packing decisions: CD cases, old new yorkers, etc.

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
sooo I'm making some difficult keep-or-save decisions as I move into my new dinky apartment. one of the hardest is throwing away a big crate with maybe four years of the New Yorker (I saved every issue I got while I lived here), with a random scattering of Bizarre magazine. but I think it's got to go. I can always buy that "125 years of the new yorker" CD thing that was posted on here a little while ago, I guess.

now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my jewel boxes. I put most of my CDs in a couple of big binders although truth be told I don't listen to CDs much at all--I buy 'em, rip 'em to my computer, and upload 'em to my mp3 player.

so I have several big boxes full of empty jewel boxes. i guess i will end up throwing them away?! i can keep some to use as holders for CDROMs, i guess. but is there any reason I'll need them? I like the art on the back of many, but that's not enough reason to keep them. maybe I should spend a couple of hours and strip the cardboard backing out of each case? but that sounds like a mess in the making, of stuff I'll never use.

argh!

I have the some 500 CDs in Binder-type things as well but I always stripped the art from the jewel boxes... just in case.... I don't know but I would hang on to that for some reason.

well it depends, if they're important cd's or ones you might want to resell someday i'd guess i'd go to the trouble of saving everything, otherwise, screw it.

yeah, i think i (and jodi) would be much happier if i downsized much of them to something like those plastic sheets. i have boxes and boxes of jewel cased discs, and the only reason i really can think of for keeping them is to sell the disc.

im like 99% sure everyone on this board probably has a ridiculous amount of cd's. i could build a 4 bedroom fort out of mine. i should do something about that.
i already sold over 50% of all my books or gave them away, so at least that removes some of the clutter.

i'm still in the mode of "i can never get rid of a book even if it sucks". i guess it's the library preservation person in me with a dash of english major.

so, yeah, i have a ton of books to pack, too.

i guess for me i just realized it was some psychologically weird hoarding thing i had and really, all the books are in the library and what was the point? so i just sold them or gave them to people who would actually READ THEM. i also realized how obnoxious it is to see a person with tons of books being a friggin smarty pants.

also, i meant that i looked like a jerky smarty pants (mostly b/c my books with my roommates was a ridiculous display of unintentional pretention). not anyone else.

I usually have to take the hit of just throwing some things out and not looking back but it's hard because I'm such a packrat. Magazines usually are the first to go, be it the New Yorker, Bizarre, Wizard, etc. I usually wind up regretting it because something I want to see again always winds up being in there but it needs to be done.

In my world, books and CDs (including cases) are sacred. I'd scrap my washer/dryer to make space for'em if it ever came to that.
I wanna live like John Zorn, no furniture, no basic amenities, no food, just tons o'media of all shapes and sizes.

Man I can't sell any of my CDs, even the crappiest third-league Italian power metal I bought when I was 15 has sentimental value. Also really funny spelling and gramatical errors like "rhythmic guitars."

throwing away my youth: i have a whole jarful of credit cards i collected to gnaw on while rolling. many are toothmarked, but most waited vainly for the day i'd roll again. all must go.

having just gone through this, here's some words to live by: WHEN IN DOUBT, THROW IT OUT

I got rid of a ton of stuff and still ended up with craploads of boxes I wish I had left on the side of the highway. Clean starts are good.

As for the jewel cases or whatever else, just post in on craigslist. Someone will want it.