Overheads very high frequencies

Phil_ocean

Feb 3, 2016
Hello guys, Im facing a problem with Overheads in a mix. Some really nasty frequencies are dominating, specifically the ones at around 10-12k and at 7-9k. Static EQ killed the overheads so I tried some C4 at the 6-12k area but although it did some work the really annoying frequencies of 10-12k are there. I tried static EQ this area at the mix bus but then the other nasty frequencies (7-9k) appeared.... Have I started entering the madness part of audio?

I've only ever worked with EZDrummer, but I get the same problem with their overheads all the time. My go-to is TDR Nova, a dynamic EQ (similar to multiband comp) - I set it up with two or three narrow bands ducking at the gross frequency ranges. It's really, really transparent.

Yea, i was thinking too that Dynamic EQ might be the solution. I am concerned though, about the fact that a big frequency range (7-12k) is horribly loud and ear scratching. I mean i think i will need to do many bands in the dynamic EQ since i dont know if a wide one would kill (even slighter than the static EQ) the overheads once again. Thanx for the response though, I will definitely try it.

Yes, upload a clip so we can help. I'd start by surgical EQ cuts and saturation to smooth the high frequencies. Also there's no problem with low-passing the OH, then you can add brightness with saturation, EQ, compressor... If the tracks are really bad, so consider having the OH pretty low in the mix.

I low passed them at 8k through an ssl channel strip but then then the rest of the bad frequencies were popping out. I will try dynamic EQ and if it doesnt help, I will post them here. Thanx for the info guys

"Yes, upload a clip so we can help. I'd start by surgical EQ cuts and saturation to smooth the high frequencies. Also there's no problem with low-passing the OH, then you can add brightness with saturation, EQ, compressor... If the tracks are really bad, so consider having the OH pretty low in the mix."

this. all day.

Have you tried a de-esser plug on that? Set it heavy before the comp and then add a little presence eq back in after the comp. Can work wonders.

When you start hearing nasty stuff in the overheads and try to fix it , another one magically appears haha. What waav studios said about the volume is true. Is really common to have the overheads louder than needed. A clip would be good to see if you are not into the madness part of audio.

Hey guys, thank you so much for your input. I actually tried all the methods you mentioned above but it seems that getting the overheads lower volumewise helped eventually. I used De-essers (like 3) and dynamic EQ but the way I used them killed the overheads so i decided to just go plain and simple and only compress the very high frequencies with C4 (after the usual chain I do on overheads). Anyway, here is the clip.
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/pb6pekhiokfqe5s/TFOG - SpeedFreak 9.mp3?dl=0

Oh OK I know that track ahah.
It also took me some time to get the OH right, track was a bit on the thin and harsh side.

In my version, some smooth lo pass (Waves SSL Channel, around 12k) and 2-3 tight notches on harsh/ringing frequencies in the hi mids region helped a lot.
I also had a touch of room IR going on to help thicken things, and some smooth saturation (Klanghelm SDRR) to smooth it even more.

Here is my mix : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/t8i5h3in1n2x5ix/THE FALL OF GHOSTFACE_SpeedFreak_EricD.mp3

EDIT : in that example, the relation with room mics was also very important, as these mics were also harsh in the mids. Some wide 3K scoop and heavy lo pass on the rooms helped a lot too.

Yeap , the OH gave me a really hard time too :) As you said they needed EQ on high mids too. Thanks for your feedback Pxz, well probably its my tired ears cause i think they are still a little harsh on the choruses

Less is more with overheads. Gently sculpt them, don't murder them with EQ or multiband compression, etc.