Ozzy Osbourne

ThrashKing

New Metal Member
Dec 14, 2006
A heavy metal living legend. Need I say more? Before he made it big he was just a normal joe with bipolar disease humping a shitty job. He got kicked out of Black Sabbath, but came back solo stronger than ever. He's battled depression, alcohol and drug abuse problems but came out of the smoke victorious. His music and his life story is an inspiriation to me.

just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Leotis
Well, his wife, and his utter burnout on drugs of all flavors.

Ozzy was an icon in the genre, but has become a caricature of himself.

Steve in Philly

He was respectable, now he's sunk to the level of recording remixes of 'Iron Man' with Busta Rhymes (Haven't heard it, so don't ask).

Still, pretty overrated as a vocalist. I always felt Dio owned him in Sabbath.

Reactions: Wyvern
I still love Ozzy (I don't talk about him much because he really hasn't done anything relevant in 15 years). I am sorry to see him become a parody of himself, and I'm even more sorry at the way Sharon has chosen to run his career after she got a taste of the spotlight. But, shit happens, and you can't blame humans for being greedy and going after the almighty American dollar.

I will say this. Ozzy is still relevent in my hallowed halls. Old Sabbath gets played often, Diary and Blizzard are in regular rotation, and lately I've been playing the hell out of No Rest for the Wicked and No More Tears.

He was respectable, now he's sunk to the level of recording remixes of 'Iron Man' with Busta Rhymes (Haven't heard it, so don't ask).

You don't! I have it on a tribute album and it :puke:

Ozzy was a capable frontman and singer for classic BS, he made good stuff with Randy, and some good songs here and there with Jake and the Zakk.

Nowdays between his mubling, the Osbournes show, the Sharon factor, the Ozzpest (aka mallcore fest) he's nothing but a shadow of himself. Pretty pathetic way to go IMO :cry:

mug5.jpg

NP: Denigh - 'Give Me Strength'

When was he ever overrated as a vocalist? People know his name but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say he was an amazing singer. His music was great, but the vocals have never been the high point - sort of like Roth-era Van Halen.

That being said Over the Mountain is a hard song to sing, so not everything he did was awful vocally.

And yes, Dio (and Martin/Gillen, etc.) are much better than Ozzy vocally.

You don't! I have it on a tribute album and it :puke:

Ozzy was a capable frontman and singer for classic BS, he made good stuff with Randy, and some good songs here and there with Jake and the Zakk.

Nowdays between his mubling, the Osbournes show, the Sharon factor, the Ozzpest (aka mallcore fest) he's nothing but a shadow of himself. Pretty pathetic way to go IMO :cry:

mug5.jpg

NP: Denigh - 'Give Me Strength'

hahahahahahahhaahahaha :lol: what a great pictures Dud where you found that men? hahah amasing, well wherever i love Ozzy by his own and i love ozzy in black sabbath, his personal life dosent care to me just his great music !

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. No one is going to argue that Ozzy is a better singer than Dio. But Ozzy is a great vocalist. His style of singing fit Sabbath perfectly in the early days, and Dio fit as they moved into the 80s.

With his solo career, Ozzy was always able to find very talented guitar players to accent his style, and kudos to him for that. He released many classic albums without Sabbath, and his singing was a key to that success.

He has a very unique vocal style, in a category unto his own, except for copycats. I admire him for that alone.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. No one is going to argue that Ozzy is a better singer than Dio. But Ozzy is a great vocalist. His style of singing fit Sabbath perfectly in the early days, and Dio fit as they moved into the 80s.

With his solo career, Ozzy was always able to find very talented guitar players to accent his style, and kudos to him for that. He released many classic albums without Sabbath, and his singing was a key to that success.

He has a very unique vocal style, in a category unto his own, except for copycats. I admire him for that alone.

+1 well said... sometimes i feel like people put Ozzy's singing down because they feel they must praise Dio or else think they will be osctracized... Ozzy first and foremost is a entertainer... he never claimed to be a great singer... but his vocals and personality fit BS's early years much better then Dio's did... Dio was made for the 80's (as was Ozzy)... and even though it was Tony who came out with the riffs... it was Ozzy that gave the songs personality and umphhh onstage (Tony is boring onstage) ... :kickass:

Was a big fan. Sabbath, and his solo career up til and including No Rest for the Wicked.:kickass: I still play it all regularly in my home.

Hats off to my brethren; Lordcatfish (WFD is a great song), TS Outcast and
Faith no More who also enjoy his late 80's excursions. :headbang:

I am not saying Ozzy is an average singer. He's great and his solo career was truly exceptional. But there have been instances when I have heard people say he's 'the best ever' and that none of the Sabbath eras hold a candle to the Ozzy era (true that many classic songs were during that time though).

I kind of disagree that he is the best though. A legend, but ONE of the many legends like Ian Gillan, Dio, etc. who ruled that period.

Have to agree with Unfaithfully Metalhead. Ozzy had his day, and was a good singer for his music. I doubt anyone would compare his vocal ability straight up against Dio, or Martin, or Gillen. However, Ozzy was part of the beginnings of metal with Sabbath, and many of those songs hold up today. Blizzard and Diary are still strong albums today, and others like Ultimate Sin still have incredibly strong songs on them. He was an icon, but his time is long gone.

I think people view Ozzy with what I call the Metallica effect (and I'm subject to this same problem). When someone rode SO high, and now has fallen SO low, there is a tendency to understate their former greatness. Ozzy helped to define metal in the 70's. Metallica did the same in the 80's. I admit that I somewhat cringe when hearing old Metallica, just because of what they've become. But, there's no ignoring how great they were, and what they did for the genre. I think the same goes for Ozzy.

Pure vocal genius or not (not), Ozzy was great. Now he's not.

Steve in Philly

I think people view Ozzy with what I call the Metallica effect (and I'm subject to this same problem). When someone rode SO high, and now has fallen SO low, there is a tendency to understate their former greatness.
I thought of this last night after I made my post. There are great similarities to the careers of Ozzy and Metallica. Once great, once ground-breaking, but they've destroyed their reputations to the point where their great work is ignored because of the stigma attached to their name today. I try not to get caught up in that stigma by continuing to play 80s Ozzy and Metallica on a fairly regular basis...just to remind myself how great they were!

check out Hellfueled - I don't think the singers trying to copy Ozzy... I think the dude just naturally sounds like a very young Ozzy. http://www.hellfueled.com/
Yeah, kitty, that guy does sound like a young Ozzy and I don't think he's trying to be a copycat. But guys with that natural style of voice are few and far between.

Of course its hard for everyone who loved his older music to accept the man who was once a "legend" in his current form.

Life goes on and at the end of the day its about paying your bills, setting up your future and your families future/legacy.

Ozzy probably still enjoys performing, even if he is only a shadow of his former self.

I don't blame him for continuing, although I personal wish he would call it a day. But how he lives his life is his business or his wife's:heh: