Panning of Leads

Sep 20, 2005
I'm having trouble with how to pan my lead guitars. What I do on really heavy Dense music is I double it and pan 30 L R and then split into a harmony when I want one (which is a lot) But I'm doing a CD right now for my band and the music isn't that heavy (think Soilwork with no screaming) And I'm not sure what to do with the leads, but I DON'T want to double everything. I really like the way Peter Whichers (sp?) leads sound and I imitated it as best as I could, but I'm running into a problem. When I do on track and then another harmonizing some of the time (both center) the volume jumps up a lot when the harmony comes in.

Should I pan out once the harmony comes in and leave it in the center while it's by itself? turn down the volume of the harmony? Drop the volume of both tracks when the harmony comes in?

Thanks in advance! If people are interested I will post a clip.

Put the harmony lower than the main lead, or drop the volume of both during the harmonies while keeping them at same level. Or even stranger - take the 100% wet reverb signal of the harmony and pan that around the center lead 30% L/R.

Yes, keep the lead as a single track. When the harmony enters, drop both volumes with what you prefer. I always have the harmony 2-3dBs lower.

If you want to give it some stereo effect, make sure you use a stereo delay. Maybe even add chorus to the delays. Sounds sweet.

Hold on - which era Soilwork (without screams)? The newest one is relatively tame, but I can't put in Chainheart Machine or A Predator's Portrait and not think HEAVY.

Oh, and for chorusing delays - this combination has been known to cause in 30% of Wankers suffering from Inherent Guitar God Complex an untreatable condition known as CC DeVille Syndrome, which although being minimally harmful to the sufferer may cause spasms of extreme discomfort and nausea to those unfortunate enough to have to listen to him. Exposure to Freebird, intoxicants, and/or modern blues may increase effects significantly, as can opportunities to trash hotel rooms and/or buses in an unoriginal and bland fashion and prolonged contact with worshipping hordes of trashy blondes.

This message courtesy of the Committee of People Sick As Shit Of Unoriginal Hacks Who Effect All Fuck Out Of Solos In Attempts to Pass Off Work As Inspired and Relevant. Donations accepted in cash, credit, check, and having 80s comebacks whacked with barstools.

Jeff

JBroll said:
Hold on - which era Soilwork (without screams)? The newest one is relatively tame, but I can't put in Chainheart Machine or A Predator's Portrait and not think HEAVY.

Sorry, I should clarify, MY band is not very heavy. Our songs (riffs and song structure) Are similer to Natural Born Chaos era Soilwork, but we don't scream. Anyway, I LOVE soilwork but the recent albums are pretty light. I don't mean that in a bad way at all, I just thought it was a good way of explaining the density of the music my band plays. Chainheart Machine is definatly a very heavy album! :headbang:

Fucking NBC Rules! Of course, it did have Devin Townsend producing it, so that may be part of why it's so dense but not as brutal as their earlier stuff.

Jeff