Ozric Tentacles

benny

Artifact Of Chaos
May 4, 2001
Seattle
www.myspace.com
Alright so I was talking to this guy (a dj for a radio station) and he was telling me his story about meeting Mikael. Not only was this guy one really cool person his story is one of the best things I have heard. He told me about a band that Mikael likes. He played me quite a few songs by them and I really like them. I thought I would share this band with all of you incase you haven't heard of them. Ozric Tentacles is their name http://www.ozrics.com I encourage you all to give them a try.

I have never heard anything like it bro, They have so many albums and I have only heard a few songs. The songs I heard are basically just Keyboards, Bass, Drums, Guitar, Flute. No vocals, I think it is pretty safe to say I have heard nothing like these guys. If I smoked pot I would probably listen to this while high. It is progressive thats about all I really know, and I like it.

The official site has a feature where you can listen to two of their albums in their entirety with accompanying flash animation...correction, it is excerpts of every song on Waterfall Cities and The Hidden Step. But it is still a welcome alternative to the run-of-the-mill mp3 sample. Highly recommended to fans of instrumental progressive rock, especially if you don't mind electronics.

I played Mikeal his first Ozrics stuff, when he first came to England for that show with Impaled Nazerene and Veds Bell Ende. The album was "Pungent Effelgent" (sp?), and is about the only psychedelia style stuff I can actually handle. They're good live too.

Though I havn't heard Ozric Tentacles I can tell that possibly this band called Gryphon sounds like them.... Gryphon is all keyboards, drums, bass, guitar, and other wind and orchestral instruments. It's like folky progressive rock, check em out. I can tell you that their album Check mate is amazing! It is a four song record each about 10 minutes, I can recommend any of these songs for you all to check out:
1. Opening Move
2. Second Spasm
3. Lament
4. Checkmate

Wow, those electronics... has any of you heard of the pretty new program BuzzTracker, made by a dude (a Finn) that goes by the name "Jeskola" (J. Eskola)?

Anyway, those electronics sound exactly like having been made with that proggy. It's really amazing what you can do with a tiny bit of code.

The music is good!