Ozzy Osbourne & Randy Rhoads

JayKeeley said:
I dunno, I like seeing Wylde live (because he plays the non-Wylde material really well - ever heard his solos of "Shot in the Dark" and "War Pigs" on the Just Say Ozzy EP?? WOW, just mindblowing, no shit)

EdenKriss said:
Randy didnt play on the just say ozzy ep, brad gillis did.

Wow, talk about getting it wrong in every possible way.

First of all, I said Zakk Wylde played on Just Say Ozzy, not Randy, and second of all, Brad Gillis did not play on that live EP, it was indeed Zakk Wylde.

btw. arent we forgetting jake e. lee? imo hes the best guitarist ozzy ever had, apart from randy - anyone agree with me?

Yes, well I will agree to that. :)

The live video to the Bark at the Moon tour has some good footage of JayKeeley doing his 10 minute solo, especially the riffs he plays whilst barring the fretboard....with his thumb. :kickass:

JayKeeley said:
Wow, talk about getting it wrong in every possible way.

First of all, I said Zakk Wylde played on Just Say Ozzy, not Randy, and second of all, Brad Gillis did not play on that live EP, it was indeed Zakk Wylde.

oh fuck, ive mistaken the just say ozzy ep with speak of the devil. and i did mean zakk wylde, but somehow i managed to write randy. this is the last time ill post anything here while being slightly drunk/tired.

im not normally this stupid you know?
loco.gif

JayKeeley said:
Yes, well I will agree to that. :)

and holy fuck, ive never considered this thing with your name. i retract my last statement...

EdenKriss said:
oh fuck, ive mistaken the just say ozzy ep with speak of the devil. and i did mean zakk wylde, but somehow i managed to write randy. this is the last time ill post anything here while being slightly drunk/tired.

That was pretty warped, I must admit. :tickled:

and holy fuck, ive never considered this thing with your name. i retract my last statement...

:lol:

Yes, the man is what you would call a 'hero' to me (or at least, in reference to his Ozzy material anyway).

If I was to compare what each of Ozzy's guitar players did, while with Ozzy, than Randy was my favorite. However, if I took their careers as a whole (granted, Randy's was cut short), than I prefer both Zakk and Jake to Randy. Personally, I find Ozzy's voice just short of annoying. His are among the cassettes that I owned back in the day, that I never bothered to replace with CDs. Truth be told, I prefer the discographies of both Badlands and BLS to Ozzy's. All that being said, I'd love to hear what Randy would be doing right now.

Zod

Badlands is bluesrock - he got trapped in the pentatonic majors unfortunately. Great blues material, but not a scratch on the stuff he was playing with Ozzy. Put it this way, the only time you'll hear him play solos like those on "Bark at the Moon", "Killer of Giants", "You're no Different" etc is with Ozzy or on Ozzy tributes.

JayKeeley said:
Badlands is bluesrock - he got trapped in the pentatonic majors unfortunately. Great blues material, but not a scratch on the stuff he was playing with Ozzy.
I guess that depends how you define "great material". If it's defined by how difficult is for a guitar player to write, than I imagine you're right. If it's defined by how often I want to hear it and how much it moves me, I'll take Badlands. Also keep in mind, when I compare any two bands, I'm comparing more than their guitar players. Ray Gillan sent shivers down my spine, while Ozzy is more likely to send fingernails down a chalkboard.

Zod

Between all his efforts from '70 and '90, I've never had a problem with Ozzy's vocals, so...

General Zod said:
Also keep in mind, when I compare any two bands, I'm comparing more than their guitar players.

That's the exact thing about Ozzy though - the only constants are him and his vocals, but the variants are the guitar players. For this one singer to work with Tony Iommi, Randy Rhoads, Jake E Lee, and Zakk Wylde consecutively (give or take a Brad Gillis), it's ALL about the guitar work.

So of course, if you don't like the constant in the equation, it makes sense you're not going to like Sabbath/Ozzy music all that much.

JayKeeley said:
So of course, if you don't like the constant in the equation, it makes sense you're not going to like Sabbath/Ozzy music all that much.
Don't get me wrong, I like some of what he did. I've owned all of his solo releases, up to and including "No Rest". And while I use to like his voice, at least somewhat, I now don't care for it (even on his early stuff).

Zod