Ozzy Osbourne

His voice sounds good yes... A lot of Punk and even Metal bands have singing which sounds like shouting in lot of cases... I must admit if he didn't sound good I would have never would having gotten into anything besides Rammstien... Which is fucking be-uatiful in my opinion and also Liabach...
Punk bands have that going on a lot yes, with a few exceptions like Joey Ramone, Jello Biafra, Glenn Danzig, etc. As for metal bands, shouting isn't terribly common vocally, unless you're listening to a bunch of nu metal or something like that.

Ozzy's a tough point for me, though not to the point some other musicians are, because while I love some of his work, and I think he's probably a nice guy at heart, but his current career makes me wonder just how complicit he is in the current state of affairs. With someone like say, Dave Mustaine, you pretty much know he's an asshole, but Ozzy's pretty much just gone along with whatever happens now. If you look at the net effect of things now, it doesn't matter, he still is a negative influence on music today, regardless of what he was before, but he seems so...passive about it. I'm not familiar with much of the recent news, just fragmented memories though, so I probably could get a better judgment after more research.

I don't see how he's a negative influence. Sure, his recent output hasn't been great, but the man is still one of the four founding fathers of metal as a genre, and his solo career was invaluable in spearheading trad metal into the 80's and putting guitar legends into a spotlight they may not have otherwise had.

I'm sorry, perhaps I should have specified. I mean more recently. His TV show, shitty lineups at Ozzfest, different recording fiascos. It feels to me like he's contributed negatively to the reputation of metal because of these influences.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Sure all those things really suck, but he's done far too much good to the point where even when he screws up, it's almost impossible to do any palpable damage to the genre. He's a good man at heart, and his contributions to music are in ways, barely calculable. I don't think he decides Ozzfest's lineup anyways.

His writer deserves the real props for writing songs which truly reject materialism and the spiritual deadness of our time!

Correct. His name is Bob Daisley and he's a legend. Check out his book 'For Facts Sake' to get the low-down on his Ozzy years.

Sure all those things really suck, but he's done far too much good to the point where even when he screws up, it's almost impossible to do any palpable damage to the genre. He's a good man at heart, and his contributions to music are in ways, barely calculable. I don't think he decides Ozzfest's lineup anyways.

I agree with this. There's no doubting that there's been some incredibly odd/bad decisions made - check out my post on the business a couple of pages back. But even though he's largely become, unwittingly it must be said, a bit of a pop culture Kardashian figure, he is still a legend of not just metal but music. It's just unfortunate that his wife kept pushing the envelope with ways to make money and he was too apathetic/drunk to do anything about it except go along with it.

Basically if you work with Ozzy two things are certain. 1. You're going to get fucked. 2. You're still going to talk about how Ozzy is a good guy. It's incredible.

It seems to me that Ozzy was one of the first ones to start metal music when he was with Black Sabbath in the 1970's...I love how he ventured out on his own as well and has been so successful...He is just awesome even today...he is a classic and will never be old in my mind!!! 8-]]

I just wonder how much more Ozzy could've done if he wasn't always in danger of relapsing. And no matter what anyone says, his foray into reality TV did damage his music cred.

I just wonder how much more Ozzy could've done if he wasn't always in danger of relapsing. And no matter what anyone says, his foray into reality TV did damage his music cred.

Correct on the second part, but part of Ozzy's appeal to me is that he was always indulging in addiction. It makes his story so much more compelling than if he was just a straight businessman like his wife.