I was a bit worried, but these cheap overhead mics pulled through!

Lowberg

Aug 26, 2004
Rochester, NY
Basically, I sold all of my "good" Audix drum mics a while ago and got a roland E-kit.

So of course as soon as I sold my mics, my best friends were like plz plz plz record our band! So I had to throw something quick together.

My friend agreed to use the toms and kick from the E kit but wanted a real mic'd snare and cymbals. I had an SM57 and a couple dynamics, but I needed some overhead condensers and didnt want to spend alot of money.

I was surprised how decent they sounded for being cheap as dirt and for recording in a totally untreated and square bed room.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48100488/Other Stuff/Magick Drums.mp3

Can you guess what mics the overheads are? :D

not bad! OH's sound pretty decent! i can definitely hear the sound of the room fucking with your overall KIT sound a LOTTTT.

comb filtering and phasing, mostly on the SNR but a bit on the OH's... it will work though, i'm sure!

GJ bro!

not bad! OH's sound pretty decent! i can definitely hear the sound of the room fucking with your overall KIT sound a LOTTTT.

comb filtering and phasing, mostly on the SNR but a bit on the OH's... it will work though, i'm sure!

GJ bro!

Can you describe what you exactly hear when comb filtering and phasing is happening?

I'm not going to lie, the lack of comb filtering is pretty shocking to me, I don't hear it very much at all. Can you post just the overheads? I need to further listen. I'm guessing Sampson C02's.

Not bad at all for cheap mics. My preference for cheap overheads are the Behringer B5's, but admittedly I've only compared them to the MXL603s which I feel are a bit more hyped on the high end than the B5's.

I'm curious to know which mics you used though.

Yup! You guys got it! Samson C02's, buy one get one free for $60 on musiciansfriend. Lol i wasnt exp.ecting much for 60 dollars, but they are usable so I cant complain!

Just to clarify, the kick and toms were done on the roland pads with metal machine so the only thing the overheads were capturing was cymbals and a snare drum

Yup! You guys got it! Samson C02's, buy one get one free for $60 on musiciansfriend. Lol i wasnt exp.ecting much for 60 dollars, but they are usable so I cant complain!

Just to clarify, the kick and toms were done on the roland pads with metal machine so the only thing the overheads were capturing was cymbals and a snare drum

That must be a good drummer, to be honest I thought the hihats were fake as well.

Oh fuck! Im totally wrong! my mistake, they were NOT samson c02s. They were CAD CM217's. I apologize, I was super tired this morning when I replied haha.