Ozric Tentacles at the Masquerade (ATL for $8

Pellaz

Tigron of Immanion
Feb 12, 2002
Atlanta, GA
www.paulcashman.com
I was kinda floored when I saw this date announced.

Ozrics are one of my favorite bands. They are not metal, but they are excellent. Mike Portnoy, Devin Townsend, Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth), Christofer Johnsson (Therion), Marcel Coenen and Gregoor Van der Loo (Lemur Voice) and other metal muzos consider themselves fans.

From the Masquerade's website:

"Ozric Tentacles (commonly known as the Ozrics) is an instrumental band from Somerset, England, whose music can loosely be described as psychedelic or space rock. Formed in 1984, the band has released 30 albums as of 2009, and become a DIY cottage industry selling over a million albums worldwide despite never having major label backing. The Ozrics also use a wide range of instruments in their performances. Electric and acoustic guitars, flutes, recorders, xylophones and even sounds of digitally tweaked human voices appear throughout."

I'm assuming the low ticket price and odd choice of venue (downstairs in Hell?!) means they won't be bringing their amazing liquid light show, but....an Ozrics show is an Ozrics show. Should be sweet.

It's the Thursday right as Dragon*Con starts, so I'm planning on skipping out for a bit and letting my staff handle things back at the convention. :)

If you don't go to see the Ozric's for 8 bucks you are insane!!! As a huge Hawkwind fan, I've had the pleasure to see Ozric Tentacles several times. Awesome......

Any more dates announced? Their web site says nothing about Atlanta.

If you don't go to see the Ozric's for 8 bucks you are insane!!! As a huge Hawkwind fan, I've had the pleasure to see Ozric Tentacles several times. Awesome......

Any more dates announced? Their web site says nothing about Atlanta.

Yeah, it's weird, the first I'd heard of the show was about a week and a half ago....not much advance warning, only about a month or less! And I saw it listed in a Ticketmaster email with a "buy tickets now" link, and at the time the Masquerade's website didn't show the date at all, so I was really wondering about it.

I'm wondering why the show is slated for "Hell," the smaller downstairs venue at the Masquerade, instead of upstairs, especially on a Thursday night: Thursday late-night is when they have their big weekly goth/80s dance party, and it's held downstairs.

But for $8, who cares? I've driven to Charlotte NC to see them before. :heh:

They are a totally amazing band and Gregoor Van Der Loo's fav band!!

Yep! When I attended ProgPower in 1999 (back then, there was only the one, in Holland) I brought some Ozrics bootlegs* with me for Gregoor. I'll never forget his excitement and happiness when I gave him the CD-Rs, and his face lit up whenever he saw me for the rest of the festival. :)

Come to think of it, I got the same reaction when I gave Mikael Akerfeldt some rare Ozrics material when Opeth was opening here for Nevermore.... He thanked me profusely and immediately marched over to the tour-bus they were sharing with the headliner. I found out later from a friend who was on the bus that he walked onboard, evicted whatever it was Nevermore was playing on the bus' disc-player, and put an Ozrics CD in. "We'll be listening to THIS, now!" :lol:

Peter Lindgren was also a big fan.....well, still is, probably, but he's no longer in Opeth.

-=-=-=-
* the band likes and encourages audio taping