Harsh attack on drums

Just added a clip to the original post ;) ....it's short but it's where the harshness is worst in the song.

dude, nothing wrong with those in my opinion. I think I know what you're referring to and honestly, just try a small, medium Q cut at around 3k and just sweep it back and forth a small amount to see where it sounds best but also where its not affecting the balance of your other elements. I wouldn't cut any further than 3db to start with

personally, I kinda dig the way they sound. they have some teeth

dude, nothing wrong with those in my opinion. I think I know what you're referring to and honestly, just try a small, medium Q cut at around 3k and just sweep it back and forth a small amount to see where it sounds best but also where its not affecting the balance of your other elements. I wouldn't cut any further than 3db to start with

personally, I kinda dig the way they sound. they have some teeth

Thanks man, I'm surprised that you dig the sound. Are you talking about doing the cut on the whole drum bus, or on the individual tracks?

if you're clipping the snare/toms tracks with a plugin like TRacks clipper, just don't push the tracks to the limit.
BTW your drums don't sound that bad. I'm not a fan of ringy snares, but this is a matter of preference.

I'm clipping the tracks with just a bit of Gclip, I will back it off a bit to see if it helps.

Yeah, I can see how some people might not like the ringy snare sound but I personally like it.

The advice from Skinny Viking worked wonders. Did a cut around 3k on the shells an it made the whole thing much smoother. Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Transient control is one of the more annoying things about mixing drums. The 3kHz cut was a good idea. If you want to 'glue' the drums into the mix any more you might want to try some light saturation on the drum bus. VCC is quite good for this. Alternatively you can try some light parallel compression in order to bring the body of the drums back up underneath the transients. Beyond that, analogue compressors have a habit of controlling transients in a way that's inherently less 'pokey' than their ITB counterparts.

Transient control is one of the more annoying things about mixing drums. The 3kHz cut was a good idea. If you want to 'glue' the drums into the mix any more you might want to try some light saturation on the drum bus. VCC is quite good for this. Alternatively you can try some light parallel compression in order to bring the body of the drums back up underneath the transients. Beyond that, analogue compressors have a habit of controlling transients in a way that's inherently less 'pokey' than their ITB counterparts.

I've been using Decaptator for saturation, but I've heard a lot of good things about VCC and VTM, I'm curious about them, might give it a shot.

Here's a thing I sometimes do:

When I clip the drums (particularly the snare) to round off the transient a bit, sometimes I find that it gets a little lost in the quad-tracked guitars. If this is the case, I'll sidechain a compressor on two of the four guitar tracks to duck them by 3-6 dB every time the snare hits. If you set your release time right, it's TOTALLY unnoticeable, except that now the snare just seems to pop out a bit more.

The idea is to let the snare drum have more of the mix for just a split second, then before the listener can even hear that the guitars have been lowered, they're back up.

I've been using Decaptator for saturation, but I've heard a lot of good things about VCC and VTM, I'm curious about them, might give it a shot.

Decapitator is good, but it makes the low-end a little too 'explosive' for me. I prefer keeping it tighter, which VCC generally does. It's subtle density, width and transient control. You just dial the drive up until the drums are sitting how you want.

The advice from Skinny Viking worked wonders. Did a cut around 3k on the shells an it made the whole thing much smoother. Thanks a lot for the help guys!

sloth.jpg