Ozzfest

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
This was my first Ozzfest. Didn't get there till noon. The parking at the Camden Tweeter Center was a nightmare, but that's another story. From the time you walk in, you feel like you're in some bizarre shopping mall. Silver jewelry, t-shirts, temporary tattoos, games, food, alchohol, etc. The people are an eclectic group, to say the least. Everything from Manson looking kids, to guys in their mid-40s, to chicks in skimpy clothes. Even a couple of girls running around with their boobs painted :)kickass:).

I was hoping to get there in time for Soilwork, but didn't. Arch Enemy cancelled (tour bus issues).

After settling into the VIP section, and downing the first of many Jack & Cokes, we did the VIP tour. Mostly, it was B.S., but we did get to go stand on the main stage. That was actually quite cool. Dark One and I walked over to the 2nd Stage, and caught a bit of Mastadon. Very, very tight live. I wish I had caught all of their set. We then hooked up with JK, and then headed back to the 2nd Stage for KSE and Zombie. The best part of the VIP deal was the covered 2nd Stage viewing area, behind the mixing board. Had it not been for that (and the shade in the VIP bar section) I'd look like a lobster today, as it was hot as hades. We must have each sweated a gallon or so. Hot and fucking humid all day!

KSE was good, though the heat was oppressive and effected a lot of the 2nd Stage band's energy level. Zombie was solid, but the heat slowed him down considerably. By the time we were able to push past the swarm of bodies exiting the 2nd Stage area, we opted to skip In Flames and just grab a drink and a piss. We had seen In Flames set list when were up on the main stage earlier, and it consisted of "Pinball Map" and four Nu songs. No great loss there.

After getting refreshed, we headed into the pit in front of the 1st Stage, and caught BLS' set. Solid. Sound wasn't great, and I can do without all of Zack's noodling between songs. Headed back to the VIP bar, grabbed some grub from the buffet, a few more drinks and BSed a bit. Headed back to the pit in time for Maiden. They sounded great as always. Bruce is a ball of energy live, and last night was no exception. Not being a fan of the 1st two discs, their set wasn't all that in my eyes, but JK and Dark One will surely disagree.

We then caught the first half of Sabbath. Better than I had anticipated. Ozzy was surprisingly energetic, though his voice is shot. When he moves, runs or claps, he looks like he just escaped the "little bus". That being said, he's Ozzy, so it was good fun and he's quite entertaining. At the half way point, JK and I bailed. It was the difference between being on the highway in 5 minutes, as opposed to 2 hours.

All in all, a good day. I'd go again, but only if I had the VIP pass. There's just too many bands at this show that don't interest me. You need somewhere where you can escape the madness and chill.

Many props to Dark one for hooking us up with the VIP passes and pit sets.:worship:

Zod

Nice review Zod. Thanks for posting so quickly and I'm glad you had a good time. If there is a next time, parking hopefully won't be nearly the issue it was for you yesterday.

It was indeed a LOT of fun, but damn was that heat oppressive. The air was ridiculously thick with humidity. I prefer Campbell's soup to Camden soup anyday. WHERE WAS THAT RAIN???? :tickled:

Anyway, it is truly the type of festival that can be appreciated so much more by having a special place to gather, talk, relax and also enjoy the show in shade. It would've been very, very tough to endure close to 12 hours of that lineup without the perks. It is DEFINITELY a much, much different story at many of the big Euro festivals where there is almost always a band that you are interested in playing a set somewhere.

Oh yeah, and Maiden kicked ass - but they did experience a lull in their set following Hallowed Be Thy Name. I fully agree with you that something like Run to the Hills or another big power song would've closed out the set on a much better note than Running Free and Sanctuary (even though I love those songs, just not at the end of the set). By itself though, Phantom of the Opera was an amazing live experience and one that I'll never forget.

Dark One said:
Oh yeah, and Maiden kicked ass - but they did experience a lull in their set following Hallowed Be Thy Name. I fully agree with you that something like Run to the Hills or another big power song would've closed out the set on a much better note than Running Free and Sanctuary (even though I love those songs, just not at the end of the set). By itself though, Phantom of the Opera was an amazing live experience and one that I'll never forget.
I think that sort of setlist, would be better for a Maiden tour. Perhaps a limited number of dates, in a more intimate setting. That way, it's just Maiden fans, and they're getting what they paid for. Not that I think Maiden should cater to the Ozzfest crowd, but it would have been nice if they used their full arsenal, rather than leaving some of their heaviest artillery back home.

Zod

nice review, and I can imagine the opressive heat out there. was out 10 minutes yesterday and ran back into the house.
so I am trying to picture your early metal tastes Zod, since you are an old fart like us. :loco: Early Maiden and Sabbath is not something you like and neither is Slayer ... was it that you got into metal later than your teens?

General Zod said:
it would have been nice if they used their full arsenal, rather than leaving some of their heaviest artillery back home.

