Overhead Mics Recording in Garage (rock)

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
Sent this to Ermz via pm but would love more input

just wondering on a budget what overhead mics I could purchase. And I am doing rock not metal so a bit more Three Days Grace Breaking Benjamin genre. I am also recording in a garage so any tips you can give me there and maybe a bit of a forgiving mic...will record one mono room mic as well.

i did read about Harvey Gerst and his main overheads are (switches between) the Oktava MK-012, the Marshall MXL 603s and the $50 Behringer ECM-8000, the AEA R84 ribbons as overheads, Shure SM-81's, and the new $19 MSH mics (at: http://naiant.com/studiostore/6mmcapsulemics.html).

So wondering if any of these listed will do especially sincefrom what I read it's common to lift the low end a bit on overheads in rock mixing

If you can afford it get the Oktava's, but if you are on an insane budget like I am I just picked up two Behringer B5's off ebay for about 40 bux each and for the price I don't think there's anything that can compete. They are not a matched pair but they are close enough for me to not notice, and their frequency response is almost completely flat.