Pain of Salvation - "12:5"

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
Anybody else here get the new Pain of Salvation acoustic live album? It might be the most beautiful album I've ever heard. This band is supremely talented, and they really changed the songs around. Very interesting concept. Highlights for me are the sublime "Dryad of the Woods" and the suprising happy version of "Ashes"... which features amazing vocals from Daniel.

It's positively stunning, one of the best live albums ever. This version of Ashes is brilliant, while obviously a tad cheeky. It's so confusing, the song puts a smile on my face and makes me want to sing out loud, but then I realize that the lyrics are still extremely dark and disturbing; it's a very weird experience. One of the most surprising things about the album, is how it's forced me to revisist Entropia, which I am now appreciating much more. Oh yeah, and the vocal harmonies on Chain Sling are mind-blowing. Is anyone else surprised to hear what great singer's the rest of the band are?

Evan R said:
It's positively stunning, one of the best live albums ever. This version of Ashes is brilliant, while obviously a tad cheeky. It's so confusing, the song puts a smile on my face and makes me want to sing out loud, but then I realize that the lyrics are still extremely dark and disturbing; it's a very weird experience. One of the most surprising things about the album, is how it's forced me to revisist Entropia, which I am now appreciating much more. Oh yeah, and the vocal harmonies on Chain Sling are mind-blowing. Is anyone else surprised to hear what great singer's the rest of the band are?
I've been singing aloud to this album constantly! I think "Ashes" is just brilliant. "Entropia" is a very weird album... but everything that's used on 12:5 works perfectly. I like how Johan takes over the lead vox on "Chain Sling"... it frees up Daniel to do some really interesting stuff. Also... Frederick Hermansson is just a monster on this disc... his piano and harpsichord playing is just stunning. I especially love his piano solo near the end of the sublime "Dryad of the Woods".

I love this CD. Sounds great, and the reworkings are all masterful. Gildenlow really hams it up on Ashes but it is all in good fun and sounds pretty cool. Hopefully Be will be even better :cool: