Best budget overhead mics

the little MXL 993s are way decent.... seen them around a bunch in plenty of entry/mid level studios here in nashville as utility overheads/backups to the standard neumanns.

well i'm sure anything beats what I'm using now which are two CAD CM217 condensers that I bought for 50 bucks. I think I've decided to get the audix drum mic pack for 600 bucks. It comes with a d6,i5 and a pair of adx51 condensers. That added to mics I already have, I'll be able to mic a full kit. If I buy a pair of condensers only, then I still would have to buy a kick mic and another mic for snare/tom, which I can't afford right now. Down the line I'll get those oktavas. Thanks a lot guys. And if anyone here has experience with the adx51s then let me hear about it!

I own a pair of AT4041 and I must say they are quite thin sounding in the mid range... They are quite detailed though. If you're going to use them in a dense mix that might be a bonus, but if you're looking to capture more of the shell sounds you might want to look at something else. Personally, I prefer my pair of Rodes NT1-A's for OH use...