Best budget overhead mics

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
What do you guys think the best mics are for overheads under 500 bucks? What do you think of the rode nt5s? How about the Audix ADX51s? The advantage of the audix adx51s are I can get it in a kit that comes with an i5 and a d6 which are two mics that I really want for drums as well.

Do a search, there are many threads discussing overhead mics.

For ~$500, I'd recommend Shure SM81s (used) or Audio Technica ATM450s.

I have owned NT5s and don't recommend them over the above mics.

I really like the Shure ksm137.
I picked up a pair last year and have used them on two recordings so far. I have used Oktava mk012s, rode nt5s, and audix fusion condensors from the fusion drum mic kit to give you my frame of reference. I think they are pickier with placement than the Oktava's which are very nice but a touch dark for my tastes. Both are worth owning for the long haul and around 600 a pair if you keep an eye out.

the ksm137's were actually another pair I was looking at. It would be nice if I could buy from zzounds because they have the 4 payment method.

I got a pair of Samson CO2's from a friend for $90. It's really only the first pair I've owned. But I'm sure you want something a bitter higher-end.

Yeah a used pair of those Oktavas are usually VERY reasonable, add to that fact that they sound even better modified, and you can always do that later.

how about those audix adx51s? Anyone try them. Are they any good. It sure would be nice if they sounded good because then I could get that mic pack with the d6 and i5 which are two other mics I really would like to have.

ATM450s are unbeatable at the price.
Side address is handy too. Lets you go higher in a room with low ceiling.

ATM450s are unbeatable at the price.
Side address is handy too. Lets you go higher in a room with low ceiling.

Just my opinion but if you need to get your overheads higher to the point that side address makes a difference, it means that the mics are closer to the ceiling than the source which in my experience is a total no no no no and no.

Another vote for the Oktava's MK012. Mine are modified by Michael Joly and they never disappoint.

lol damn you guys. Pick the mic that I can't buy at zzounds! You guys were supposed to say "yeah those audix mics are awesome" or "the rode nt5 mics are great!". Anyone have experience with the shure ksm 137 mics? They are a little more expensive but if they are good then maybe I could get those. I wish zzounds carried those oktavas. Maybe down the line I can get them and then have two sets of condenser mics. Maybe one for overheads and the others for spot miking cymbals or something.