Agreed. A festival setting is where you bring your big guns. Leave the special sets for the special tours. Though I suppose with a legendary, timeless band like Maiden, they could play "Endless Love" and the crowd would still eat it up, Ozzfest or not. :loco:

lurch70 said:
so I am trying to picture your early metal tastes Zod, since you are an old fart like us. :loco: Early Maiden and Sabbath is not something you like and neither is Slayer ... was it that you got into metal later than your teens?
Dark One is 100% right. "Shout at the Devil" made me a Metal fan, and a fan of music is general. My first Maiden disc was "Number" and I never went backwards in their catalog. Sabbath and Ozzy had already split, and I was into Ozzy, but never really went back and checked out the old Sabbath stuff. If I had to name my Top 10 artists from the 80s, it would look like this (in order):

Motley Crue
Queensryche
Tesla
Mettalica
Ratt
Dio
Van Hallen (Roth era)/David Lee Roth (solo, at least the 1st 2 CDs)
Maiden
Bon Jovi (hey, I was from Jersey, it was manatory!)
Dokken

The heaviest stuff I listened to back then was Metallica, Megadeth, Manowar, Anthrax, Overkill, Sacred Reich, Priest, etc. But overall, I would say that 70% of my collection was Hair Metal.

I sort of drifted away from Metal, and to a certain extant, music in general until 1999. Then, in March of 2000, I bought "The Fragile Art of Existence" and "Dreaming Neon Black". Since then, I've purchased about 500 CDs.

What about you. What did you listen to back in the day?

Zod

What about you. What did you listen to back in the day?

oddly enough, I was into most of the stuff you were into, the LA Hair Metal Scene + Death Metal.
I was really a walking contradiciton ... 50/50 ... I was into Dokken and Kix as much as I was into Slayer, Death and Morbid Angel ... and I was a rapid fan of both camps.

and like you in about 99-00 started getting back into metal after having abandoned it for about 7 years altogether.

OzzFest (the event) was excellent, and yep, the VIP passes made ALL the difference. I went for Maiden. Shame there wasn't even one other band that I REALLY wanted to see. Had Megadeth joined this lineup, I would haver been all set.

lurch70 said:
oddly enough, I was into most of the stuff you were into, the LA Hair Metal Scene + Death Metal.
I was really a walking contradiciton ... 50/50 ... I was into Dokken and Kix as much as I was into Slayer, Death and Morbid Angel ... and I was a rapid fan of both camps.

That was quite normal though. There wasn't all this genre nazi crap going on back then like there is today. Plus everyone went for the live experience - I can't imagine how incredible it must have been to see Motley Crue on the Sunset Strip back in '86, and then going over to see Exodus over in the Bay Area.

Erik said:
So five nu songs :D
LOL. I know "Clayman" takes a lot of shit, but I like it. Probably because it was my first In Flames CD (not sure if I bought "Colony" before or after), and probably one of the first CDs that used harsh vocals. But I do still listen to it now and then.

Zod

lurch70 said:
Truth be told, I thought I was listening to the heaviest shit out there. The first time I heard "Ride the Lightning", I couldn't even fathom that something could be heavier. I thought in terms of heaviness/speed, there was Metallica and Slayer, and that was it.

lurch70 said:
I felt like that as well.

lurch70 said:
and like you in about 99-00 started getting back into metal after having abandoned it for about 7 years altogether.
That's funny.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
That was quite normal though. There wasn't all this genre nazi crap going on back then like there is today.
That is the strangest thing about our little scene. I think we talked about this a bit yesterday, while KSE was playing. There are certain bands, that if you like "real Metal", you're not supposed to enjoy. While I think there's good reason to paint a lot of the Core bands with a broad brush, I also think there are some bands, who either rightly or wrongly, get lumped into that genre that write some really kick-ass songs. To me, it's simple; if it makes me want to crank my stereo and bang my head, it's good. I don't care what section of the CD store it came from.

Zod

General Zod said:
LOL. I know "Clayman" takes a lot of shit, but I like it. Probably because it was my first In Flames CD (not sure if I bought "Colony" before or after), and probably one of the first CDs that used harsh vocals. But I do still listen to it now and then.

Zod
Well, I don't like Clayman, but even if one does, they have a tendency to "nu up" older tracks live. I almost cried when I heard "Moonshield" at Wacken 2003. All the acoustics gone, and well, the song just doesn't do well as a downtuned jumpdafukup number.

this whole "filtration" of fans started really with death metal and thrash ... there was a lot of "posturing" in that scene in the early days and the general making fun of the hair metal scene ... i guess it progressed from there.

but then again punks were pretty unforgiving in the 70's also.

To me, it's simple; if it makes me want to crank my stereo and bang my head, it's good. I don't care what section of the CD store it came from.

that's my philosophy as well ... time to make a cd mix for the car ... some blood red throne and motley should mix good for a summer day :kickass:

lurch70 said:
that's my philosophy as well ... time to make a cd mix for the car ... some blood red throne and motley should mix good for a summer day :kickass:
LOL. Sounds good to me. The only debate is, who's harder to understand; the vocalist from BRT or Vince on the song "Shout at the Devil"? There's a section, towards the end of the 2nd verse, that is impossible to understand. That said, it sounds cool as shit.

Zod