In Preproduction - Mic/heads reccomendations this kit?

Lowberg

Aug 26, 2004
Rochester, NY
We are currently in pre-production for my band's first full length album, and I'm starting to plan for drum tracking.

For this album I really want to try and stay away from any heavy sample replacement. I want my drummer's character's to shine through as much as possible. Think of this as an attempt at hybrid between the new and the old.

The kit we will be using is a 1987 Tama Artstar II. Canadian Maple shells, oversized everything, 24" kicks, 14x6.5" maple snare (not pictured), and very deep toms. Very thrash metal, very loud and full sounding kit! I've been wanting to record this one for years!

76392_10150117682232166_528902165_7647675_6176750_n.jpg

Right now my mic collection is pretty limited:
Shure SM57 x2
Shure SM7B
Audix i5
Audix D2 x 2
Audix D4
Audix D6
Audix ADX51 cardioid condensers x2
A Low-end Audio Technica 2020 condenser

I'm going to have to do some major mic shopping in the next few months, and need some recommendations on a mid level budget.
I have a budget of about $1,000 to add to this mic collection.

I am pretty happy with the audix mics but I'm not completed sold on the overhead ADX51s. For toms I'm considering either picking up another D2 and D4, or trying to sell the current ones I have and pick up a bunch of SM57s, Either way I want to try and keep the tom mics consistent.

I will also probably be getting a 2nd D6 for the kick.

I'm need some recommendations of ideas for snare bottom mics, room mics and how I should approach the overhead situation. We've got alot of cymbals going on, two rides two chinas on opposite sides.

Also throw out some ideas for heads, as all the heads, top and bottom will be getting replaced!

Looking forward to hearing your input!

Nice set sir! For drum heads, I'd go clear emperor on top, clear ambassador on bottom. Let them fuckers resonate! As for mics, I'll let someone else chime in.. But, nothing wrong with throwing 57's on all the toms...

Another D2 and D4 to cover toms and a D6 for the second kick will have your kit covered. As for the overheads...

SM7b for hat is a no brainer. I'd relinquish the Audix SDC's to ride spot mics, use the AT2020 on the least use china, grab an AT3035 or 4040 (depending on budget) for the other china, and then another pair of SDC's to cover the crashes. That'll give you the best separation and most control out of the kit, IMO. Look into the Rode NT5's or Oktava MK012's for overhead SDC's.

On the right side, you've got two crashes - what's the left side look like? If it's the same setup just mirrored, and you can use an SDC per crash pair and then spot-mic the china/ride sets, that's ideal. If there are more crashes than that (hidden behind the right-hand china, maybe?), you might be better off using 4 SDC's to cover the full overhead spectrum and not spotmic the chinas.

For heads, hard to beat clear Emperors on toms and a Controlled Sound on snare with Ambassadors on the bottom. Powerstroke III is also a favorite for kick beater!