paganfest 08! TURISAS and TYR!

I think they are coming back this year...Someone said Turisas said see ya in november and I just heard about manegarm being asked to a canadian tour in november...if Manegarm declined Paganfest i'll kill them myself!

Tyr sucked live. bad song selection, shitty 5150 amps, and only 3 and a half minutes to play

yeah, they played a hella short set. but i think they have too, since two guys are playing in both tyr and eluveitie (one from each band. see the interviews on the main page for details). and i bet it was a strategic choice.

i really wanted to hear hammer of thor
~gR~

I thought I'd take some time off and live a little. Then I thought I'd come back and whip this board into shape, but it's surprisingly become a rather civil arena for wholesome discussion with scant elitism to be found.

I was kind of disappointed. I wanted to spill some blood. (I also recently realized that most of the elitist types were nothing more than surly college kids flexing imaginary ideological muscles behind the relative anonymity of the Internet. Who knew?)

Anyway, PAGANFEST! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!

*hacks poser to death with battleaxe*

Seriously, this was one of the best shows I've ever been to.

Tyr sounded far better than they did on any album, Eluveitie was... orgasmic, Sudaikra was alright (not my cup of tea), Turisas was fucking EPIC and Ensiferum were also very good (it just sucked that the majority of their set list consisted of stuff off of Victory Songs).

Went to the Orangevale show on Wednesday the 7th.

Opening Band, "At Dawn" - lulz

Suidakra - Never got real into these guys but often enjoyed what I've heard. They put on a good show, I hung out with Lars later on in the night, through broken english and a creative game of charades, I gather that he is a likable fellow.

Only problems here was some band sound board management, almost couldn't hear the lead at all depending on where you were standing.

Eluveitie - I don't really care for these guys on CD but hot damn do they put on a good show. Good stage presence and crowd interraction.

Once again sound problems plagued them, if the singer is going to pull a little flute out of his pocket and start rockin away, you should be able to here it. The other guy playing a flute most of the time was discernible though probably due to the better micing situation (headset of some sort).

Tyr - I love these guys but Eluveitie is a tough act to follow. They played two songs off the upcoming "Land" album that sounded good but overall their spot was kinda "meh" the song selection was off.

They weren't hurt by a bad mix as much as the other bands but one of the guitars was slightly out of tune, enough so that you noticed it but you also doubted if that's what you were hearing. Judging by the looks they were giving each other, I think it was out of tune. I wanted to ask Heri about this, but everytime I saw he was obviously walking somewhere with a purpose and the most I got was a "pat on the back/shove aside" gesture.

Turisas - What can I say whether you like them or not, they stole the show. They had problems with the backing track right after the intro, but Olli played a little violin for us and we all sang "Habby Burday" to some chick at the front.

Ensiferum - Who could give a shit about Ensiferum after seeing Turisas? At least that's what the crowd felt like. Everything seemed to peter out after Turisas left, but they did a good job. Although I am fairly anti-petri. They had horrible sound problems with whole mics going out during "Guardians of Fate", imagine that song without the background vocals, ick.

Overall the night was great, it's easy to look over the various sound problems since they were generally fixed quickly and the atmosphere of the whole place was so great.