Do You Hate Making Decisions?

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
Does anybody here hate making decisions? I do.

Here's my dilemma -- it is all about the things I do it home. I have some choices to make on how I should act at home. Here is my situation:

Work purchased for me training materials to become a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. They spent a couple thousand dollars on material. I feel I must study very hard and complete this entire training within a year to ensure that they made good decision in paying for me. Also, as a husband, I should be supportive to my wife. She works to. I don't consider that the fact I make more money than her makes my job any more important than hers. I'm just as responsible for helping around the house -- things like laundry, vacuuming, dusting, and general cleaning should be done by me also. But I only have so many hours in a day. Something has to give. Either I spend less time helping and more time studying, or I can take longer than a year to complete my studies, and help more around the house. Both are equally important for different reasons. I am leaning towards the latter of the two -- help more and take more time complete my studies. That's the "balance" that I feel is necessary in life. Money should not be the driving force - even though I know I have the potential to make a lot more money once I'm certified.

Do you find yourself making these types of decisions? And don't you hate having to decide? I do

MCSE? NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

OK, take this from someone who is studying it too. DO NOT SACRAFICE YOUR PERSONAL LIFE!!!!!!!!!!

I sat (and passed, hooray) #70-210 about a month ago, it was in my work contract to pass one every 2 months. I ended up taking 3 months to nail the first one, and they didn't mind, they could see I was putting the effort in, and hey, I passed and am the only one there to have bothered to learn the stuff, so they were happy. But I made one MASSIVE mistake: I spent ALL my spare time studying. Did an hour each night after work (leaving me 1 & 1/2 hours before going to bed), I spent all day Sat & Sun, and in the month leading up to it, most lunch hours. In all, about 120 hours of my own time (I got 4 hours per week during work as well) for one friggin exam. DO NOT DO THIS. HAVE A LIFE. I won't be taking this approach again, I sacraficed enough, and having done the exam, I realised it wasn't really neccessary. Set time aside, absolutely, but don't make my mistake, it really isn't worth it. As long as your work see you put in an effort, they should (unless their nazis :D ) be ok. I learnt that you can only learn things at your own pace, forcing it is pointless.

OK, I know that wasn't what you asked for, but arrrrrghhhh, I just had to vent, sorry, MCSE winds me up ;)

Yes, I hate making decisions. Nobody who is sensible asks me for a decision, they always get a 'I dunno', or a 'maybe'.

I cannot know fully what you are going through, but I am planning to go into the computer industry eventually. I think I will do something computer-related in college, but I don't really want to take the extra-strenuous courses leaving me with little spare time.

I would say, if you are happy and doing fine with your current salary and are leading a "balanced" life at home as you say you are, don't worry too much about the MCSE. I would definitely try to show your company that you care, are appreciative for their spending so much on the materials, and are willing to make sacrifices to better the company.

However, I would NOT do anything to negatively affect your personal life. If it is strictly about a little bit more money, screw it! Cherish what you have now with your family, but avoid making a mistake at work. I definitely would say shoot for the latter option.

...and to answer your topic, I hate making decisions. I usually try to avoid the situation for awhile until I absolutely have to face it.

Decisions. I always feel that im able to make decisions tomorrow. Every important decision i have to make i always feel like i only need 1 day without worrying about it and then ill be able to tackle it. But of course eventually the next day comes and i still dont feel like making any decision.

Im fine with analysing a situation to help make any choice, but i usually end up over-analysing and suddenly every option has good and bad points and it just makes it even harder to decide.

now, will i hit "submit reply" or won't i?....
is this really worth adding to this discussion?...
hm, well im gonna post it anyway....

(the above is a sample decision making, showing my tendency to ignore any analysis i do) :)

It depends. I want to do my own decisions, I don't want anyone else to do them for me. It's my life.
But on the other hand, I hate making decisions :p because I can't make them, it takes at least forever when making those. For instance, I have to choose one from two things; I can NEVER do that, I just keep thinking, comparing them and finally I loose my nerves. I don't know why it's that way but it drives me nuts and other people too :loco: Maybe that's the curse being a libra.

Decision making sucks, but at the same time I often feel better once it's out of the way.

The type of decision you're talking about - having to sacrifice something because there's not enough time for everything, that's one of the hardest. I always want to be doing everything and I can never decide what to give up, or spend less time on.

I usually hate making decisions but once they are made i virtually never have doubts in my mind, im the kinda guy who sticks with his bad decisions just as much as with the good ones.

Originally posted by llamaura
Decision making sucks, but at the same time I often feel better once it's out of the way.

that's how i handle it too, usually. naturally depends on the situation. i'm rather quick in making decisions @ work, but as for private things, they take like ages unless someone forces me to decide.

as for the MCSE... the mayor drawback is that you have to refresh your certificate every 2 years or so, when microsoft throws a new OS on the market. i had in mind to get an MCSD (solution developer), but i don't want to manage work + edu together, and the benefit is quite unsure... if you plan to work in smaller companys it might even be a hindrance to have these fortified MS thinking structures... even now as linux gains ground and even ibm sends commercials with linux-based servers. i don't think ms will be state of the art in system engineering in some years... but that's just an educated guess.