Ozzfest - anyone going?

Hey, I was meaning to ask you ND guys about your drummer.
Is your drummer on disc (Joe), the same guy you had with you at the Wheaton show?
It didn't look like the same guy. I know your bass player is now full time in Disinter. Maybe it is the same drummer, but just looked different in person for some reason.

2 days until Ozzfest. Apparently Ozzy is back on his feet and doing shows again. I will be sure to post a review.

Yes our drummer at the show was Joe of course. He's been the only person to play the drums for us since summer of 1999. He does however have a spiffy haircut now so perhaps that's why he looked different. Our "new" bassist Brian joined up with us just after we finished the recording of TPHD, replacing Mike who, as you said, plays still with his band Disinter.

Ugh, the Ozzfest tour just doesn't do anything for me (aside from Sabbath, obviously). I will be, however, catching the Gigantour at the end of the month. Megadeth, Fear Factory, Nevermore, Dream Theater, and LOA...good stuff.

Yeah, if Maiden was not at Ozzfest, then neither would I.
Though there are enough other bands that I want to see that I would not normally go see (IE - all the Swedish bands). And Sabbath of course too (assuming Ozzy is healthy).

I debated Gigantour, though I have seen all the bands there that I like.
Check out Symphony X. They are amazing!

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
Yes our drummer at the show was Joe of course. He's been the only person to play the drums for us since summer of 1999. He does however have a spiffy haircut now so perhaps that's why he looked different. Our "new" bassist Brian joined up with us just after we finished the recording of TPHD, replacing Mike who, as you said, plays still with his band Disinter.

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

Ok, I am back (and sunburnt) from Ozzfest.
For those who have been, you know it is a long and tiring day.
We decided to get there early, since the Haunted were playing at 9:45AM.
They were great, but I was still a bit groggy being so early.
I won't go into detail on all the bands, since the majority would not be of interest to most. The crowd loved Soilwork, though I personally didn;t think they played that well and their song selection was poor.
Arch Enemy ruled the second stage. They are so damn talented. The only bad part was that they only played 4 songs. I think Ozzfest will open new doors for them. Should be interesting to watch.
Mastodon were a dissapointment. Everyone has been raving about how they are "The band to watch" Just another band that can't seem to lock down a sound so they do a bit of everything.

Now more importantly, the main stage. In Flames kicked off the main stage. The pavillion was extremely empty since most people were still milling around the 2nd stage and all the merch and food booths. They played well. Typical performance from them . As expected, they only played newer material.
Black Label Society was next. I could only stomach 2 songs. I don't get off on 10 minute Zakk Wylde guitar solos.
I left and came back in the middle of Shadow's Fall. This band surprised me. I always wrote them off as another forgettable metal-core band. They are a lot more talented than that. Not really something I would listen to regularly, but still a good performance.
Next was Mudvayne. Complete garbage to me. It seems like they would have been better fitting on Ozzfests of the past. Seemed to gimmicky now.

Finally, it was time for Maiden. Absolutely amazing. They opened with Murders in the Rue Morgue and then went right into the Trooper! Bruce was a maniac flying all over the stage. They also played Revelations, Phantom of the Opera, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills, Iron Maiden, Running Free, Sanctuary. I might be missing one or two. I guess the only complaint was that I was expecting older material that they usually don't play live. The majority of the setlist is what they usually do in their own shows already. No regrets though. Still a great time.

Next was Sabbath. I was not expecting much as Ozzy has been quite ill the whole summer. Wow!!!! I was blown away. Ozzy was in top form . He did not miss one lyric. He too was going crazy on stage the whole time. Doing his signature frog jumps and hand clapping. They played NIB, War Pigs, Dirty Women, Electric Funeral, Paranoid, Iron Man, Black Sabbath, Faries Wear Boots, Children of the Grave. I may be missing one or two there also. This was an added bonus and a great way to end the day. I was seriously expecting to just stay for about half the set, since I thought it would be awful and would be best to just beat the crowd. I, nor did anyone else, go anywhere.
Maybe Sharon had him drugged or something. Whatever, it was, it worked!!!

Very interesting experience. As expected, prices on everything was ridiculous. T shirts were $35! I was VERY impressed with how well organized everything was. The 2nd stage was actually about 10 minutes ahead of schedule all day.

I had a great time. I don't think I would ever go to another one unless they really had a band the caliber of a Maiden, or if they started getting even more underground bands. Too expensive and exhausting of a day to just go check out for the heck of it.

I hear ya about the sunburn! I got totally fried. I think I got sun stroke or something... I spent about an hour learning against a wall unable to move. Luckily it was during Mudvayne! :)

After three $4 waters (ug!), I came back around and enjoyed the hell out of Maiden and Sabbath. Maiden played the best set I have probably ever heard them play. Then again I am partial to the older stuff!

Despite the sun, we had a great time, but I agree it is a VERY tiring day. If the lineups continue as they have been the last 2 year, I'll continue to go, but next time I think I'll bring a hat and some sunscreen! I am still not totally recovered, hopefully I will be better by this Friday (Gigantour!!!), oh boy, what a week...

Danimal said:
I hear ya about the sunburn! I got totally fried. I think I got sun stroke or something... I spent about an hour learning against a wall unable to move. Luckily it was during Mudvayne! :)

After three $4 waters (ug!), I came back around and enjoyed the hell out of Maiden and Sabbath. Maiden played the best set I have probably ever heard them play. Then again I am partial to the older stuff!

Despite the sun, we had a great time, but I agree it is a VERY tiring day. If the lineups continue as they have been the last 2 year, I'll continue to go, but next time I think I'll bring a hat and some sunscreen! I am still not totally recovered, hopefully I will be better by this Friday (Gigantour!!!), oh boy, what a week...

Glad to hear you're feeling better now. When I saw you on the side during Mudvayne, you looked like hell. :ill: You did look like you were having a stroke, and it was nice to see that your bandmates were no where to be found during your whole ordeal...hehe...at least not that I saw. ;)

Looking forward to our show together with you guys & ND...should be a blast!!! :headbang:

I wanna hear some more of the new album after James is done with it...will you have it with you at the show. I'll bring some of our stuff too for you to check out.

Oh yeah...Chris & I will be at Gigantour at the Tweeter Center as well...and be sure to get there EARLY...just read that Nevermore has been going on at 3:00 in some cities...don't wanna miss them, right?

Later bro!
Rob

More importantly than Nevermore, make sure you get there early for Symphony X!!!!
I wish I could go, but after Ozzfest, I am gonna take a pass.

I will be at HammerFall on Sunday Aug 21 at HOB. Anyone going?