Pagan Altar's status?

^Agreed, although I think anything beyond 20-25 people showing up for PA is optimistic. Still, it's better than 0 which is what Arkona would bring.

People overestimate the drawing power of metal bands. Candlemass (who hadn't toured the U.S in 17 yrs) drew roughly 130 people here in the mega-metropolis known as L.A

Half the people who listen to Arkona in the MSP area (about 5 people) have a hard enough time leaving the house to go to the grocery store, let alone buying a ticket and being surrounded by us classy individuals. Arkona's a roughly new band from BFE, so what fans they do have are youngsters who are logged on to metal-dating.com for hours on end. Pagan Altar, which has been around longer than Farrah Faucet's age spots, has an older troop of heavy metal foot soldiers. Most of which know the grind of the 9 to 5. A job equals money, money equals food, you can't have money without a dolphin, I don't see a dolphin around here, do you!!!!!!!!!!??!?!

People overestimate the drawing power of metal bands. Candlemass (who hadn't toured the U.S in 17 yrs) drew roughly 130 people here in the mega-metropolis known as L.A

Half the people who listen to Arkona in the MSP area (about 5 people) have a hard enough time leaving the house to go to the grocery store, let alone buying a ticket and being surrounded by us classy individuals. Arkona's a roughly new band from BFE, so what fans they do have are youngsters who are logged on to metal-dating.com for hours on end. Pagan Altar, which has been around longer than Farrah Faucet's age spots, has an older troop of heavy metal foot soldiers. Most of which know the grind of the 9 to 5. A job equals money, money equals food, you can't have money without a dolphin, I don't see a dolphin around here, do you!!!!!!!!!!??!?!

wait a minute!

... there's a metal-dating.com??

Woo Hoo! I helped them get over the 129 mark. :kickass:

I see one!

Yeah, in the past couple of years, I have seen:
CANDLEMASS play in front of maybe 200 people
TROUBLE play to as low as 50 people
MANILLA ROAD play to about 100 people

If you went with internet hype, you would guess each band would easily draw 500 +.

You just never know. And these are more than well established bands.

A fest like this will certainly be beneficial for ARKONA, but would ARKONA be beneficial (from a monetary and longevity perspective) for the fest? Sure, they would most likely go over great, but if in the end they would get paid with a "Thank you" and a "6 pack of beer" at most, would it go over well?

If you want a prime example of internet hype vs. real drawing power... I think Therion booked a US tour based on internet fans alone and drew all of 50 people in Philly and maybe like 150-200 in NYC. And that is NOT a cheap band to book with the elaborate stage show and opera singers.

At the same time, Paradise Lost drew about the same amount in NYC and they've been around since forever and most of their fanbase just forgets anything after Draconian Times happened. I'm sure Pagan Altar will draw, but not all that many people, and certainly not the people they theoretically should. But, to be fair, that never stopped this festival ever and that's one of the many reasons why this festival destroys anything else attempted in the states, maybe besides ProgPower.

Pagan Altar would only probably bring in about 50 or so people I'd think. Pagan Altar's first gig in England after so many years only drew 200-250 people, with 4 other outstanding bands!

Anyways, Pagan Altar rules, and I will be a very happy man to see them again.