Pain of salvation

Jul 11, 2008
Any fands of this band from Sweden on here? They are in my top three bands right now (with Opeth and Tool) and they are amazing. I hesitate to call them progressive metal (to me, they are closer to progressive rock with a few metal riffs thrown in every once and a while) but they are always lumped into that category. I love the complexity of their songs, and their albums for that matter. Their technicality and musicianship is amazing. Daniel Gildenlow has an amazing voice and writes amazing lyrics (except a few duds here and there, but who doesn't do that?). My favorite album by them is Remedy Lane, with One Hour by the Concrete Lake a close second. And, yeah, I like Scarsick.

I wish they would release a new album already! And tour in the USA, too. Bush is out, Gildenlow, come to the US!

You won't find many fans of the band here, but there is me - the lone PoS fanboy. Absolutely amazing in every regard. Top notch songwriting, excellent musicianship, and impeccable vocals.

Not a single bad album to their name.

The Perfect Element and BE are my two favorites.

I'm definitely going to be seeing them this summer, no matter what!

I am also a big fan. I disagree with there not being a bad album in their catalog though. Scarsick is not very good. Everything else is BRILLIANT however. Entropia and Be are my favs. The BE DVD is mindblowing!!

^Agreed. I like it a lot. It isn't as good as their other stuff, since it isn't so proggish, but I still enjoy it a lot. Has some really great tracks.

I love progressive metal, but these guys are so incredibly overrated. I really like Entropia, but everything else they're done just bores me. Remedy Lane (aside from Beyond the Pale) is the worst offender.

I would actually agree that they aren't metal, but for some reason they are labeled as prog-metal. I would put them under a heavy prog rock band.

Remedy lane and Perfect element are great albums (minus a few songs)

Be has a couple hits, mostly just Iter Impius and Vocari Dei ("please tell me why these horrible things happen? Why did those two towers had to fall and how could you let that happen?")

Scarsick is bland and has some rap? uhhh

ummm haven't really spent enough time with the other albums to give a good opinion.

I can't listen to scarsick knowing this band has sooo much more potential. Not to mention album as a whole is just straight awkward and I hate the sound of babies crying.

there were no babies crying, it was more a baby cooing or whatever it is called

anyways, i got the 2DVD/2CD set of Ending Themes (Of the Two Deaths of Pain of Salvation)

didn't watch the documentary DVD yet but the live concert DVD was bomb ass

I'm afraid to watch any documentaries on PoS or interviews with Gildenlow, because I have heard he is a pretentious dick, which really wouldn't surprise me. I'd rather just stay ignorant.

I'm afraid to watch any documentaries on PoS or interviews with Gildenlow, because I have heard he is a pretentious dick, which really wouldn't surprise me. I'd rather just stay ignorant.

BE kinda suggested that to me tbh, but prog tends to be pretty pretentious, comes with the territory

I don't like PoS much myself, but I'm a raging Dream Theater fanboy, so I will not judge too harshly.

they are opening for Dream Theater on the Prog Nation tour this summer.should be interesting to see live.i've seen clips of the BE DVD on youtube but haven't seen any of their other songs performed live.