overheads

daemon097

Nov 12, 2003
southern california
Visit site
I could have sworn there was a way to search this messageboard..

Anyways, I am currently using two Audix ADX-50's for overheads..and it sounds great...but, I have them...hmm...maybe 18 in. or so above each set of cymbols (one on the left side, and one on the right.) They are both pointing straight down over most of the cymbols.

And the problem is.....I am getting WAY TOO MUCH HI HAT in the overheads...and because of that, it almost sounds like the hi-hat is coming out of the center of the stereo space instead of off to one side.

any suggestions? were the mics maybe too far? Although, I figured the closer they are, the longer it would take for them to dissipate ..and I'm looking more for that splash sort of cymbol sound instead of them being there for too long.

I was thinking of using one of those auralex mic pads (they do work really well on the snare and toms..) for each mic..but eh..I dunno...

any suggestions...and if somebody could tell me where the search button is for this messageboard, I'd definitely appreciate it! :headbang: :headbang:

How are you proposing the auralex pads would help?

Anyways, moving em closer will help take away some hihat and it won't affect how long it takes for the sound to dissipate much, just put the mics closer and lower the volume in the mix...
You can also try miking from underneath the cymbals, that way they point away from the hihat, try the normal way first though.
Are you using a separate mic for the hihat?

well, the pads would help in that they may make the overheads more directional....just shooting in the dark here..

...I do mic the ride from underneath, and that works out great. However, I'm noticing the overheads seems to pick up A LOT of the ride anyways... I've never heard of somebody micing all their cymbols from underneath though...and interesting thought. (instead of overheads, underheads?)

I will try moving the mics closer and see what happens..thanks for the suggestion!

The reason the auralex pads work for separation of the snare is that it blocks the sound from the hihat so to speak, you can't block the sound from the hihat from getting picked up by the OH's with an auralex pad, if you use cardiod mics and mic from underneath then you might be able to do it but i wouldn't put an auralex pad on the OH mics...

There's two options here imho.
Use these mics as overheads, (trying to get a nice balanced stereo image with not much snare into it... See the James' technique) but you'll have Hi-hat in your overheads. You just can't avoid it. Or...
Mic your cymbals separately but this is no longer overheads anymore and you'll need as much mics as cymbal pieces.

Andy Sneap said:
there use to be a search function I'm sure! Where's that gone then?

It disappeared a couple of months ago, for a while you could access it by logging out, but that no longer works either. Seems like the work of some fucking communists, damn them all to hell!

yea..i'm not really interested in having the hihat in the overheads...

I was a little hesitant to use a closer micing technique on the overheads because I noticed that's what they were doing on Daniel's drums for the new In Flames album..and since I really dislike the cymbols in the last couple In Flames albums, I figured that would be something I'd want to stay away from.

I guess I mostly am looking for creating a stereo image with the cymbols. I suppose I could stick another mic in there for a real "overhead' although....just more money on mics.. :-/

On another note - I did try those audix mics on my toms/snare (d1, d2, & d4) and they sound awesome! I used to use SM57's, and the audix mics just sound a lot warmer...

Or use this:
170677.jpg

A chinese made hi hat trigger.... :D
This one is quiet cheap here in europe...