate max level!

Well, digital clipping and distorsion is pretty much how modern albums sound nowadays, all done in effort to gain more level. Like Andy says, if you get an occasional over you don't have to worry, but if you're inexperienced and lack good monitoring you might be better off just lowering the output and leaving the desicion up to the mastering house.

You don't have to worry about sacrificing resolution if you're going down to a 16bit medium like CD in the end since your DAW most likely has an internal resolution of at least 32 bit float. If you're giving dithered 24 bit files to the mastering house you still get the same 16 bit quality if your mixes have a peak value of about -48dBFS so don't worry about lowering the output 6db or so.